Options

Where to study besides the library? (especially at night and weekends)

Howdy.

This is about my college classes. I cannot explain why, but honestly, I have great difficulty concentrating on my college classes at home. I have no issue at all sitting and reading something technical (like for certifications), but some of my Master's level work is not that technical, and kind of bores me, to be honest.

I have found that I make the most progress on my Master's classes when I go to a library and study.

Unfortunately, most library hours are not compatible with working adults, and they usually close too early. I find that I can usually get to them on the weekends, but they close so early on weeknights, they are a waste to me.

Knowing that I make the most progress in any endeavor when I can devote a couple hours each day to it (things get stale otherwise, or in this current case, I can't write my papers as fast as I would like, if I can't really get into a good environment until the weekend).

So, what's the suggested places?

I actually searched online for suggestions, prior to posting here.

I had suggestions like parks and stuff (but with the heat in San Antonio, that's not feasible). Also, I had suggestions for stuff like coffee shops and bookstores. I'm just wondering if it's rude to order a cup of coffee and then sit in there for three or four hours working on my assignment?

This idea has been bothering me the past couple days. I've been thinking about petitioning the city to extend/modify library hours for working adults :D

Any suggestions? Am I over-thinking the coffee shop thing?

Thanks!
Currently Working: CCIE R&S
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    instant000 wrote: »
    Howdy.

This is about my college classes. I cannot explain why, but honestly, I have great difficulty concentrating on my college classes at home. I have no issue at all sitting and reading something technical (like for certifications), but some of my Master's level work is not that technical, and kind of bores me, to be honest.

I have found that I make the most progress on my Master's classes when I go to a library and study.

Unfortunately, most library hours are not compatible with working adults, and they usually close too early. I find that I can usually get to them on the weekends, but they close so early on weeknights, they are a waste to me.

Knowing that I make the most progress in any endeavor when I can devote a couple hours each day to it (things get stale otherwise, or in this current case, I can't write my papers as fast as I would like, if I can't really get into a good environment until the weekend).

So, what's the suggested places?

I actually searched online for suggestions, prior to posting here.

I had suggestions like parks and stuff (but with the heat in San Antonio, that's not feasible). Also, I had suggestions for stuff like coffee shops and bookstores. I'm just wondering if it's rude to order a cup of coffee and then sit in there for three or four hours working on my assignment?

This idea has been bothering me the past couple days. I've been thinking about petitioning the city to extend/modify library hours for working adults :D

Any suggestions? Am I over-thinking the coffee shop thing?

Thanks!

I have the same issue, I built a home office in the basement so I could study. Door locked, tell everyone I cant be bothered as if I am at work for 2 hours or so.

But starbucks is very used to people sitting for hours on end.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used to read up at a Gloria Jeans and no one once asked me why I was there 3-4 hours after ordering a coffee. I even asked the manager there once if it was okay to sit and read there and she said it wasnt a problem at all. As long as I had a cup of coffee sitting besides me, there wasnt an issue at all. I think you are overthinking it a little, just get a good pair of ear muffs though and you are good to go. I bought ones that people working at the airport wear, 120dB ones and I couldnt hear a thing. And they looked nice too, not as clunky as you'd imagine.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Panera Bread is a good alternative to Starbucks in terms of major chains. Theirs lots of small mom-and-pop cafe's out there with free wifi too.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have you considered going to a nearby public university library? I haven't tried this though, but I believe I can use my previous school's library (which closes late at night) as long as I'm an alumni though. I'm going to find out whether I can use the nearby university's public library right after I take my ORC1 assessment there this Tuesday since I'm not affiliated with the place. It would be nice if WGU can set up some kind of partnerships with local universities so that we can use our local university libraries.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Have you considered going to a nearby public pniversity library? I haven't tried this though, but I believe I can use my previous school's library (which close late at night) as long as I'm an alumni though. I'm going to find out whether I can use the nearby university's public library right after I take my ORC1 assessment there this Tuesday since I'm not affiliated with the place. It would be nice if WGU can set up some kind of partnerships with university so that we can use our local university libraries.

i use the local univeristy often
    you could check out Home - AET Library - Research Guides at University of Texas at San Antonio see if they even check for student id at the front i know some dont they just want to see your drivers licens and sign in and out
    how often do you need to study? you could see about renting a room from some one but thats a bit drastic.
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have been sitting outside next to the fire and drinking a beer while reading over some project management books and six sigma. So far so good, no pressure and relaxed.
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    The funny is I spent so little time to study when I was in college ... But I was lucky enough to get my 4 yrs certification at the end :D
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    I have been sitting outside next to the fire and drinking a beer while reading over some project management books and six sigma. So far so good, no pressure and relaxed.

