Options

"Do something the Microsoft way” …..What does this mean?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I’m studying for my Windows 7 70-680 certification, and I have read some posts on this forum that have some members toss around the saying “do something the Microsoft way” …..What does this mean?

Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t’ currently work in IT(I'm currently looking for a IT job) , so I’m not sure what the difference is between the Microsoft way and the Corporate office/real world environment.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You'll figure it out soon enough. There's the "test answer", and then there's the way you'd actually do it. They aren't always the same. I'm sure you've run into that in other areas of life. It's not unique to Microsoft or IT.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only way I can think to explain it is that if there are multiple ways to accomplish the same goal, what would the preferred way according to Microsoft. You might see a question where every answer could be correct, but only one is the right answer depending on the wording of the question. Man, I hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One example would be if you are talking about configuring a router. In the real world, you would use a Cisco router. On a Microsoft exam its going to be a Server 2003/2008 machine with RRAS installed.

For someone new to IT, this usually isn't an issue. It catches the people that have been working in IT for awhile (and thus have lots of on the job knowledge) and think that they should be able to sit down and pass a Microsoft exam because they have been working with the technology for 10 years. What Microsoft thinks you should know and what is really needed in the work place are not always the same. As long as you have done your studying from good sources, you should be fine.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Another way to describe it is this: I use gimagex when I want to capture a windows 7 image to a .wim file. Why? Cause it has a gui and is quicker to just click through things real quick and start the capture. This is my way and the I.T. departments way of doing it.

Microsofts way: They want you to use the cmd line and use imagex with its different switches and options and manually typing in the location to save it to and all the other crap that takes longer.

Knowing how to do both is a good thing but MS wants it done via imagex cmd line.

Also when I want to get to the system properties of a computer I use the windows key and hit pause-break key MS will want you to right click on computer and then click on properties or even go through control panel. Or when I want to bring up task manager I use ctrl-shift-esc keys but, MS will want you to right click on the task bar and select start task manager or do ctrl-alt-delete and then select task manager. My way cuts down on those steps so I use it instead.

There are lots of examples of this but hoefully that helps explain things better.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Knowing how to do both is a good thing but MS wants it done via imagex cmd line.

I don't know that I would even say that they want it done their way. They are just testing you on the Microsoft product. If you want to claim to be certified in Windows 7, then you better understand all of the parts of the OS even if you choose not to use them. Microsoft knows that there are other tools out there that perform certain jobs better, but it is not in the scope for them to test you on them. Windows Server has a built in packet sniffer, but anyone will tell you that you should use WireShark for that.
    Decide what to be and go be it.