Replacing old network printers

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone have any idea where you could find data to back replacing old printers?

Example of some items I have learned along the way.
  • Toner cartridge cost most for the old printers that are out of warranty, >10 years.
  • You don't get as many prints out of the old cartridges
  • The power consumption on those printers are greater than the newer ones costing most for year to power.
  • The replacement parts for the old printers can be very costly.
I am trying to come up with reasons why driving a printer replacement initative would make sense. I'm not 100% sure it does, but from all the information I have been given it seems that it's beneficial to replace these old printers even if they are functioning.

Does anyone ever handled a project like this?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are planning on partnering with Canon or a local MFP company they will come in with the spreadsheets and tech to help you. The only caution that I have is that YOU need to double check their math and ensure that the usage they are estimating is in line with the dollars that are actually being spent. SOmeone in the accounting department should be able to help you calculate the amount of money actually being spent on printer related items.

I tried this at a manufacturing firm about 2 years ago and came to the conclusion that adding 2 additional MFPs and getting rid of a slew of consumer-grade desktop printers was all that I needed to do. It brought down the cost of toner only mildly but the real problem was the pain that the desktop printers were the person in charge of purchasing and keeping track of the toner/ink. It reduced the complexity of her job saving her more than an hour a month in ordering supplies for people.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yeah what Robert said... Find a local company that does nothing but printers/copiers/fax machines. A lot of times they have lease programs that end up being more cost effective then owning. They will bring the equipment out, set it up, maintain it, and replace it as needed. You get brand new printers every couple of years.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are planning on partnering with Canon or a local MFP company they will come in with the spreadsheets and tech to help you. The only caution that I have is that YOU need to double check their math and ensure that the usage they are estimating is in line with the dollars that are actually being spent. SOmeone in the accounting department should be able to help you calculate the amount of money actually being spent on printer related items.

I tried this at a manufacturing firm about 2 years ago and came to the conclusion that adding 2 additional MFPs and getting rid of a slew of consumer-grade desktop printers was all that I needed to do. It brought down the cost of toner only mildly but the real problem was the pain that the desktop printers were the person in charge of purchasing and keeping track of the toner/ink. It reduced the complexity of her job saving her more than an hour a month in ordering supplies for people.

+1. Good advice. Also factor in drivers and software for older printers are harder to find and may not be compatible with the OS being used.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    +1. Good advice. Also factor in drivers and software for older printers are harder to find and may not be compatible with the OS being used.

You just made me think of another thing...

SECURITY!

When I've worked on the Security side of things, printers always drove me nuts. A lot of older network printers have vulnerabilities on them. Sometimes there's a firmware update or a work around to fix them. Sometimes the only thing you can do is replace it all together.

Yes I have used a printer with a vulnerability as a stepping stone for breaking into a network.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    The last printer I replaced was an HP 8000 100lb behemoth, with a P4015. The new one is much faster, more compatible with newer operating systems and takes up less space. The envelope tray (an expensive, but recommended must for people who need to print on these a lot) that works better.

However, it is rated for less pages per toner....which also costs more on top of that. It was also the most difficult printer I had ever set up...due to the quirky settings around tray assignments (so confusing, I wouldn't know where to begin to explain it.)

Don't always expect to get more pages out of your toner...or for them to necessarily cost less. Remember, this is how the industry makes their money.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everyone wrote: »
    You just made me think of another thing...

SECURITY!

When I've worked on the Security side of things, printers always drove me nuts. A lot of older network printers have vulnerabilities on them. Sometimes there's a firmware update or a work around to fix them. Sometimes the only thing you can do is replace it all together.

Yes I have used a printer with a vulnerability as a stepping stone for breaking into a network.