I've tried the drinking beer and reading method, but it doesnt seem to work as I usually end up drinking more than a couple and then the last thing I want to do is read a pdf and look at the stupid Hyper-v console or something.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Have you considered going to a nearby public university library? I haven't tried this though, but I believe I can use my previous school's library (which closes late at night) as long as I'm an alumni though. I'm going to find out whether I can use the nearby university's public library right after I take my ORC1 assessment there this Tuesday since I'm not affiliated with the place. It would be nice if WGU can set up some kind of partnerships with local universities so that we can use our local university libraries.

I can go here:

Northeast Lakeview College

I've been there a couple time before, don't know why they didn't cross my mind, as they're close They're open until 9 PM, which gives me a couple hours to study before they shut their doors.

Their Friday/Saturday hours are horrible, and their Sunday hours are nonexistent.

Library Locations
    ^^ The city libraries are the best options on the weekends, as they offer decent hours for Saturday and Sunday. I prefer to study even later on Sundays, but I guess I can adjust my schedule.

I was actually sitting here calculating if it was worth $10 per trip, times 4 or 5 trips a week, to study at a coffee shop or something after work, but I think a couple hours in a nearby college library should be OK.

Then, i found this one:

Keith A. Campbell Memorial Library

So, the optimal plan looks like Northeast Vista on Monday-Thursday, and Fort Sam on Saturday and Sunday.

And then, I struck the motherlode: Trinity University:

Coates Library | Hours

LibAnswers: I am not a Trinity student. Can I still visit and use the library?

It's by far the best hours for everything except Friday/Saturday, not sure if it's worth it to drive over there, as that's a bit towards the middle of town, and I live in the UC area on the map, not sure if I want to be driving over a half hour after studying at the library, whereas if I go to the community college, it's a five minute drive after studying. ... decisions, decisions.

Oh well, I have more options now, than before I started this thread.

Thanks.

Still gets back to my original thoughts, though, on how come I shouldn't petition the public libraries to stay open 24/7. Not all of them, maybe two or three for the entire city, one on the east side, one on the west side, and then maybe one on the south side. At least then the working adults who pay the taxes to support the libraries would have them open when they could use them. But, that's maybe a bit much, not sure if the library traffic would be justified.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I have similar issues. There have been times when I haven't been able to sit at home, as I get to looking around and noticing everything that needs to be done at the moment or I find my mind wandering to various distractions. Worse, when the family's up and about either my kids or my wife will be bugging me for something, or the TV is blaring.

Usually what works for me is the local Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf cafe. They have a narrow hallway with small tables near the restrooms in the back, so all the foot traffic and noise doesn't distract me as much if I sit back there. Their wireless Internet will disconnect you for 10 minutes every two hours, and their written policy is that someone will check on you every two hours or so. Given that, I try to at least buy some water or a snack every two hours if I can. (I'm starting to think building a coffee shop budget into the overall school budget is more than justifiable.)

There's one Starbucks nearby with a narrow aisleway off to one side of the cafe where I can study without much distraction, save for occasional visits by attractive female patrons.

You're in San Antonio? Check the McDonald's in the area. The ones out here are often open late, and most don't have the playgrounds or other nuisances. Some are even decorated like coffee shops now, which helps with the concentration.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    I study at the beach...but i guess a lot of you do not have that opportunity, I guess a park, or Starbucks.

A local college is good too..
  • Options
    SecuSecu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm from San Antonio and have the same issue. I have had luck with Jim's Coffee shop especially like after 9 or 10 gets packed with students also studying. Also i generally just tip well and that takes the guilt away for sitting there for 2+ hours.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    During my previous study binges I had to make a sacrifice and create a "quiet room" at home because I had the same problem. Studying at work was spotty at best and when I got home any distraction was too much. I took my home office/gameroom and did some redecoration. I moved the Wii and any magazines/books that weren't IT related and put them in the closet, removed distracting pictures from the desk area, and used a computer with a lot of host file edits to keep me off of any of my favorite websites. No facebook, TE, twitter, etc. I gave my phone to my wife and locked myself in. It was me and James Conrad for hours and then the books and notes.

