Options

Great day...2 phone interviews today and now 2 face-to-face interviews this week...

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
So finally some hard work has been paying off. I had a phone interview scheduled at 11:15 pm today, that went well..so I have a interview friday. But my second interview was unexpected. I was getting dressed and at 7 am my phone rang, I was like "what the hell?"..picked up the phone..bam..immediate phone interview (hell yeah). 2 hours after the initial phone interview, they wanted to schedule a face to face interview this week.

So if everything goes well..I get 2 job offers...help me decided

1.Technical Support Customer Service: 45 mins away ( this sucks) but this job has more IT duties. You will use linux command lines to go through files and restart systems. In addition to linux knowledge, they asked to have knowledge of routing and networks.

In the phone interview they did ask me what a subnet mask was used for and what static routing is, so I assume there is a job duty involving networking.

pay is 11-14

2. Help Desk Tier 1: only 15-30 mins away,depending on traffic.(nice) The job duties consist of making sure new employees have everything they need, all passwords and usernames work and take terminated employees out of the system. (60%) The other 20-40% would be shadowing helpdesk tier 2-3, system admin, and network engineers. Mostly learning active directory and helping with adding and removing people.

14-15 an hour

The majority of my job sounds like something HR would do, thats why Im leaning towards the 1st job. But the 1st job is 45 mins away..that sucks. I wish I could find some networking audio books to listen during my drive, does anyone know where to find some?

Tell me what you think? Which one would be better for my first IT job?

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    So finally some hard work has been paying off. I had a phone interview scheduled at 11:15 pm today, that went well..so I have a interview friday. But my second interview was unexpected. I was getting dressed and at 7 am my phone rang, I was like "what the hell?"..picked up the phone..bam..immediate phone interview (hell yeah). 2 hours after the initial phone interview, they wanted to schedule a face to face interview this week.

So if everything goes well..I get 2 job offers...help me decided

1.Technical Support Customer Service: 45 mins away ( this sucks) but this job has more IT duties. You will use linux command lines to go through files and restart systems. In addition to linux knowledge, they asked to have knowledge of routing and networks.

In the phone interview they did ask me what a subnet mask was used for and what static routing is, so I assume there is a job duty involving networking.

pay is 11-14

2. Help Desk Tier 1: only 15-30 mins away,depending on traffic.(nice) The job duties consist of making sure new employees have everything they need, all passwords and usernames work and take terminated employees out of the system. (60%) The other 20-40% would be shadowing helpdesk tier 2-3, system admin, and network engineers. Mostly learning active directory and helping with adding and removing people.

14-15 an hour

The majority of my job sounds like something HR would do, thats why Im leaning towards the 1st job. But the 1st job is 45 mins away..that sucks. I wish I could find some networking audio books to listen during my drive, does anyone know where to find some?

Tell me what you think? Which one would be better for my first IT job?

You have no IT background?

In that case, take the first one!
  • Options
    Only certs and education, no experience =/
  • Options
    Then def go for #1, get the top end of the pay though.

And congrats! Be sure to come back and tell us what ended up happening.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go with first one. 45 mins drive is nothing to drive these days. I figure hour to work and hour home is about normal for me.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    I will definitely go for the upper end of the pay. I cant see myself taking a huge pay cut if I get offered 2 IT jobs.
  • Options
    I will definitely go for the upper end of the pay. I cant see myself taking a huge pay cut if I get offered 2 IT jobs.

Just keep in mind, once you take a position, don't stop getting certs and looking for advancement.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I'm going to be different and say #2.

Your duties will probably turn out to be more than just that, probably from day 1, definitely growing over time. How quickly will depend on you.

The fact that they told you that you will spend a considerable amount of your time shadowing other higher level positions, says that they readily share knowledge and probably like to promote from within. It sounds like you would have an opportunity at a career path of your choice. Move up on the support side (higher help desk tiers), go to the SysAd shop, or go to the Network shop.
  • Options
    If I take one of these jobs, how long should I stay in the position before I try and get a network engineer job?
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    If I take one of these jobs, how long should I stay in the position before I try and get a network engineer job?

My advice to you: concentrate on doing what you're doing and do it well before you look to your next step. I waited five years for my promotion from Help Desk to NOC. The first opportunity that came up, I took my shot and hit. I never thought I would have to wait so long for a promotion. Overtime, top out at 77k/year, four weeks paid vacation, accrued sick leave, free health insurance, free life insurance and a pension are the things that kept me waiting for my turn. Anyway, just focus on doing a good job and learning as much as possible, the money and promotions will come with time.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

Well that all depends. You most likely would want to see how things progress over 4-6 months. See if you have any room for advancement, but if you're continuing to learn I would stay a bit longer. Employers like to see you staying in positions for a little bit especially for your first job. (I stayed at mine for almost a year.)
  • Options
    I only ask because I should have my B.S. in IT and hopefully my CCNP done in the next 6 months.
  • Options
    I only ask because I should have my B.S. in IT and hopefully my CCNP done in the next 6 months.

Seriously get some experience under your belt, with those certs and some experience you can move up the ladder quick, imo.
  • Options
    But will any IT experience help or only networking experience?
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

Any will help, but obviously Networking specific experience will help even more, if Networking is your I.T. career path choice.
  • Options

Take anything you can get at first, then try to start moving into niches.
  • Options
    So I went to both of my interviews and I feel they both went great. They both went over 1 hour, and I will hear an answer from both of them by next friday. Its just a waiting game, I keep looking at my phone waiting for a call..its driving me crazy. Ill keep you guys updated.
  • Options
    I'm glad they went well for you, that is exciting news.

Def keep us updated, good luck!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I received a job offer from company #1 and Im pretty excited. The pay is only 13.00 but there is overtime if you want it. Now im just waiting for the other company, I dont know which one Ill pick but at least I have one. Finally starting my IT career!
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I would take the 1st offer
    even if the pay is less
    sounds way more robust
    and for a first job, I think tasks are more important than $$$

I'm new to the IT scene (roughly 2-3yrs worth of experience)
    but in my experience at some point you will move to Linux/Unix stuff
    At some point you stop seeing MS and start looking at Unix way more
    you have the luck of getting this kind of job without experience
    Id take it
    meh
  • Options
    thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking too, how many companies will put you in a unix/linux role without actual experience, not many. Plus this is a smaller company and its growing pretty quick.
  • Options
    so I found out today that I didnt get the 2nd job, so this is my only option. Its probably the job I would of picked anyway but I'm glad I finally know. I start in 2 weeks! I forgot to ask about vacation time and work attire, but when I went there for the interview..I saw people wearing jeans. That would be awesome.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the new gig! Perform at your best, learn as much as you can and make friends. It's important to network in the field we are in.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Congrats on the new job! I'm glad you got it.

Make sure you follow up in a couple weeks and tell us how you're liking it.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Keep learning and you'll be able to move around. As far as MS is concerned, I am hedging my bets by certifying in MS and eventually Linux/Redhat best of both worlds. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff