Options

A quick question for people who've done contract-to-hire

How often did you get hired after the contract was completed? Trying to decide if this position I'm applying for is right for me.
Completed Courses:
SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
TWA1, CPW2
Incompleted Courses:
nothing :)

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I started on the helpdesk as a contractor in January and was permanent by the first week of June, but I know other people have sat around a lot longer waiting
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My first IT was full time with the Gubment. But after I foolishly quit and tried Real Estate I eventually caved in and started back at ground zero on the help desk. I was a big time performer I had some experience that goes a long way. I think it took me 5 months to get hired on as a FTE. I then bounced after just under 2 years for a 6 month contract as a team lead, then back to the same company as a network / deskside analyst. Then back to the contract world as a senior technical team lead. I've been leap frogging ever since trying to move up and up and up. So far so good.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    All told, 18 months. The initial contract was 6 months but it got dragged out and I stuck around. So 18 months from being hired as a contractor to converted to an FTE.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Currently there's a position like 5 blocks from my house and I'd make about 15k more than my old position if I was hired. I currently commute 30 minutes to work every night doing a night shift. Is it worth taking the risk and taking a contract position and hoping to get hired? I'm a FTE with full benefits, PTO, sick days, etc.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm 1 for 1. But what I found is that recruiters will mislead you. I started my job with the expectation that it was a 6 month contract to hire. What it really was, was an indefinite contract with the potential to move in if a spot opened. A spot opened at 5 months and I was brought on. Some of my fellow consultants went a year or more on their contract to hire. When a spot was open the manager would take whoever he thought was the best fit, didn't care much about time spent.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I'm 1 for 1. But what I found is that recruiters will mislead you. I started my job with the expectation that it was a 6 month contract to hire. What it really was, was an indefinite contract with the potential to move in if a spot opened. A spot opened at 5 months and I was brought on. Some of my fellow consultants went a year or more on their contract to hire. When a spot was open the manager would take whoever he thought was the best fit, didn't care much about time spent.

this is exactly what I'm afraid of.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    drew726 wrote: »
    this is exactly what I'm afraid of.

Don't be afraid, just do your job well and hope for the best. I'm in the same position and still deciding. Never been a contractor, I'm use to feeling "secure" as a FTE.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WiseWun wrote: »
    Don't be afraid, just do your job well and hope for the best. I'm in the same position and still deciding. Never been a contractor, I'm use to feeling "secure" as a FTE.

+1 When I got hired I was basically the newest on the team (2 people started the following Monday). When my manager pulled me aside to ask if I would be interested in being hired he said that he had to hire who would hurt him the most if they left. Just do your job the best that you can and make yourself that person that would hurt him or her the most to leave.

I don't like the whole contracting feel either. I just want to come to work, do what I can, and go home with my paycheck. Don't want to be thinking that next week I might not have a job anymore.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At my current job it was contract-to-hire with a 90 day grace period to decide if I was going to be FT with the company or not. They hired me FT after 2 weeks I mainly believe due to the insane amount of company growth at the time.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore