Options

Just got my A+

DrumsDrums Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed my very first cert, have almost 10 years experience in IT but never got around to any certs. Mostly help desk, deskside support, some web and dba admin, now onto Net + and deciding where to go on my path. Really enjoy working with databases, just trying to find out if anyone has a logical cert path towards dba admin or any advice in general.

I used Mike Meyer's All-In-One book and got Exam Cram a few days before the practical test for some new tests to practice on. I studied for about a month, but my experience really helped out especially for practical test. Scored 699 on essentials and 753 on practical, would have probably gotten a higher score on the practical but had to rush the last 22 questions as the heavy rain almost made everyone evacuate the building. I did NOT want to reschedule as I knew I had a great score going in so they gave me about 7 minutes for the last 22, went into stealth mode and got enough to pass and tonight is party time! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats! Keep up the hard work!
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and welcome to the forums!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words, I have to admit it's a great feeling to get that first cert, if I knew how proud I'd feel I'd have done it years ago.

Anyone have any advice on getting an MSCA? I plan on getting the Net + next which would satisfy my elective, then I can take Win 7 Configuring 70-680 and then 70-290 and 70-291.

I've heard a lot of companies are not looking for MCSA but I would really like to get my hands on some server level certs. I have about 8 years of help desk/deskside support experience, but I'm actually in customer service right now as there are no IT jobs in my area. I really want to get back in the game and figured the certs with my experience should at least get me back on the help desk and I can show my stuff from there.

Any advice is appreciated
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass! ;)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Drums wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words, I have to admit it's a great feeling to get that first cert, if I knew how proud I'd feel I'd have done it years ago.

Anyone have any advice on getting an MSCA? I plan on getting the Net + next which would satisfy my elective, then I can take Win 7 Configuring 70-680 and then 70-290 and 70-291.

I've heard a lot of companies are not looking for MCSA but I would really like to get my hands on some server level certs. I have about 8 years of help desk/deskside support experience, but I'm actually in customer service right now as there are no IT jobs in my area. I really want to get back in the game and figured the certs with my experience should at least get me back on the help desk and I can show my stuff from there.

Any advice is appreciated

It doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I think that vendor specific certs in the area of IT that you want to be in is the path you should take.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement, I wish you all continued and future success in whichever path you choose.

Deathgomper, I appreciate your words, very well said, gave me a lot to think about this weekend.
  • Options
    maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□