WIC-1T or T1 card...

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have 6 routers, two of them are 2500's, two are 2600's and the other two are 1841's.

I was thinking of getting some WIC-1T's for my lab, but I already have WIC-T1DSU's in each router (except for the 2500's, of course). Should I get some WIC-1T's for each other router? I will most definitely get at least one so that I can do frame relay.

I want to get more experience with serial connections for the CCNA test, I know these really aren't used anymore in the real world, but for the test it'll be on the plus side to learn everything that I'll be tested on.

What's everyone's suggestion on this topic?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    The T1 DSU Wic is sufficient. No real difference except the "hand off" - Serial is Serial as far as looking at the stats

You can do "frame relay" with the T1 WIC (RJ45 hand off) - it's encapsulated as frame-relay and functions just the same.

True Serial connections are still widely used amongst service providers they have a lot invested ATM/Frame -

What I'd be concerned with for the test for Serial is the IOS point of view and looking at Layer 1/2 Statistics on the controllers and interfaces
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for your input. I think I'll just stick with my T1 cards then. I'll use GNS3 for my serial configurations to sim with. I'll pull over my IOS's from my 2500 and use those.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S