Drinking + your brain

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
Wanted to know how many of you guy's drink and if you can still process and keep all the knowledge you have learned. I have gotten my A+ and find that I only remember 1/3 of what i read. That is because in my current workplace, we do not use any of the skills in the A+ cert. I am a Desktop Technician 1 and currently got promoted to Help Desk Tier 1. I am finding that all we use is active directory, Sunbox virtual machines and the ticketing system. I also find we do need to go into Server's and reset peoples passwords.

So far I have 4 months of experience and working in IT has been a great learning experience so far. Yet back on the topic, do you think your loosing brain cells by drinking beer almost every weekend? I drink it once either on saturday + sunday and get drunk every other weekend. Let me know what your opinions are.

Also, let me know if this is not appropriate. I figured since we are all 18+ it should be appropriate enough for us to discuss this.

By the way I'm 22 and going to community college. I have friends who live around me who drink with me almost every other weekend.

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think not using the knowledge hurts much more than your average intake of beer on the weekends ;)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 Not using the knowledge
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't drink and I forget stuff all the time, but once I start working with it again it usually doesn't take long to get back.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Nah, besides I have drink every weekend and sometimes during the week depending how the bad week is.

(and no I am not a alcoholic, I don't drink every day and I don't drink myself stupid icon_smile.gif )
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I read a study about how when you are sober, you remember events from when you were sober. If you are drunk then you remember events from when you were drunk. That is why all of your stories come out when you've had a few.

So the moral of the story is, pick a method and stick with it ;)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    if drinking would make you forget stuff that quickly our whole system wouldnt last a week since 90% of the people would be plain stupid by the age of 30 :D

and now grab a beer an read some stuff you forgot about!
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just don't drink and study at the same time - that might make it harder to retain the info :)
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    BrizoH wrote: »
    Just don't drink and study at the same time - that might make it harder to retain the info :)

Exactly...I drink my face off every weekend especially during college football season. Just keep studying and reading and continue to stimulate your brain and you will be fine...when your not drinking of course.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, alcohol definitely has a negative impact on your brain, and other body systems. Most notably, it depletes neurotransmitters. If you are going to have the occasional drink, good animal proteins can greatly assist in replenishing these vital nutrients. You can have these along with your drink or the next morning to speed recovery from hangovers. Also, Choline is good for your brain at all times and it would be good to replenish after drinking. It is found naturally in abundance in eggs, but I take a supplement daily, as well; in addition, Huperzine A increases the lifespan of Choline in the brain.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Forget just studying; drinking impairs rational thinking.
    There nothing wrong with having a couple brews/shots/glasses; but know when to say when.icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Well, alcohol definitely has a negative impact on your brain, and other body systems. Most notably, it depletes neurotransmitters. If you are going to have the occasional drink, good animal proteins can greatly assist in replenishing these vital nutrients. You can have these along with your drink or the next morning to speed recovery from hangovers. Also, Choline is good for your brain at all times and it would be good to replenish after drinking. It is found naturally in abundance in eggs, but I take a supplement daily, as well; in addition, Huperzine A increases the lifespan of Choline in the brain.

I knew you're gonna say something like that after reading your posts on the Fish Oil (DHA) thread a month ago! icon_lol.gif
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    There are a lot of factors that go into retaining material and a beer or two while studying isn't going to have much difference one way or another.

I spent my entire freshman year drunk pretty much and remember everything from it just fine.

On a related note, alcohol can often times help when it comes to testing. A beer or two before an exam is usually all it takes to remove test anxiety without having much negative impact on your thought process. Obviously you have to be careful not to take that too far (I have memories of stumbling into an Accounting final after a few too many shots) but it really can help.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    On a related note, alcohol can often times help when it comes to testing. A beer or two before an exam is usually all it takes to remove test anxiety without having much negative impact on your thought process. Obviously you have to be careful not to take that too far (I have memories of stumbling into an Accounting final after a few too many shots) but it really can help.

I've heard this before but never had the guts to try it. I also don't suffer from test anxiety (just the occasional jitters that go away when it is finally game time) so I don't think that I would need to anyway.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    ...in my current workplace, we do not use any of the skills in the A+ cert.

This doesn't surprise me. It's good for setting up networks, but not much else. Quite frankly, I don't see why CompTIA keeps it around as an independent one. In my opinion, they should combine it with something else.

From a firsthand experience, I can tell you that drinking doesn't hurt a bit. As for other substances, I'm still testing them.
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    On a related note, alcohol can often times help when it comes to testing. A beer or two before an exam is usually all it takes to remove test anxiety without having much negative impact on your thought process.

Try explaining that to the receptionist at the testing center at 9 in the morning. icon_cool.gif

As mentioned above, what you don't use, you lose.
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    It depends, when I was in college and continuing into my certifications I would always drink a beer or two and have some Metallica or grunge going. It's not the norm but helped me to chill.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Xantcha wrote: »
    Try explaining that to the receptionist at the testing center at 9 in the morning. icon_cool.gif

As mentioned above, what you don't use, you lose.

I've got a better idea. Plan ahead so that you aren't hung over when you go in to take the test. You can also not schedule your test for 9 a.m.