Options

Backup/ Fail-safe strategy

sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I currently looking to see if there is a better failsafe/backup method other than the one I'm implementing at my small workplace.

We currently run two windows 2008 servers. one acting as domain controller, staffs also save their files to this server and the other as database server for our application. 'Servers are shutdown at the end of the working day'.

Heres our backup method:
We have a 1TB NAS drive, five 70GB tapes (one for each working day of the week) and a 1TB external HD.

First time, We set our database server to backup the database at 5pm (all input has been stopped by staffs by that time) to a location on the server. Say about 5:15 backup should be done, the backup file is copied to the external HD for offline storage. Then I close for work.

Afterwards, every morning, I copy the database backup file to the NAS drive drive. I also copy it to a location on the Domain controller and then I take a backup of the domain controller (system state + staff files + database file) to the tape drive. Full backup is done everyday of the week. Tape drive is given to an HR staff for offline storage.

So we have a DB backup in an external HD, the NAS and its also part of the Domain controller tape backup.

For fail-safe, just incase the DB server crashes. It has been replicated on the Domain controller but all the services stopped. If the DB server crashes, we start all the SQL services on the DC, restore the database from backup file and have the Domain controller running as our DB server till we get the original DB server back online.

The DB server is growing and I'm afraid this method isn't good, so I need your suggestions. I met this backup routine and I'd like to suggest a better one to here at my workplace, if there is any (given the conditions we are running on). I'd like suggestions of backup solutions (software/hardware) we could use to make things easier and all that.

Thanks in advance.