Options

Went on an interview today...need advice

nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
Some back log....

Before I landed the job I'm currently at which is contracted Help Desk for a University, I interviewed for a company also for Help Desk (we'll call them Company A). I was told that I did great, they loved me, but my paper experience was lacking. My only "IT" experience was my time at Geek Squad.

Since then, I've received my A+, and have had a year and 2 months experience here at my current employer. 2 days ago, I received a phone call from Company A, asking if I was interested in the position I applied for a year ago. They said that since I now have over a year experience in a corporate environment, they would like to have me aboard.

I went to the interview today, interviewed with the manager and another worker, and I believe that I landed the job, although I have not received official word yet. I was told I would hear back next week, as the director is on vacation and he has final say. The only down fall is that the first 4-6 weeks I'd be temporary, to make sure I'm not a drug addict, and I come in on time. That scares me, because I have a guaranteed job, and I'd be leaving for something that is temporary, just for the beginning.

This new job is MUCH more experience, much better pay, etc. The only benefit of my current position is I eventually have a chance at being promoted and workin for the University directly, entitling me and my family to a free education. I know that I will pass the temp time with flying colors, as I don't do drugs, haven't killed anyone, and come to to work on time, but I'm afraid of the "what if". Do you guys think this is something I should take a chance on?

Comments

• Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Is the better pay/experience really significant?

If the education perk is the only benefit, then I would move to company A personally. While the free education benefit is nice, you can always live on the salary you are currently making and eventually have almost free education. The better question is, how likely are you to be promoted to this position within the next 1-3 years? Also, do you or your family think you will take advantage of the free education perk?

My reasoning for not staying is because there is always a chance the university will remove the free education perk.
  • Options
    Also, do you or your family think you will take advantage of the free education perk?

The problem is that I am not eligible for this perk, because I do not work DIRECTLY for the University. I am trying to get in, but there are clauses with my current employer (the people I contract for) that prevent me from working for their client (which is the University).

So, there is no guarantee I will even get this perk :\. Tuition yearly at this school is around $50K per year, it's a very well known school.

I will be in the ball park of $10 grand up per year at this new job, and I will be learning A LOT!!!!! I'm really stagnant where I am right now.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    if its temp to perm on the strict guidelines you show up on time, don't do drugs and don't turn out to be a wanted convict, then get them to put that in writing. Otherwise, it might just be a way to get someone for a temp position and promising them the world.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Devilry wrote: »
    if its temp to perm on the strict guidelines you show up on time, don't do drugs and don't turn out to be a wanted convict, then get them to put that in writing. Otherwise, it might just be a way to get someone for a temp position and promising them the world.

Very important to clear this up. A 30/60/90 day probation period is one thing. An eternal temp position is another. Make sure you have clear understanding of what you are signing up for.
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    It's sounds like it's just a probationary period. Most companies have this.
  • Options
    During the interview, I made him clarify. I said, "is this a temporary job that might go full time, like a contract position?"

He said it was strictly a probationary period to make sure again, that I'm not a convict, show up on time, and work well with the team. He said the probationary period could last anywhere from 2-8 weeks, but has never seen it really go past 3 weeks.

Do you guys think this is something I should get in writing? Am I even allowed to ask for that in writing?
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    nx1no wrote: »
    Do you guys think this is something I should get in writing? Am I even allowed to ask for that in writing?

Absolutely! If they won't do this, you get your answer about intentions.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Get it in writing and then go for it!

Most companies have a probationary period of some kind or another.
  • Options
    Just in case anyone actually cares, lol...

I was offered the job yesterday (ironically enough, 20 minutes after I asked my girl to marry me :)

They even said, since I was nervous about the temp period, that they would waive it and hire me right away. So, I'm glad all worked out.

Thank you all for the advice :)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats x 2!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□