Options

Salary history and requirements

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

When a prospective employer asks for your salary history and/or requirements how exactly should it look? Does anyone have any examples? I know I can just Google it but I'd like to see what works for you guys.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    If you're actually going to give it to them, it should look like your actual salary history.

Your requirement shouldn't be too much more than your highest salary.

If you are trying to make a large jump in salary, I prefer to say something like:

"I'd prefer not to disclose this information if possible. I'd like any offers to be made based on my experience and what I have to offer the company. I don't want my salary history to influence a hiring decision."
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Everyone wrote: »
    If you're actually going to give it to them, it should look like your actual salary history.

Your requirement shouldn't be too much more than your highest salary.

If you are trying to make a large jump in salary, I prefer to say something like:

"I'd prefer not to disclose this information if possible. I'd like any offers to be made based on my experience and what I have to offer the company. I don't want my salary history to influence a hiring decision."

Good advice on how not to disclose current salary, I'm going to have to use that next time. I hate giving out current for them to always make a 10% offer above that.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Many prospective employers will show you the door if you try to dodge this question.
  • Options
    simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    Many prospective employers will show you the door if you try to dodge this question.

And I would be happy to walk out of it. It is none of their business, and it makes a lot of alarm bells go off. Salary discussion of any sort is not appropriate until the employer has determined if the applicant is a good fit for the position.

I would express that I only expect fair compensation commensurate with my experience. In fact my response would be, if asked for this information, "Are you offering me the position?" If yes, great, begin salary negotiations. If no, then reinforce that before salary negotiations begin, it should first be determined if you are a good fit for the position.

Unless they are trying to pay you less than the market wage, they shouldn't have a problem with this. And if they do have a problem with it, I already know I don't want to work there.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My first job out of the military, I asked for 72k. I was a CCNP with experience, so I figured that was more than fair considering the average for my area is about 85k for someone with a similar skillset. They told me no more than 70k. When I justified my $2k increase, they responded with "well, you were in the military. We know how much you made. This is a good increase."

They missed the point. Just because you made XXXX amount of money- does not mean you're worth that salary. I ended up giving in, because I needed a job. Then (as many know), a month later I took another position which doubled my salary in the military.

The point is, if they don't see your worth, my take is..if you have other options, take them. If not, take the job, get experience, and keep an eye out for an employer who will value your true value, not just base your new salary off your previous one.

Additionally, when they ask how much I made, I am sure to include ALL forms of compensation..not just base salary.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    simonmoon wrote: »
    And I would be happy to walk out of it. It is none of their business, and it makes a lot of alarm bells go off.

It absolutely is their business. Why would they offer to pay you $100k when you are currently making $80k?
    You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you. The prospective employer would be taking a risk in offering you more money knowing that you are worth less to your current employer.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    DPG wrote: »
    It absolutely is their business. Why would they offer to pay you $100k when you are currently making $80k?
    You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you. The prospective employer would be taking a risk in offering you more money knowing that you are worth less to your current employer.

The risk in playing that game is that if you dicker too much with the money up front, the candidate will use your company as a stepping stone to get to the pay grade they really want, so there's risks on both sides of it. If a candidate is asking for me, and they turn out to be worth it, employers need to make sure they cough up the dough. For alot of tech companies, employee retention is their #1 pitfall, and the largest effect on their bottom line.