Options

Should I tell this person to stop "bragging" about me, or leave it be?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay, so on this helpdesk a few days ago, I took more calls than usual. There is a person who started with me and we are both sorta still new. We've been there for 3 months. This person asked me how many calls I had (and continues to do so) and I told him. Seems like he's telling everyone around the desk this. I had someone walk up to me and say "I heard you had x number of calls the other day, I had x calls". I responded "Yeah, but it was mostly account stuff". I sit around a few people who have been there longer than me and much more experienced. One walked up to my desk while I was on a call and said "An account activation? I haven't had those in months!". I suspect he told enough people that the word got around to the people who sit around me. I never would "brag" or anything and I know the only reason I got more calls than usual was because they related to easy account stuff. I would conclude next that people would probably think I'm trying to brag or somerthing. I never bring up how many calls I've had but I was asked by this person several times today. What made it more annoying was how he would ask out loud as walking past my desk. It seems like it will eventually bring attention (and not in a good way) if this continues. I don't talk to anyone really. I do my job and I try to do it to my best ability. In the case of those account related calls, I was trying to keep my stats really low and I succeeded in that. Should I just lie about the number of calls I have when this person ask, or should I tell him to stop this?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Man, don't you just hate that? I can related to you somehow. If it bothers you too much, then you can ask him/her politely that you don't want to be praised anymore since it's probably getting old and embarrassing. I had a teacher who kept bragging about my A+ certification, and it has been more than 2 years since I passed it. He was trying to convince more students to take his A+ cert prep classes, and I told him you're not gonna accomplish that by praising me since honestly in my opinion, I did better academically than most students. I am the first and the only student to have the CompTIA Trio by the time I graduate. I rather be praised if I have my CCNA and MCITP.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Some people are nosy, and they will keep stalking and talking. I've had similar experience. Just try to ignore him, and whenever he tries to start a conversation, tell him you're busy...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    jakecitrixjakecitrix Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just ignore the haters and keep up the hard work.

just tell your manager or supervisor about this.

or when they ask just state the amount of calls you got and say they are just easy account issues and laugh
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just really think this will bring a lot of unwanted attention(again, not good attention) really soon if this keeps happening.

Thats what I usually do too. I say "it was mostly easy account stuff"
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    One thing I have learned so far at my first day of being on help desk is people don't like to talk about work. Those who do, don't stay very long. Just try and switch subjects. I get to do more training this weekend and then next weekend I will be on there Part time 24 hours a week. Next, time he does that just try and switch the topic to something like video games. Just don't go into the what forums do you browse. I have found people do not like that question.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. Just keep working hard and your performance will speak for itself. Don't worry about the other guy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just tell him thanks for the props but you don't like bragging about that type of stuff and would much rather keep it low key. Though it may be based with good intentions, it will certainly cause some friction among coworkers.....icon_sad.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My old co-worker and I used to have ticket closing contests bragging to each other which one is better.

It was fun and kept us motivated to do work.

Not really related to what you said but it's OK to brag a little with friends if you are just teasing. Even if they start telling everyone else, just joke back with them. Make some friends. You can do that by being humble too. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why get upset because you are doing a better job than them? Around here there were some contests to get the most calls but nothing really came out of it. Just friendly banter. If its really bugging you, talk to your manager. He is the only one who should care how many calls you took.

My call numbers are usually lower than my peers because I'm always working on projects or in meetings. But if you look at the average call, mine is 1-2 minutes lower. Why? Because the first thing I do is isolate the problem to whether it is something I can fix or something that I can't fix. If I can't, ticket opened and off it goes rather than wasting 15 minues of both of our time.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Sounds trivial, and I recommend you address it as such - one possibility would be humor. Example:

HIM: Hey, so how many calls did you take today?
    YOU: 9000. I've got a business to run here what with my ho's calling to check in. Pimpin ain't easy.

or come up with some other more believable ***** response.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ehnde wrote: »
    Sounds trivial, and I recommend you address it as such - one possibility would be humor. Example:

HIM: Hey, so how many calls did you take today?
    YOU: 9000. I've got a business to run here what with my ho's calling to check in. Pimpin ain't easy.

or come up with some other more believable ***** response.

In the same vein as the above, I would just tell this guy to get off my jock. Assuming this guy isn't being malicious about his praise, I would certainly be cool about it, but if he kept on, I would be a bit more demanding about it.

Especially if this guy is interfering with one's daily hustle...
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Next time he asks, raise your pinky to your mouth and say "One hundred billion calls".
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration