Options

Do you have someone at your work who is angry and stressed all the time?

I have someone at work who is angry and stressed all the time and he is in the same position as me. He gets along with everyone, but towards me especially he gets angry and stressed out. I have only been working at this company for 5 months and he has been working here for almost a year. I do not know what I do that causes him to get angry and stressed out. Maybe it's my stupidity? I don't know. I am being moved from Desktop Technician 1 to Help Desk Tier 1 support in 2 days so I don't have to deal with him anymore.

He has already done Help Desk Tier 1 and decided to move to Desktop Technician 1 because it was a more of a hands on job and he thinks anyone who goes to Help Desk is lazy as all hell. So what I said to that is they do a little bit more technical work then we do and stuff. This guy just comes in with a high stress level everyday and he gets angry at the stupidest little things.

Example: We were mounting a cisco phone on the wall. I screwed up and did not line the holes up. So like a normal person I troubleshooted how I could fix it, if you would call it that. So even before I could tell him my idea, he freaks the f out and basically starts swearing and throwing things around. I mean come on! I had an idea and he won't even let me express it. Plus a tour group was walking by and he could not even give a F about them and just did what he want. He also says where the F is that tool and stuff. It's driving me insane because I am in charge of the stockroom for 2 more days and I have to deal with his angry and high stress.

The thing that sucks is I am always his target to take his angry out on someone. What is this guy's deal!? I have never had to face this until now at any job that I have done. Not even in retail.

At this point I am not sure what to think of the IT environment. I hope help desk is a lot better than this. So far its just a bunch of people getting angry at the customer, your co-worker, or the user. I mean come on! I try and stay positive and everyone hates this job and says that we are just furniture movers, but i say hey we get to deal with HP hardware. They say yeah but when resumes are talking about dealing with HP hardware they mean the insides, not mounting them to the fing desks and configuring them.

Anyways, sorry I had to vent. I need some opinions. I don't want to bag out in IT. I want to continue and be strong while doing it. I am loosing all motivation though. If the co-workers are going to be complete a-holes in every environment, then screw this.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't worked with people that bad, but I have worked with some that get in knots when the slightest things go wrong. Prefer not to get into details due to professionalism.

I just ignore it. Chuckle about it in my head and then move on.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I have dealt with people like that, and I have dealt with feeling that way towards someone also, yet not displaying it.

On his side, some people just rub you the wrong way, but that does not excuse his behavior.

Just ignore and smile, don't let it get to you, some people are just jerks, you'll meet many in life.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Armymanis wrote: »
    even before I could tell him my idea, he freaks the f out and basically starts swearing and throwing things around..

I'm sorry but this part made me laugh, I had a mental picture! I once had a co-worker who just didn't like me for no apparent reason, I heard it was because of my position/salary, he's been there for awhile and I was the new guy. Any who, my advice is just to ignore him for the next 2 days and you will be alright. What do others have to say about him? Have you talked to management?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I would definitely try to talk to someone higher up about him.

Doing that in front of users is not only very unprofessional but it also makes all of you look bad. I can't imagine management letting that happen if they knew that it was going on.

Sounds like he's just not fit for that job.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    I just laugh and keep smiling right at them when people do that. Once I have to tell people you gotta chill on that stuff with me, they 9 out of 10 times stop. It's like you gotta bully the bully back in some regards to get them to stop.

If it seems he just does it with you, you got to shut it down in a professional way. It's like he knows he can get away with it with you for some reason.

I would recommend telling him something about it, but since you're moving away from him then I wouldn't bother and save it for the next goober who always gets mad for no reason.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Devilry wrote: »

Just ignore and smile, don't let it get to you, some people are just jerks, you'll meet many in life.

For the record, I truly believe this is the correct way for most people, but I hate when people try to get over on me so I let them know instead of this or going to management.

It just depends what type of person you're, which will determine how you will handle it.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    briandy81 wrote: »
    For the record, I truly believe this is the correct way for most people, but I hate when people try to get over on me so I let them know instead of this or going to management.

It just depends what type of person you're, which will determine how you will handle it.

I'm with you, do as I say, not as I do.

Personally I let someone have a dose of their own medicine.
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Just got to make it until Friday and then im free from this aweful position and moved to Help Desk Tier 1 within the company. I am just sick of this crew and how they treat me like crap. They say they are joking, but i cannot detect sarcasm worth a crap. So it's very hard for me to distinguish whats not a put down and whats not. Thank god I only have 2 1/2 more days left including today. I cannot stand this environment. I think i will be much happier at the help desk.

They say I have gotten lazy and all I do is watch computer equipment and go on forums, but I tell them well give me some work to do and I will do it. You guy's dont give me any work to do, and when you do and watch me do it. Then you say I do it wrong!? I mean come on! I learn the way they are doing it and then its not fast enough for them. My manager understands that being stockroom boy is a crappy assignment and that is not my job title, but it has to be done. So I have sucked it up and did this crap. ARGH!

All I can say is, I am super glad I am going to Help Desk. I can learn some new skills and not have to put up with this mediocre crap.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    While remaining respectful, show this guy that you will not passively accept anything he says without question. Verbally stand your ground. What can he do to harm you? Punch you in the face? He'd be fired and you'd be rid of him.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    While remaining respectful, show this guy that you will not passively accept anything he says without question. Verbally stand your ground. What can he do to harm you? Punch you in the face? He'd be fired and you'd be rid of him.
    +1. His "Hell's Kitchen/Chef Gordon Ramsey" behavior is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Like others have said, don't make threats or try to get even with him, simply let HR and the higher ups know and DEMAND that they do something about his repeated outbursts.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's plenty of stress in this line of work. I personally try not to get too stressed but some days it's difficult. I can get more cross than angry but it's usually born of frustration and happens only occasionally. While you need to be assertive sometimes you shouldn't blow everything to hell. It's unnecessary and never comes over well.

All those sorts of reactions are normal but you do need to keep them in check. What you have here though is an attitude problem on the part of the person concerned. Learn to ignore, deflect or confront these people in a controlled way and you will have less issues with them. Handling stress is a large part of being successful not only in this profession but in life in general. People who are good at that succeed. People like this guy, dont. Learn to handle yourself well, particularly when around people who dont.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like their envious and probably see you as competition. It reminds of my first day of work in the IT field, one guy tried to make it look like I was lazy in front my boss. Later down the line, the boss started talking to that guy about his mistakes on the server configurationicon_lol.gif
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    There's plenty of stress in this line of work. I personally try not to get too stressed but some days it's difficult. I can get more cross than angry but it's usually born of frustration and happens only occasionally. While you need to be assertive sometimes you shouldn't blow everything to hell. It's unnecessary and never comes over well.

All those sorts of reactions are normal but you do need to keep them in check. What you have here though is an attitude problem on the part of the person concerned. Learn to ignore, deflect or confront these people in a controlled way and you will have less issues with them. Handling stress is a large part of being successful not only in this profession but in life in general. People who are good at that succeed. People like this guy, dont. Learn to handle yourself well, particularly when around people who dont.

Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I have only been at this position for 5 months and I am already getting promoted to Help Desk Tier 1. I consider it a promotion because all we were doing as a Desktop Technician 1 was installating computers onto desks. Now I will actually get to use some ticketing software and answer phone calls and have basic privlages to reset passwords in active directory for users.

So far I have not met anyone at the Help Desk environment like this, and I plan to keep it that way. I am really loving working in the IT field so far though and plan to keep doing it for the rest of my life. I needed to vent. When do you think it is a good time for me to start working on certs? I am getting my AA in IT-Technical Support in December and then getting my Bachelors in IT and Administrative management later on, but I was holding off on the certs until I have at least 3 years experience in IT at Help Desk.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The helpdesk gig is a step up from what you have been doing and a move forward. You should now knuckle down and become very good at helpdesk work on every level. At the same time you should press ahead on your certifications. You do not want to be resetting passwords for 3 years. Certs will help you move up, providing you are already working in the field.
  • Options
    well as you know I mentioned I have been working in this field for 4 months already as a Desktop Technician 1 and just recently got promoted to Help Desk Tier 1. So I hope everything will work out for me in the end.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I get pretty stressed out at work but I usually try to just laugh at the situation. I have a pretty self-deprecating personality :-/
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    jakecitrixjakecitrix Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tell ur manager or something bro
  • Options
    i am just going to wait it out. I only have two more days and then i will be moved up to help desk tier 1 support.