Windows 8 to use fewer resources.

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
I'm watching the live feed from the Microsoft //build/ conference, where they're going over Windows 8...

Windows 8 to use fewer resources. | Fix the Exchange!

Live feed from Microsoft: Home - BUILD | September 13 - 16, 2011 | Anaheim Convention Center

The interface looks great for touch screen devices, I still want to see (and use) it on a desktop before passing any judgement there though.

Gnome went in a similar direction with Gnome 3, and I can't stand using Gnome 3 on a desktop.

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Gnome went in a similar direction with Gnome 3, and I can't stand using Gnome 3 on a desktop.

i hear you i switched to mint linux because of the gnome changes

what id really like to know is if i can get any android tablet and flash over windows 8 tablet, and will legacy software work on the tablet version

i know its a pain in the *** to support tablets on a network, maybe windows tablet will fix taht
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I just got to the part where they did a boot demo... WOW, it boots insanely fast!
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Apparently Windows 8 will be available for download tonight. They showed visual studio 11 express available in the App Store wonder if I'll be able to download it if I get the OS installed.
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    Apparently Windows 8 will be available for download tonight. They showed visual studio 11 express available in the App Store wonder if I'll be able to download it if I get the OS installed.

I must not have gotten that far in the presentation yet. I was watching it live, but I had to pause it for a couple hours to attend a few conference calls. If you see a link to download it, post it up! I want to try and install it on a VM as soon as it is available so I can do a full review. icon_cool.gif
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I thought 8 looks pretty freakin sweet. Calling the buttons on the side charms though was kinda stupid. Also I wonder if the boot up of the laptop and desktop had alot to do with a ssd pci card or ssd sata drive. Still though it was fast even for that. I thought that RDP was awesome to. I also liked the login of touching the picture in certain areas to unlock the computer. All in all its just awesome. Oh I also forgot to mention the restore function as well. Its like taking a snap shot and then always being able to go back to that spot. Freakin Awesome!!! This will make my life easier for setting up kiosk machines.
    I'm not sure if the download site is getting crazy traffic or if my DSL just sucks but I should be able to install Windows 8 with the developer tools in about 11 hours!
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the download site is getting crazy traffic or if my DSL just sucks but I should be able to install Windows 8 with the developer tools in about 11 hours!

Your DSL sucks, I'm getting 1.5MB/sec from it, will have it within an hour.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    And they said Windows 7 would have awesome battery life for laptops........I'll believe it when I see it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't wait to try it out!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
    FYI it will not install on VMWare Workstation 7. Supposedly it will on 8, but 8 is a private beta that I do not have. However it seems to be installing just fine on VirtualBox 4.1.2.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I'll check it out if I have time at work tomorrow morning. (Getting it at 3MB/sec btw ^^) I've a fresh i7 2600, 8GB machine to throw it on anyway.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    Your DSL sucks, I'm getting 1.5MB/sec from it, will have it within an hour.

Yeah I've been meaning to bring a new dsl modem/802.11n wireless device from work since I moved in here recently. I would imagine the roommate plugged into the 2wire is getting better speeds.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FYI it will not install on VMWare Workstation 7. Supposedly it will on 8, but 8 is a private beta that I do not have. However it seems to be installing just fine on VirtualBox 4.1.2.

vmware workstation 8 is now released RTM
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Nevermind, found where it is going to be at...
    Microsoft Reimagines Windows, Presents Windows 8 Developer Preview: BUILD conference attendees and developers get first access to new operating system.

Just says "Later this week"

According to PCMag it will be available at 8 PM tonight.
    Windows 8 Developer Preview Available Tonight | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Should be able to download it from this site: Windows Dev Center

Thanks for posting
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

I just checked Facebook, and I have a couple of friends that posted the snapshots of it last night. They got it working in VirtualBox. I thought you guys probably figured that out already.
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    vmware workstation 8 is now released RTM

Will ya look at that, just release today, nice! Ugh, $100 to upgrade. icon_sad.gif
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Will ya look at that, just release today, nice! Ugh, $100 to upgrade. icon_sad.gif

/me is hoping we're getting our NFR licenses upgraded ....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p