Options

posting resume on job sites while currently employed

bababooey1bababooey1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
It seems convenient but I'm sure there's a chance of my current employer finding my resume on one of these sites.

Anyone ever been busted?

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. I posted about this on a similar topic awhile back. A couple years ago I worked for a small family owned IT consulting company. Three months into the job and I already couldn't stand it so I started posting my resume everywhere. The President, who was also my direct boss, found my updated resume on Monster while he was looking to hire an additional tech. The next day he called me into his office and and asked me why I was looking for another job. It was the most awkward couple minutes of my life. I ended up mumbling something about trying to find a second part time job, but he wasn't buying it. I could tell that he never really liked me to begin with so I guess that was the last straw for him. He promptly let me go after our conversation.

I'm sure not all bosses actively search for resumes since that's HR's job or a contract agency's job if they've hired one. However, I'm living proof that it does happen sometimes. Since then, I've stopped posting my resume publicly if I'm looking for a job and have opted to only apply directly to open positions and just keep my Linkedin account updated. I'd say it's worked out well since my last two resignations have caught my managers by surprise.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    bababooey1bababooey1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ugh. That must have been the most uncomfortable situation ever. I just set all my resumes to "private." Thanks Alif_Sadida_Ekin .
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This has always been a fear of mine. I always look quietly. That means not posting my resume and applying selectively to positions I determine may be a good fit. With my luck I am sure the same thing Alif_Sadida_Ekin experienced would happen to me.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I keep an eye out on openings for the company I'm working for has before posting my resume online. If they have any openings that look like they may contain keywords that would bring my resume up, I don't post it. If a new opening comes up while I'm searching, I'll take it down.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are no secrets in the world.

I still do it though ;)
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Everyone wrote: »
    I keep an eye out on openings for the company I'm working for has before posting my resume online. If they have any openings that look like they may contain keywords that would bring my resume up, I don't post it. If a new opening comes up while I'm searching, I'll take it down.

That can be tiredsome, I don't think I can keep up! The safest route for me is making it private on the boards and having an updated Linkedin profile.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
    Yes. I posted about this on a similar topic awhile back. A couple years ago I worked for a small family owned IT consulting company. Three months into the job and I already couldn't stand it so I started posting my resume everywhere. The President, who was also my direct boss, found my updated resume on Monster while he was looking to hire an additional tech. The next day he called me into his office and and asked me why I was looking for another job. It was the most awkward couple minutes of my life. I ended up mumbling something about trying to find a second part time job, but he wasn't buying it. I could tell that he never really liked me to begin with so I guess that was the last straw for him. He promptly let me go after our conversation.

I'm sure not all bosses actively search for resumes since that's HR's job or a contract agency's job if they've hired one. However, I'm living proof that it does happen sometimes. Since then, I've stopped posting my resume publicly if I'm looking for a job and have opted to only apply directly to open positions and just keep my Linkedin account updated. I'd say it's worked out well since my last two resignations have caught my managers by surprise.

Wow. Pretty unprofessional in my opinion. At least you get to collect unemployment. I put my resume up all the time, and I dont even care if my company finds it. I actually had an experience recently where my boss asked me about my resume being up and I just told him " I am not going to close the door on opportunity's". He respected that and we went on with life. I dont feel like an employeer has the right to say that you cant post your resume, or even fire you for posting it. However, thats the joy of "at will" work I guess.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    WiseWun wrote: »
    That can be tiredsome, I don't think I can keep up! The safest route for me is making it private on the boards and having an updated Linkedin profile.
    Making it private is pretty much the same as not posting it. Not searchable, so no one is going to find it.

Be careful with LinkedIn, if you have coworkers on there, or anyone that knows your boss, someone might let it slip that they saw on your LinkedIn that you're looking around.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Making it private is pretty much the same as not posting it. Not searchable, so no one is going to find it.

It's not searchable but you can still apply to positions with a resume set to private on job sites (Careerbuilder, Monster, etc.)
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

• Options
    reppgoa wrote: »
    Wow. Pretty unprofessional in my opinion. At least you get to collect unemployment.

I didn't. I don't know why. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten it anyway since I was only there for three months. Don't you have to be working for an employer longer than that to qualify? Anyway, I picked up a much better job two weeks after I got let go, so it all worked out in the end. It was really a blessing in disguise that I got fired from there.

• Options
    badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    Wow. Pretty unprofessional in my opinion. At least you get to collect unemployment. I put my resume up all the time, and I dont even care if my company finds it. I actually had an experience recently where my boss asked me about my resume being up and I just told him " I am not going to close the door on opportunity's". He respected that and we went on with life. I dont feel like an employeer has the right to say that you cant post your resume, or even fire you for posting it. However, thats the joy of "at will" work I guess.

I have an updated resume online, and share a similar viewpoint. Depending on where you live, there may be legal implications in dismissing someone that was looking for another job while currently employed, and could be considered to be wrongful dismissal. Obviously, consult with legal counsel if you need a legitimate, informed legal opinion relevant to the laws and statutes of where you reside. No employer has ever inquired to why I have a resume online on the various job boards. If asked, I would answer that I always keep an updated resume online and it is no different than having a LinkedIn profile (I have recently had more employment offers via that route). Just be certain to not to use company resources while engaging in a job search, which depending on the AUP you operate under could very well taint a wrongful dismissal lawsuit (Again, IANAL).

Employers that behave in a frankly unethical manner by terminating employees that were passively engaging in a job search will result in the remaining employees becoming more guarded, unwilling to trust management, give the legal minimal notice required when leaving, etc.

To invert the scenario, a company does not need to tell their employees when they are looking at possible candidates. Loyalty, or lack thereof, is a two-way street.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I do it. If I get asked, I'll just tell them I like to keep my resume updated.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I updated my resume once when I was working for a contract company. I received a call in under an hour from my "recruiter" asking me why I was leaving my current contract without notifying them. I was taken back on how they reacted to it, when I had just updated it to included passing an exam. Granted, i was actively searching for full time employment to get away from contract work, but that was besides the point :)
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668

Man that had to be awkward!
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If they ask you about it say can you guarantee that I will never be laid off from this job do to bad economy? Can you guarantee that I will be givin a promotion every 1-2 years? Can you guarantee that I will be making 90k+ in the next 5-10 years working here? If not then why wouldn't I keep my resume' out there incase something big comes my way or incase you lay me off.
  • Options
    1233412334 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's just a job there's another one up the road. :) That saying used to be true. Anyways, I'd let them know that I like to keep my resume updated. Shoot I update my resume at work.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Any employer that thinks that they don't have employees searching for another job is kidding themselves. They may not be actively searching but there's always another opportunity if it strikes you when the mood is right. It's the employers that take it personal that end up doing what he did to you. It's the cost of doing business. It makes me wonder how some people even made it to manager or higher status without figuring this out.
  • Options
    jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    " I am not going to close the door on opportunity's".
    this is the correct answer. if a boss cant deal with that, you are probably better off somewhere else
  • Options
    al91206al91206 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unless you work for a pretty small company or a grumpy (worse word in mind) boss - nobody cares what is posted or where it's posted. I would just be wary about actively looking for a job (browsing sites, etc) on the job. Other than that - having your resume up around shouldn't be any problem.

Best choice is LinkedIn since having a presence there IS having your resume up there and I've gotten more than few leads there. I've always had my resume on monster, dice, and about a dozen other sites while working - always. You never know who is looking at what opportunity might come your way.