Windows 8 really?

2»

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    petedude wrote: »
    Yeah, but every time M$ includes something in the base OS to replace third-party software, some other little company gets their business $$ taken away.

Not often. MS may wait until the patent expires to include an implementation of a particular technology, they may license a stripped-down version of a product from the company that can still sell the full-featured version, or they may just buy the company outright. MS is careful about this after the antitrust issues with IE. MS and the DOJ spent a lot of money fighting about IE and it turns out that we have better browser technology and more choice today even though IE is bundled with Windows.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm looking forward to Windows 8, from a personal and a professional viewpoint. It's going to be a great OS. Of course, delaying upgrading for several years and sticking with an outdated OS is a lot less secure and reliable than it is to implement a new, more secure OS sooner. Yes, compatibility is an issue, but it isn't as bad as it is made out to be. I think a lot of it comes down to compatibility with the wallet. If it works, don't touch it - people on XP aren't having any issues (yet) that warrant a change to Windows 7. The OS is just a launching pad to the end users main applications. It doesn't need to be much, as long as it works.

I can see why companies don't upgrade, even though there are numerous reasons why they should upgrade. $$ and the transparency of the OS.

For me, though, I'm going to immerse myself in Windows 8 like I did with 7 and Vista and XP and 2000 before it. Start with the beta and dig deep into it, finding it's little quirks and playing with them.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Hyper-V is now included in Windows 8. Now you won't need VirtualBox to run Server 2008 R2 for demos and labs:
    In building Windows 8 we worked to enable Hyper-V, the machine virtualization technology that has been part of the last 2 releases of Windows Server, to function on the client OS as well. In brief, Hyper-V lets you run more than one 32-bit or 64-bit x86 operating system at the same time on the same computer. Instead of working directly with the computer’s hardware, the operating systems run inside of a virtual machine (VM).

Bringing Hyper-V to ?Windows 8? - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs