Options

Dynamips - GNS3 Gui Server / Client split between different computers?

NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
What I want to do is run Dynamips on my Ubuntu Server (headless, CLI only) and run Dynagen OR GNS3 on my laptop. I see that there is places in the setup file for hostname and ports etc, but what i am not sure of is where what files go where (ie images, .net , working directory etc..)

Also , I am not a 100% sure how Dynamips works.. when it loads, does it load the .net or does the console Dynagen?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never done it personally, but I'm sure you can find plenty of info here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I don't know if this will work but this is something that just popped in my head. You can add a router to your topology to serve as a terminal server. Create a tap/br and connect everything to the terminal server and attach your virtual terminal server to the tap, giving that port an IP in the same subnet as your internal (home) network and you should be able to telnet to that router. (theoretically)

Also, the setup loads in the console...seeing you are using Ubuntu, the steps are:

CD to the folder that you .net file is

dynamips -H 7200 & #this loads the hypervisor
    dynagen (thenameofyourfile).net #this loads your .net file

Now you can start whatever routers you have and set idlepc and lab away!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies..

From what I understand, Dynagen is a console for Dynamips , right? So can Dynagen be on a different computer from Dynamips?