Options

Pc cleaning equipment?

AzimScotAzimScot Inactive Imported Users Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
I always seem to get mixed up what solutions and equipment is needed for differents parts of the computer e.g Monitor/Keyboard/inside the pc etc anyone know whats required?

Thx

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    For the Monitor, you can use a special dust sprayer, that is made for electronics and screens. For the inside, canned air works fine. Unless it's made for Pcs, you probably don't want to use a vacuum, for Esd cautions. The Pc itself shouldn't be so dirty that you need more than that.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ricka182 wrote:
    For the Monitor, you can use a special dust sprayer, that is made for electronics and screens. For the inside, canned air works fine. Unless it's made for Pcs, you probably don't want to use a vacuum, for Esd cautions. The Pc itself shouldn't be so dirty that you need more than that.

Yes.

IF you are in an office and have a lot of pen marks on the chassis (or at home too) you may use isopropyl alcohol to remove the ink and/or sticker adhesives.

Canned air is probably the best thing to have and there are even rechargeable air cans (though if you don't have the little compressor to recharge the cans it gets old carrying around many cans....supposed to get about 50 charges icon_confused.gif After the first 10 it just doesn't seem to hold much compressed air).

Keyboards (PS/2) if they are SO dirty, crumbs, coffee, etc... you may unplug them and literally hose them off. Some even suggest top rack of a dishwasher, though I think a garden hose is sufficient. LET IT DRY throughly before using again. (mild detergent for really greasy/gummy KB's).

Monitors, Glass cleaner without ammonia is recommended for CRT's and even laptop monitors (I called various MFG's of laptops and also cleaners about a year and a half ago...this was the answer I most commonly received).

SAFEST thing any time you apply a 'chemical' to anything (the garden, yourself, your household items, electronics, car, etc.....) READ THE LABEL. If it isn't listed or is NOT recommended - don't do it!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    saif_ulsaif_ul Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NO Kidding???? Can I really take the top part off from my key board and run thru dishwasher?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    saif_ul wrote:
    NO Kidding???? Can I really take the top part off from my key board and run thru dishwasher?

Yes. Rinse cycle no soap/detergent.

http://www.pccomputernotes.com/keyboards/keyboards01.htm

Some others testimony:
    http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_id=2089937&path=/ict/&threadPage=1

and
    http://forums.techguy.org/t46261.html

A few nay-sayers in the bunch, but they likely have NOT tried it ;)

Last resort (nothing to lose) give it a shot.
    Top Rack
    No heat
    No detergent
    DO NOT TAKE IT APART, just unplug it You'll want to leave whatever is 'sealed' sealed! This way whatever crumbs or liquids got in, the water can wash away.
    ONLY PS/2 type not for wireless HERE

OR

I used to work at a place where we'd buy in keyboards by the gaylord (pallet boxes, nasty and dirty). I'd set up some pallets outside, get a scrub brush, bucket of mild detergent and H20 and hose them all off - let dry. A dishwasher will do a similar thing, except for the minor scrubbing on the some of the real sticky ones. Probably best for keyboard that are dusty/holding cookie crumbs :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?