Options

Resume Critique Please

CmptrFrkCmptrFrk Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is a VERY rough draft. Some recent changes at my current employer have left me scrambling to find a new job. Employer names have been changed. Please review and comment.

Comments

• Options
    ssjaronx4ssjaronx4 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SQL 2010 doesnt exist.......?
  • Options
    DOH! Supposed to be 2008. Thanks!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just my opinion
    - Phrases DO NOT end with a period
    - Objective: kind of useless if you ask me. Opinions may vary on this
    - Technical skills: looks like a very long laundry list. I would get rid of this (and the objective) and create a Professional Summary type section that present a highlight of what you've done, your specialties and your qualifications.
    - "Installation and configuration networking hardware": please revise
    - I have an issue with what I call the "bullet fest" (note to self: trademark this phrase). I would go with a paragraph summarizing duties and then a few bullet points showing key accomplishments that brought value to the company. Anyone can be an IT guy, not everyone can bring tangible value. Show them how you are different than the average tech. For example, you could spin the SQL upgrade as x% increase in performance, etc. Same thing with the Merak/Exchange migration.
    - "Troubleshoot internal and external user issues": too generic. I would provide an example
    - Big Oxygen lacks detail. Hope you plan on expanding.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Just my opinion
    - Phrases DO NOT end with a period Periods are out :)
    - Objective: kind of useless if you ask me. Opinions may vary on this
    - Technical skills: looks like a very long laundry list. I would get rid of this (and the objective) and create a Professional Summary type section that present a highlight of what you've done, your specialties and your qualifications. I really like the Professional Summary Idea
    - "Installation and configuration networking hardware": please revise
    - I have an issue with what I call the "bullet fest" (note to self: trademark this phrase). I would go with a paragraph summarizing duties and then a few bullet points showing key accomplishments that brought value to the company. Anyone can be an IT guy, not everyone can bring tangible value. Show them how you are different than the average tech. For example, you could spin the SQL upgrade as x% increase in performance, etc. Same thing with the Merak/Exchange migration. I also like this idea
    - "Troubleshoot internal and external user issues": too generic. I would provide an example
    - Big Oxygen lacks detail. Hope you plan on expanding. I will expand. I was only there 4 months, should I leave this in?

Thank you for your input!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    CmptrFrk wrote: »
    will expand. I was only there 4 months, should I leave this in?

Double edged sword. If it was a contract position, no problem. If not, be ready to explain why you left so soon.
  • Options
    Take2.doc

I did a little work on my resume. Do you guys think it is getting any better?
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    IMHO don't put certs you don't have, aka "in progress" certs. If it comes up, talk about it in the interview. Most people bs this and put certs they've been lambasting over for 3 years but don't have the gall to do it...

Throughout your resume, you switch between tenses; it should be uniform throughout. Aka "Installed" and then "Administer" in the Overview section. Tangentially, know the difference between "Administer" and "Administrate", and be accurate with it.

Calibri is the default Word font...perhaps use a more "professional" font, like Times or Arial. Calibri, aesthetically to me, is on par with Comic Sans.

My first and general impression of the flow and layout is sloppy...I would recommend using a different MS Word template.

You can't imagine the amount of psychology that goes into a resume, and how ones general perception of the physical structure can affect the ultimate decision of the content. It's not fair, but we are humans, and this is how we work.

Also--why does the Intern Information Security Engineer include all of the position information, while the higher position (Information Security Engineer) has nothing specified? This makes it look like you prioritize the Intern position on various levels. I *understand* that they were consecutive positions, but there should either be a degree of separation, or include the information under the senior position, if that's how you want to do it.

Also I saw some various spelling and grammatical errors...

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr has some good tips so I will try not to repeat his suggestions.
    • Add Summary heading to first section.
    • Like cyberguypr said, that list of skills is really long. Find a way to compact it, or remove entries listed in your job experience.
    • Minor grammer and spelling errors, get an english major to proof it.
    • Possibly shrink down experience section to use just bulleted portion or consider bulleting other portions of experience. It is easier and faster read, and it also removes clutter. Just be sure to remove the actual heading and to use just the bullets
    I do like the overall format and structure, it seems to read pretty easily for the most part.

Ideally, at least in my view, resumes shouldn't need to be more than 1 page unless you are applying for some senior, high level positions.