Options

Windows 8 not getting royal treatment it seems.

BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If I were responsible to deploy the Windows 8 OS for a corporation that just had a huge upgrade from 2000/XP, then I would go against it. For home use, I don't mind doing an upgrade, but I will wait about 6-12 months after the release.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I were responsible to deploy the Windows 8 OS for a corporation that just had a huge upgrade from 2000/XP, then I would go against it. For home use, I don't mind doing an upgrade, but I will wait about 6-12 months after the release.

+1 agreeded

A lot of companies are still holding on to Windows XP as their main OS. Once supports ends for that then they might go for Windows 7. Also, you got to consider that they’re so many companies that went to Windows 7 in the last year that upgrading to Windows 8 in a year or two looks like a no go. So far Windows 8 doesn’t provide a lot of ROI for these companies.

I think the biggetest problem for Microsoft is that they will have to showcase the benefits to upgrading TO Windows 8. Moreover, a lot of people are scared to upgrade because Vista was a failed OS.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    It's the typical Microsoft OS sales model since Win95.

Win 95 = Just a test for 98

Win 98 SE = Pretty Good for the time Lot's of Business used it.

Win ME = What a piece a junk but was a test for Win2000 and XP

Win XP = Pretty Solid OS and up tell a few months ago was MS Top OS for Business and Homes.

Win Vista = Loved and Hated it again was just a test for Win7

Win7 = Turning out to be a good OS and it has over taken XP for the top OS in use. Business are buying into Win7 and moving away from XP.

Win8 = Another OS that people are going to pay to Beta test for Win9.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    We still have some XP/Vista machine waiting to be upgraded to Windows 7. I don't imagine our desktop admin is going to want to spend 1 or 2 months to create and test an image for Windows 8
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    From my experience, the corporate world tends to leap frog OSes. Almost everywhere I have been has been an XP environment. I expect a lot of upgrades to 7. But who could blame anyone for holding onto XP, you have had YEARS to make sure your environment is compatible, and all the bugs are worked out... the age old saying does come to mind... Don't Fix what isn't broken.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    KrisA wrote: »
    From my experience, the corporate world tends to leap frog OSes. Almost everywhere I have been has been an XP environment. I expect a lot of upgrades to 7. But who could blame anyone for holding onto XP, you have had YEARS to make sure your environment is compatible, and all the bugs are worked out... the age old saying does come to mind... Don't Fix what isn't broken.

I'd have to say that it is becoming broken. It's less secure than Win7 and is weakening in the marketplace. Windows XP runs so many applications so well, that many places don't see the need to upgrade (I see many places that still run DOS because their apps won't run in Windows). While I agree what you're saying, I don't see it lasting much longer. Windows 7 will be the next corporate OS (which more than likely will require a lot of new hardware upgrades, as well). Windows 8, while I am very excited about it, won't replace XP or 7 in an enterprise anytime soon after release. Especially, as many are just now moving to Windows 7 migrations.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    PC509 wrote: »
    I'd have to say that it is becoming broken. It's less secure than Win7 and is weakening in the marketplace. Windows XP runs so many applications so well, that many places don't see the need to upgrade (I see many places that still run DOS because their apps won't run in Windows). While I agree what you're saying, I don't see it lasting much longer. Windows 7 will be the next corporate OS (which more than likely will require a lot of new hardware upgrades, as well). Windows 8, while I am very excited about it, won't replace XP or 7 in an enterprise anytime soon after release. Especially, as many are just now moving to Windows 7 migrations.

I do believe that there is a huge drive from users and even executives who say "Man, I just got this new PC from Best Buy with Windows 7 on it, it's sure slick, how come we're still on XP here at the office".

From their point of view, it's pretty confusing. It takes quite a bit to explain what it would take on the backend to support these upgrades, esp. with the program compatibility and training. Depending on the situation, the value might not be there to justify it.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you guys taking fox news seriously ?
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A news source is a news source, regardless of where it came from, the title is a hot topic. I don't much care for any of the news agencies because they all "Push" their own agenda.

And its not just fox news that has made mention of this, this is going to pose issues in the future, which is why I posted it.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    For my office, we've done this

Windows XP > 7

Office 2003 > 2010

Acrobat 7 > 9 (in 2010). And now 10 by end of year. (long story)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Large corporations aren't that adaptive when it comes to pushing out a new user-side environment. Having the support teams learn the ins and outs of a new OS takes time. Ensuring the existing hardware can support the new OS takes time. Testing internal business applications against the new platform takes time and potentially considerable effort to uplift.

While I like new and shiny operating systems, I think Microsoft needs to polish their offerings more and minimize their OS footprint. If I were a desktop support lead, I would very much welcome an install option equivalent of Server Core on the client side. Microsoft client systems tend to have too much bloat and unnecessary services turned on. There are all these little things that drive me crazy. In Windows 7, Explorer still by default hides file extensions after all these years. You can't mouseover the networking icon in the system tray and get an IP address. The command prompt window can't show you the entire ipconfig /all output in its default size. NetBIOS is still enabled on all interfaces out of the box. To get to some configuration options, you have to wade through five levels of dialog boxes overlaying each other.

I've pretty much given up hope at this point because their marketing department probably thought it would make things smoother for the user experience. It shows you where the company's priorities are. If they're going to give me a new release every few years, make it worth my time, not just another campaign to impress the shareholders.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the Windows 8 not catching the hype, there will be a different look to the OS and again a learning curve will be in place for navigating the menus and such. If the new UI sticks then it will be like a test for Windows 9 if they do keep it that way
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    joneno wrote: »
    Are you guys taking fox news seriously ?
    Would it be more credible if it came from the state-run media? Or how about if it said that the obama Administration was going to bail-out Windows 8 because it's too big to fail? Sorry mods...
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My company is in no hurry to move to Windows 8. We are in the midst of a test pilot for Windows 7, with plans to role it out next year.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I don't really see any reason to upgrade the company I work for to Windows 8 completely but after some testing I'll gladly purchase and set up any new deployments with it. Our hardware replacement schedule tends to be about the same as the Windows release schedule so over the course of replacing hardware we slowly transition to the newest OS.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    what you wanna bet that the new interface will be optional on the professional versions
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I need to get back into beta testing. I beta tested every Microsoft OS from 95 to XP. I was too busy for Vista. Windows 7 I picked up the public beta on, but didn't do much with it. I'll probably pick up the Windows 8 public Beta when it is released and do a review on it.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Krunchi wrote: »
    It's the typical Microsoft OS sales model since Win95.

Win 95 = Just a test for 98

Win 98 SE = Pretty Good for the time Lot's of Business used it.

Win ME = What a piece a junk but was a test for Win2000 and XP

Win XP = Pretty Solid OS and up tell a few months ago was MS Top OS for Business and Homes.

Win Vista = Loved and Hated it again was just a test for Win7

Win7 = Turning out to be a good OS and it has over taken XP for the top OS in use. Business are buying into Win7 and moving away from XP.

Win8 = Another OS that people are going to pay to Beta test for Win9.

Dead on right.