Options

Question on New Employment

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
Got a real quick question and need some advice. I am in my second week at my new job and have come to realize that it is basically a glorified Help Desk that I will be doing nothing but working tickets as the company is growing and is behind.

Anyways, not really what I was wanting to get into from my last job, which was a second tier job, but since this company deals with the Cloud and Citrix, I figured that it might be good for the resume. Keep in mind that what the job description described was somewhere around administration rather than ticket handling.

Now, my question is this. Should I tell my manager where I want to go, such as getting to level 2 or moving to another department? I know that they are hiring for the current position I have as they are low on help. Would it be bad of me to tell him I want out of this position so early in employment?

Any advice or criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here are some observations that you should adapt to your specific situation. If you are new to IT and do not have a load of experience behind you, take the opportunity and time to give the job a chance. It sounds like it may turn into something good with Citrix / Cloud, those skills are highly favored in today's market.

Your ability to read people and how you approach your manager is going to be the key. Approaching management at such an early stage in your tenure with them might look bad, but that is employer dependent. If you are able to read people well, and have some idea that they like you, it might be OK to have a chat now. Hopefully you stated your intentions in the typical "where do you see yourself in X years" talk during the interview process.

Some employers have regular review times, such as every quarter, if that is how it works there - it might be best to wait until then. In any case, I would not think it is bad to let your manager know that this is not the position you thought it was based on how it was advertised or pitched to you.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice Version4.

I have about 3 years of IT experience and did answer their question about where I want to be in 5 years, networking.

However, I think I may play this new role by ear, as it has a 3 month probation period. I feel that at the time I am recognized as a full time employee, I can have that chat with my boss. Which may be hard to do face to face when he is about 1500 miles away! :)

Again, thanks for the advice.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"