More security issues: Some of the MFPs have hard drives. All the confidential information that may have been processed is still there. Nice, little article below.

http://www.office.xerox.com/latest/SECWP-01UA.pdf
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Yes, but every worker in a cubicle DESERVES a printer so they don't have to waste time getting up and walking to a printer...so they say.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    we replaced more than 40 small printer, some photocopy machines and many scanners with less than 10 large MFPs, the main pros are:
    1: Maintenance contract, we do not have to worry about toner, maintenance, repair etc, less work for admin/purchasing, Finance and IT.
    2: Accounting, generating reports and sending them to managers on how many prints each user printed.
    3: Drivers, instead of having different drivers for different printers, and scanners with all the junk that comes with them, we just have 2 drivers for the two models that we have.
    4: Secure print, you need to go to the printer o print your document, which leads to people printing even less :D.

Cons,
    1: it is not much cheaper to run but you eliminate the high maintenance costs of more printers.
    2: when one breaks down you will be under some pressure to fix it fast.
    3: staff will complain that it is too far, but if you have top management backing complains will disappear after some time icon_lol.gif
    Yes, but every worker in a cubicle DESERVES a printer so they don't have to waste time getting up and walking to a printer...so they say.

Sounds like someone went through "LEAN" lol.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wd40 wrote: »
    we replaced more than 40 small printer, some photocopy machines and many scanners with less than 10 large MFPs, the main pros are:
    1: Maintenance contract, we do not have to worry about toner, maintenance, repair etc, less work for admin/purchasing, Finance and IT.
    2: Accounting, generating reports and sending them to managers on how many prints each user printed.
    3: Drivers, instead of having different drivers for different printers, and scanners with all the junk that comes with them, we just have 2 drivers for the two models that we have.
    4: Secure print, you need to go to the printer o print your document, which leads to people printing even less :D.

Cons,
    1: it is not much cheaper to run but you eliminate the high maintenance costs of more printers.
    2: when one breaks down you will be under some pressure to fix it fast.
    3: staff will complain that it is too far, but if you have top management backing complains will disappear after some time icon_lol.gif

Very true about management driving this from the top down.

All I can do is compile the data to show cost reduction and greater efficiencies

Oh yes. I took away most of those, but now everyone wants Dymo label printers so they can print address labels and other junk.

If a hardass with a "best practices" mindset came to my office to evaluate my printers, they would probably defecate a brick. And that's after I've made reductions.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Oh yes. I took away most of those, but now everyone wants Dymo label printers so they can print address labels and other junk.

If a hardass with a "best practices" mindset came to my office to evaluate my printers, they would probably defecate a brick. And that's after I've made reductions.

It is almost not a battle worth fighting, except to let everyone know that the IT department does not support or repair their crappy little $150 (or whatever they cost) all-in-ones. God I hate them. I don't know if I hate the printers or having the same conversation with people over and over again:

"My printer is broke"
    "Sorry,"
    "Can you fix it?"
    "Nope"
    "Why not?"
    "They don't really make parts for these, they break and there done"
    "What should I do now?"
    "Print to the massive canon down the hall that does 60 pages a minute"
    "*whine* I hate walking down there!"

Or:

"What do you mean I can't print my BW document if cyan is out?"
    "Well, thats the way they are designed"
    "How much is the cyan ink?"
    "$40"
    "WHAAAAAAA???????!!!!!!!!"

Why I Believe Printers Were Sent From Hell To Make Us Miserable - The Oatmeal
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    "My printer is broke"
    "Sorry,"
    "Can you fix it?"
    "Nope"
    "Why not?"
    "They don't really make parts for these, they break and there done"
    "What should I do now?"
    "Print to the massive canon down the hall that does 60 pages a minute"
    "*whine* I hate walking down there!"

Or:

"What do you mean I can't print my BW document if cyan is out?"
    "Well, thats the way they are designed"
    "How much is the cyan ink?"
    "$40"
    "WHAAAAAAA???????!!!!!!!!"

Why I Believe Printers Were Sent From Hell To Make Us Miserable - The Oatmeal

Your Printer is a Brat - YouTube
  • RicohrickRicohrick Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In our managed services company we also have a print management division. I can send you small ICE file to run. If your printers are networked(not USB) I can generate a report for you at no cost. This may help you with your decision with out dealing with sales reps just yet.