Options

Microsoft Certifications - Acquiring the actual certificate?

PA_KidPA_Kid Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

First post here to techexams.net, and quite honestly I'm pretty new to the whole world of IT certifications in general. I've been involved in IT for the better part of 15yrs, but have never really had the need for certifications before. This was simply because for most of this time I was involved with Linux servers, and even more specifically a LAMP environment dealing with websites, marketing, hosting, etc...

Well as things do tend to cycle in the IT world, I'm looking to make the transition back to more of a corporate environment, and get back to my roots with system admin work. So I did some research to see what the latest certifications are from Microsoft, and I do see that MCSE is basically now replaced with MCITP-SA for anything beyond Server 2003.

So I've picked up some training materials for the 3 exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) and I've started up with the 640 material first (Active Directory). I'm still a few weeks out before I would feel comfortable enough to give testing a shot on this part, but at least I have a plan mapped out for myself.

So my question now is this... when you finish off your 3rd exam for the MCITP-SA cert, do you automatically receive a certificate from Microsoft? Or do you have to make contact with Microsoft, provide your test scores, and at that point receive your certificate?

Sorry if this comes off sounding like a silly question, but as mentioned above I'm still pretty fresh to the IT certification world :) Any/all replies are greatly appreciated, and any advice on certificate paths would be a great help as well.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On the MCP site there is an option to order paper versions of the cert. I think it's a $10 charge or something like that. Otherwise you get your MCP ID from Microsoft and you associate that with a Windows Live ID; which gives you access to the MCP site.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here is what it looks like...
  • Options
    On the MCP site there is an option to order paper versions of the cert. I think it's a $10 charge or something like that. Otherwise you get your MCP ID from Microsoft and you associate that with a Windows Live ID; which gives you access to the MCP site.

Thanks so much for the quick reply Robert! So just to clarify, an MCP ID is basically the alternative to getting a paper certificate then? And would the MCP ID be issued to someone immediately upon completing a series of tests, or is there still any sort of manual process that needs to be done?

I guess that's where my own confusion comes in... not so much as in how to obtain the paper certificate, but more so in how to signify that you have actually completed all the requirements for a given certificate. And of course to get some form of proof (whether that be paper or digital) that you have in fact acquired the certificate.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    PA_Kid wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the quick reply Robert! So just to clarify, an MCP ID is basically the alternative to getting a paper certificate then? And would the MCP ID be issued to someone immediately upon completing a series of tests, or is there still any sort of manual process that needs to be done?

I guess that's where my own confusion comes in... not so much as in how to obtain the paper certificate, but more so in how to signify that you have actually completed all the requirements for a given certificate. And of course to get some form of proof (whether that be paper or digital) that you have in fact acquired the certificate.

You first have to login to the MCP site (https://mcp.microsoft.com) using your Windows Live credentials. Once you log in, click on the "Download or purchase a certificate" found under Certificates on the right-hand side. The Certifcate Manager page opens up which lists all of the MS certs you've passed.

There's also a link that allows you to share your transcript, with HR/hiring managers for example. They will need the Transcript ID and Access Code that you have specified. That is all the proof you need. Hope this answers your question.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Once you register and have access to the site, you will be able to download PDF's of your certificates for free and order heavy paper semi gloss versions for cost. Up to six per order for a flat rate. In addition you can give an email access to an employer to your transcript or you can download a watermarked PDF transcript. Further you will have access to a cert/education planner program; business card creator for download or web access. Also access to the crappy logo store (crappy because they are always out of everything) and access to third party offers like free Redmond magazine.

That is all that I recall at the moment.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have to request and purchase it. I always buy them, but I'll usually let them stack up. They charge $10 for the first an 99 cents for the next 5. So individually that could be $60. Or if you save some up only $15.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    You are issued an MCP ID number as soon as you register for your very first Microsoft test. It will stay with you for life unless something goes wrong with your profile.

On completion of your first test you should be awarded the MCTS certification or MCP dependent on what exam you are taking, in your case the MCTS. After that you are awarded certificates on the completion of each exam series rather than for each individual test.

e.g MCSA, MCSE, MCITP SA, MCITP EA and so on.

When you finish your test you will be sent log on details for the Microsoft member site which as stated will require you to associate your Windows Live I.D with it in order to access the site. If you don't have one its a good idea to creat one in advance.

Your certificates will be available to either download and print off yourself or to order a hard copy. Watch the postage if you are outside the U.S.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks so much for all the replies, you guys have been a wealth of information for someone just starting down the certification path! It's really great that there's such an active community here on the forum, looking forward to interacting more over the coming weeks/months.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've only ever downloaded the PDFs to print out. For those who have ordered a paper copy from Microsoft does it look identical, i.e with the horrible white border? Or do the colours go right up to the edge? If it's the former I'll stick with printing them out at work!
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really miss those wallet cards...those were cool
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    buzzkill wrote: »
    I've only ever downloaded the PDFs to print out. For those who have ordered a paper copy from Microsoft does it look identical, i.e with the horrible white border? Or do the colours go right up to the edge? If it's the former I'll stick with printing them out at work!

The ones you order do not have the white border and are on heavier paper.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The ones you order do not have the white border and are on heavier paper.

That's good to know, certainly makes it more worthwhile in that case.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The colors are also brighter like the orange is really rust for example. Probably Pantone matches
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO