why school's network using a proxy server in malaysia?

headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
So workers (some who have access to network) are on strike and internet is acting slow, funny.

Go to all-net tools do a proxy test.

i2sx0w.jpg

Proxy server detected. Take proxy server info put into google.

27wtymr.jpg

Now I have IPv4 address. Do IPv4 lookup.

qrnt3c.jpg

28gwhf9.jpg

I'm no network guru but seems kind of odd.

Comments

• headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    btw college is located in canada.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    There could be any number of reasons, chief among them is that the school uses a hosted web proxy / filter provided by a third party who has a datacenter in Kuala Lumpur.
    There could be any number of reasons, chief among them is that the school uses a hosted web proxy / filter provided by a third party who has a datacenter in Kuala Lumpur.

I thought it was suspicious. Especially with the way the network was behaving.

Now it seems to have settled down.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think because Malaysia has some strict censorship rules, which makes filtering easier, because what you get is already filtered by the Malaysian government.
    wd40 wrote: »
    I think because Malaysia has some strict censorship rules, which makes filtering easier, because what you get is already filtered by the Malaysian government.

I can attest that if there is filtering enabled, it is weak at best in regards to censorship. Must be serving some other purpose, probably nefarious.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    There is also a possibility that the main internet connection was down and they had a backdoor through KL which went active when the main connection failed. If the college hosts servers out in KL (offsite replication etc) this is a fairly common setup. I have this set up at one of my clients, though the remote datacenter is just down the road in Denver, not across the pacific ocean.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You're not using a proxy in Malaysia. You can't just search for the ID string and assume that anything you find out there is actually the same proxy. You just happen to have a proxy that has the same name and SQUID software version as something in Malaysia.

What you do need to look at is the IP address that is shown in the proxy check as that is where the proxy is. 204.225.7.17 = "St Clair College of Applied Arts and Technology STCLAIRC-ON-CA (NET-204-225-7-0-1) 204.225.7.0 - 204.225.7.255"

The short answer is no, you're not using a proxy in Malaysia at all.