Options

Completely New to CCENT/CCNA

captaincrash4captaincrash4 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm completely new to the cisco world and i'm just looking for a little advice/information on setting myself up to get the certifications.

My friend has given me his lab (planned on doing his CCNA but didn't get started) and it consists of the following:

Routers:
1x 2620
1x 2612

Switches:
2x2900XL

My question is when I get used to setting up everything is it best to actually hook them up for a Local network and Internet or can I just use them for the commands and configs (I'm not entirely sure what i'm talking about yet icon_lol.gif) ?

He also gave me training videos from CBT Nuggets ICND1&2 ,Network + and TrainSignal's ICND1&2 and I plan on getting Wendell Odom's 3rd edition INCD1&2 books when they are released in October. He also gave me a copy of the Packet Tracer 5.0 and i've played about with it so I can get comfortable with things and he suggested to download SDM so i can get used to that too?

Do I have enough to get me comfortable through my qualifications as I don't just want to get "qualified", I want to get an in-depth knowledge So I can have a good career in networking. Also is there anything else I need/should know before I get deep in to studying for the CCENT?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read! :D

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Its more than enough to get started with and for most of ccna.

Can use them in your lab and in your home network.

I'd start with looking at the CBT nuggets videoes and read the books.

Free CCNA Workbook
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Captain,

Like Alxx mentions, definately start off with the videos! While you are watching the videos I suggest that you keep Packet Tracer running so that when the video trainer is teaching you a concept you can play with the switches/routers... at least that's how I did it :)

As for experience try to volunteer at a local church/school/supermarket and see if they let you on their live systems just for some hands on experience if you time. If not then try build a lab in PT (or on your real hardware) and ask your friend to login and 'break' stuff and then you put it back together :)

Just my $0.02

Good luck on the exam. My sister will be sitting her ICND1 soon also :)

Kind Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    cbt nuggets with jeremy is always the first thing to do

sit back and enjoy the show, after that, get a book and read about all the details. then watch the videos again and start DOING the stuff yourself.

there is no better preparation for the exams then beeing able to say "oh been there - done that - we need to issue a SHOW XY here"
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cbt nuggets with jeremy is always the first thing to do

sit back and enjoy the show, after that, get a book and read about all the details. then watch the videos again and start DOING the stuff yourself.

there is no better preparation for the exams then beeing able to say "oh been there - done that - we need to issue a SHOW XY here"

I agree, that route worked well for me - although I was doing as much configuration as possible so I worked through each lab every time I saw the video.

Also - I ended my studying with some heavy duty runs through Boson's Ex-Sim Max Practice Exam, and it paid off. Definitely the best thing I could have done for studying, as it was super realistic.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which study guides are you using? Are you using Cisco Press or Todd?
    Further, it is recommended to take some good practice tests from any reputed vendor before taking the actual exam. Particularly, for CCNA ICND2, there will be a variety of question types like Simlets, Testlets, and Router Simulations. Since the exam is time limited, it is always better to take some practice tests that offer realistic scenario questions.

Good luck!