questions regarding Cisco StackWise

m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
I have a following Cisco StackWise setup:
Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                 
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------               
*    1 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(53)SE1           C3750-IPBASEK9-M         
     2 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(53)SE1           C3750-IPBASEK9-M         
     3 12    WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(53)SE1           C3750-IPBASEK9-M
As you can see, switch 1 is selected as a stack master. Is there a service interruption if I do:
switch 1 priority 5
switch 2 priority 15
..which sets the priority of the first switch lower than the second one? In addition, when does the stack-master election occur? According to Cisco documentation, it is a part of the bootup process, but is there a way to manually force stack-master election once I have changed the priority? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can change the priority of whichever switch you want to be the master, but I believe you will need to reboot the stack in order for it to take effect.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    *BB* wrote: »
    You can change the priority of whichever switch you want to be the master, but I believe you will need to reboot the stack in order for it to take effect.

This is correct. I've got multiple 3750 stacks.
  • Options
    m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
    *BB*, cisco_trooper:

ok, so there isn't any other way to evoke master election other than reboot the whole switch stack? So basically following commands:
    switch 1 priority 5
    switch 2 priority 15

..will prefer the switch 2 to become a master once the next election takes place, but once the whole stack isn't rebooted, nothing happens? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Well, I suppose you could disconnect the stack master then reconnect it within the stack election window. Should be 20 to 60 seconds if I remember right.
  • Options
    Ok. Stack master election from Troubleshooting Switch Stacks - Cisco Systems
    A new stack master is elected when you:
    blank.gifPower off, disconnect, or reboot the current stack master.
    blank.gifPower on all switches in a new stack at the same time.
    blank.gifReboot all switches after you manually change the stack member priorities by using the CLI.
    blank.gifConnect a powered-on stack to another powered-on stack merging two separate stacks merge into one.