Virtual SAN

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
There was a lot of interest in this, so here it is: Budget Laboratory: Part 2 - iSCSI Virtual SAN with FreeNAS 8 | Fix the Exchange!

I also thought about doing a video for it. Would anyone prefer a video over the step-by-step screen shot format? Or would a video just be a waste of time?

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Personally I've always preferred the screenshot format. It enables me to skip to the pertinent content and bypass the rest. I usually skip any videos when I'm searching on something or other as they take too long for me to get the info that I want.

Good looking tutorial, the loads of screenshots is handy. Personally I'd prefer a bit more insight/explanation into why you pick specific options i.e. why pick ZFS. This lets the reader peak into your head and understand more rather and can then make a more informed decision when they're going through things in the real world.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    undomiel wrote: »
    Personally I've always preferred the screenshot format. It enables me to skip to the pertinent content and bypass the rest. I usually skip any videos when I'm searching on something or other as they take too long for me to get the info that I want.
    That was kind of my feeling as well, but different people have different learning styles. Just not sure what most people would be looking for in this regard.
    undomiel wrote: »
    Good looking tutorial, the loads of screenshots is handy. Personally I'd prefer a bit more insight/explanation into why you pick specific options i.e. why pick ZFS. This lets the reader peak into your head and understand more rather and can then make a more informed decision when they're going through things in the real world.
    Yeah I did that a little more in my 1st article I think. This one I had so many screen shots and just wanted to get it out there. As much as I hate to edit it after it has already been published, I may go back and add some more explanations in tomorrow. Why I did a single 300GB drive is another thing I wanted to go into more detail on for example.
    I decided to go back and add a little more to the article (thanks for the suggestion by the way). It's worth another read if you've already read it. I also fixed some of the screen shots that mysteriously wandered off.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Fantastic write up!

I'm looking forward to your write ups on The AD/Server upgrade.
  • SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like it! Great article, I prefer the step by step screenshot style over a video.

Thanks!
    Thanks all.

I spotted something missing on this one, and have corrected it. I forgot to include adding the extent to the target. This is now the last part of the article.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I'm glad I read this because I've been racking my brain regarding setting up my lab. I'm going to use FreeNAS for storage in my home network but then I was reading more and more about using FreeNAS iSCSI as a datastore for ESXi. I'm new to storage so I've been reading none stop regarding best practice for this. I didn't know if should set up 5 drives in RAIDZ and partition some of that do use for iSCSI or should I just get 2 drives to use for iSCSI and 3 for RAIDZ.

*lost and confused*

icon_sad.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    jahsoul wrote: »
    I'm glad I read this because I've been racking my brain regarding setting up my lab. I'm going to use FreeNAS for storage in my home network but then I was reading more and more about using FreeNAS iSCSI as a datastore for ESXi. I'm new to storage so I've been reading none stop regarding best practice for this. I didn't know if should set up 5 drives in RAIDZ and partition some of that do use for iSCSI or should I just get 2 drives to use for iSCSI and 3 for RAIDZ.

*lost and confused*

icon_sad.gif

Well you'll probably want to read the rest of the series if you haven't already. I go over how to connect ESXi to the SAN.

If you have 5 drives, using all 5 for a RAID-Z, then creating a couple different ZFS volumes on top of that, at least 1 of them for your iSCSI, is good way to go.

It is very powerful and very flexible. You can use it as both a NAS and a SAN at the same time, which sounds like what you're trying to do. Use some of your storage for file shares, and some of it as iSCSI LUN(s).
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Everyone wrote: »
    Well you'll probably want to read the rest of the series if you haven't already. I go over how to connect ESXi to the SAN.

If you have 5 drives, using all 5 for a RAID-Z, then creating a couple different ZFS volumes on top of that, at least 1 of them for your iSCSI, is good way to go.

It is very powerful and very flexible. You can use it as both a NAS and a SAN at the same time, which sounds like what you're trying to do. Use some of your storage for file shares, and some of it as iSCSI LUN(s).

You are the man!!!!! I was trying to figure out the best way to attack this issue and you have just solved it. I will be keeping an eye out on your blog!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    The FreeNAS team tweeted my article, and posted it on their FaceBook page!
    The FreeNAS team tweeted my article, and posted it on their FaceBook page!

Now they added it to their "User Spotlight"! FreeNAS 8.0 | Community

I never thought this article would be such a hit. icon_thumright.gif Sorry, I'm excited. icon_redface.gif
  • SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Now they added it to their "User Spotlight"! FreeNAS 8.0 | Community

I never thought this article would be such a hit. icon_thumright.gif Sorry, I'm excited. icon_redface.gif

Congrats!
    That is exciting :)