Options

New with questions

lerafelerafe Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
Looking for advice-I am new here and working towards A+ cert. Abit of back ground before my questions. I am 50, factory work half my life. Started attending WTI (Witchita Technical Institute) w/cost about 28,000 for A+ and 5(or 6) other certfications in a year and a half. 4.5hrs-4 days a week.

I was half way through A+ 10 weeks course (with a 97% in the class) and had to drop out because of a spinal fusion operation, with plans to return to school after recovery. We were using CertBlaster and A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC (Jean Andrews) as study materials.

Now I am looking at owing 2700 for the A+ course I dropped, and reenrolling and paying again for the class (and others to follow=total 28,000).

I am thinking of self studying using above named materials and guides on this site instead of returning to school.
Questions-
Is it feasible to just study and take the test on my own?

Any other suggestions for study materials?

How close are CertBlaster test to actual test questions?

Length of time needed before taking the test?

Length/ "hardeness" of test?

Is attain the A+ and other certs really worth 28000 vesus self study?

Sorry for length and Thanks for any advice,
Lee

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    lerafe wrote: »

icon_neutral.gif

Each cert examination should cost ~$100-300, which would come out to around $1k (average).

I'm not sure if you're rolling in the dough, but I would study on my own 100000000 times over before shelling out that much money. If you are able to learn and study effectively, then you can do it on your own. There is a wealth of resources on the internet that are 100% free!

Also, sorry to hear about your health issues...if that school will not at least give you a partial refund on the grounds of medical reasons, then you should not give one more cent to them (my $0.02).

Good luck!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First of all welcome to TechExams!!

As far as you questions:

1. Yes even though I had a college class on the A+ I did self study.

2. I used CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition by Mike Meyers. Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (9780071701334): Michael Meyers: Books

3. Not sure never used Cert Blaster

4. I did it in 6 - 7 weeks but everyone learns different

5. 2 Tests: 90 minutes, 100 questions each

6. Depends on the person, personally I have done all mine on my own.
  • Options
    lerafelerafe Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info and advice. Not rolling in the dough thats for sure!.

The local school has been working with me, but the main campus can't "get their head out" and keep sending letters demanding money . I have to call (long distance) and waste time explaining that I had already made plans with the financial dept.

Two more questions, how close are the test questions on this website to actual questions?

And what is the exam code 220-301 on this site? I thought A+ was 220-701 and 702?
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info and advice. Not rolling in the dough thats for sure!.

The local school has been working with me, but the main campus can't "get their head out" and keep sending letters demanding money . I have to call (long distance) and waste time explaining that I had already made plans with the financial dept.

Two more questions, how close are the test questions on this website to actual questions?

And what is the exam code 220-301 on this site? I thought A+ was 220-701 and 702?

Here is CompTia's sample questions, you have fill out some basic info but it will give you an idea on what to expect.

Sample Questions

A+ is 220-701 and 702 currently, the 220-301 is an old exam code that just hasn't been updated on this particular site yet.

I hope you get everything sorted out.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rather than a tech school, are there any community colleges nearby you that offer CompTIA and other IT courses that you're interested in?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Answers to questions:

1) Most definitely, yes.
    2) Plenty of sources already recommended , just search through the forums.
    3) Never used CertBlaster myself so cannot say, but I doubt if they would be pitched much lower than the actual exam standard. I used uCertify (iirc) as one resource, and I found that they were a lot tougher than the actual exam questions (but that is not a bad thing).
    4) That is different for each individual (dependent on experience, ability, motivation etc.)
    5) If you are well prepared, time will not be a factor. The 702 is a little tougher that's for sure (and prior experience and knowledge is a big plus for this one).
    6) You have not mentioned what the other certs are, facilities, whether there is a work experience element to it or not, so I think you'll have to provide more information before anybody can answer that.

You should possibly look to stagger your learning e.g. get your A+ / Network+, try and get some employment based on this. It could even be a possibility that your employer contribute toward further courses and certs.

It is always a good idea to learn from a variety of resources.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello,
    Looking for advice-I am new here and working towards A+ cert. Abit of back ground before my questions. I am 50, factory work half my life. Started attending WTI (Witchita Technical Institute) w/cost about 28,000 for A+ and 5(or 6) other certfications in a year and a half. 4.5hrs-4 days a week.

I was half way through A+ 10 weeks course (with a 97% in the class) and had to drop out because of a spinal fusion operation, with plans to return to school after recovery. We were using CertBlaster and A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC (Jean Andrews) as study materials.

Now I am looking at owing 2700 for the A+ course I dropped, and reenrolling and paying again for the class (and others to follow=total 28,000).

I am thinking of self studying using above named materials and guides on this site instead of returning to school.
    Questions-
    Is it feasible to just study and take the test on my own?

Any other suggestions for study materials?

How close are CertBlaster test to actual test questions?

Length of time needed before taking the test?

Length/ "hardeness" of test?

Is attain the A+ and other certs really worth 28000 vesus self study?

Sorry for length and Thanks for any advice,
    Lee

Lee if the Jean Andrews book is current that is a wonderful resource. Also check out these videos.

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

Not only can you watch free videos for A+, you can do the same for Security +, Network +, and Windows 7.

I would watch the A+ videos and get some traction that way along with your books.

That should be enough to get you an entry level PC job.