I don't have kids and don't really know of any good places to study around here other than that. My new job has conference rooms that I could use after hours if I wanted to put in more time but we're essentially 24 hours so if people get wind of me being in the office it would mean an interruption.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    During my previous study binges I had to make a sacrifice and create a "quiet room" at home because I had the same problem. Studying at work was spotty at best and when I got home any distraction was too much. I took my home office/gameroom and did some redecoration. I moved the Wii and any magazines/books that weren't IT related and put them in the closet, removed distracting pictures from the desk area, and used a computer with a lot of host file edits to keep me off of any of my favorite websites. No facebook, TE, twitter, etc. I gave my phone to my wife and locked myself in. It was me and James Conrad for hours and then the books and notes.

I don't have kids and don't really know of any good places to study around here other than that. My new job has conference rooms that I could use after hours if I wanted to put in more time but we're essentially 24 hours so if people get wind of me being in the office it would mean an interruption.

Sounds exactly like what I did! I even have kids and it worked fine. But I did my studying 8PM on, after they were asleep.

I also usually stay at the office an hour later, told my boss I wanted to study somewhere quiet off the clock, they didnt mind at all, didnt have to sit in traffic after, either!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know what you mean. There have been several times where I stayed after work to take advantage of an empty office to get some work done. Over the summer there have also been a few times that I drive by a park and lay down in the grass with a book. Nice to be outside and glancing up to occasionally watch the kids having a good time is relaxing too.

I've only studied in the library a couple times. But it does make sense. If you are sitting around the house then you have all of your everyday distractions. Family, tv, facebook, snack desire.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's not rude to study at the coffee shop, unless a sign is posted. This is quite common.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    It's not rude to study at the coffee shop, unless a sign is posted. This is quite common.

As long as you buy a coffee they shouldn't care. If its busy and you sit there taking 5 hours to drink it then maybe.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i got to thinking about it and there is another place ... a bit more odd but able

New Gym Preview | Health and Fitness Gym at San Antonio 78 Walzem, TX | Gold's Gym

gym but if you look at the floor plan they have a few tables and chairs, most times on late a night or on the weekend the gyms (at least around here) are about empty, and if some one is making too much noise you can plugin headphones and listen to music.

you may beable to fins a 24/7 one with a table and chairs as well
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first suggestion would be a park, but you already shot that one down. I do the park, but in fowl weather I head to a diner not too far away. I pass it on my commute to and from work, so it's accessible every day for me. The food sucks there, so they're never full which means I'm never taking a seat away from another customer.

I also used Denny's a few times when I was studying for my CCNA. As long as you buy something, aren't taking a seat away from another customer, and you tip well, you're golden.
  • Options
    I have read at the gym on the exercise bike before. I try not to do this when studying for a cert, but if I'm reading a book just because I want to learn what it contains then I might.
  • Options
    i got to thinking about it and there is another place ... a bit more odd but able

New Gym Preview | Health and Fitness Gym at San Antonio 78 Walzem, TX | Gold's Gym

gym but if you look at the floor plan they have a few tables and chairs, most times on late a night or on the weekend the gyms (at least around here) are about empty, and if some one is making too much noise you can plugin headphones and listen to music.

you may beable to fins a 24/7 one with a table and chairs as well

LOL, never again Gold's Gym. I have a customer service issue outstanding with them, where they kept billing me, after I had already done a cancellation. In particular, the gym at that very address, 78 and Walzem!
  • Options
    Secu wrote: »
    I'm from San Antonio and have the same issue. I have had luck with Jim's Coffee shop especially like after 9 or 10 gets packed with students also studying. Also i generally just tip well and that takes the guilt away for sitting there for 2+ hours.

Jim's Coffee is on the west side, and I'm in universal city, on the north east side. that looks like a one hour drive for me to get over there, one-way, not feasible.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    I've tried the drinking beer and reading method, but it doesnt seem to work as I usually end up drinking more than a couple and then the last thing I want to do is read a pdf and look at the stupid Hyper-v console or something.

Thats when you know to stop studying ;)