Options

What certs (besides A+) are attainable without work experience?

jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Like the title says, which certifications have you all found are reasonably attainable without the benefit of any real IT work experience? I have just started school for a degree in CIS with a networking specialization, and while I have 8 years of work experience, none of it is in IT.
Browsing the A+ requirements that seems like a fairly obvious answer. But what about things like Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CIW etc?
Any and all input appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jcole4lsu wrote: »
    Like the title says, which certifications have you all found are reasonably attainable without the benefit of any real IT work experience? I have just started school for a degree in CIS with a networking specialization, and while I have 8 years of work experience, none of it is in IT.
    Browsing the A+ requirements that seems like a fairly obvious answer. But what about things like Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CIW etc?
    Any and all input appreciated.

It really depends on the person and how much they commit to their studies. The CIW certifications cover a lot of material but they aren't very focused. I personally think the Net+, Sec+, CCENT, and some of the CIW certs are obtainable without I.T. experience.

I would recommend the CCENT over all the others, especially with consideration to your degree focus. The Security+ is also useful, but is more difficult than the CCENT in my opinion.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've gotten CCNA & Sec+ w/out any IT experience.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security + is a nice one and from what I hear the CCENT is another good one.

If you like Windows, maybe one of the Windows 7 certifications would work well for you.
  • Options
    dave330i - I've gotten CCNA & Sec+ w/out any IT experience.
    how difficult was that? I never really considered being able to get the full CCNA without some sort of work experience.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I would say any cert is attainable without work experience. It depends on whether you have the time and put in the efforts to learn all this stuff once you get off work.

I completed the MCITP track without any experience, and most of my CCNA was done without work experience.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I would say any cert is attainable without work experience. It depends on whether you have the time and put in the efforts to learn all this stuff once you get off work.

I was about to post the same. If you really want something and work hard, it may take longer, but you'll get it no matter what.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    how difficult was that? I never really considered being able to get the full CCNA without some sort of work experience.

Wasn't too bad. About 2 month studying full time reading Lammle, watching CBT Nugget and doing sims to get familiar with CLI.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

As dave already said, it's not too bad at all. I spent two semesters taking the classes in college, though if I were self studying I would have gotten through it a lot quicker.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the answers folks.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on which to study for first: Net+ or CCENT?
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go CCENT myself. Cisco just carries more weight than CompTIA.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    you can get a loooot of certifications without real experience
    but then is the real world application issue

and this is for all certs, even A+

Yeah you read everything, memorized it but then your employer expects you to take off the jumpers of something in your motherboard
    and you've seen the book pics
    but you've never done it

what you do now?

thats kind of the issue with certifications and no experience
    just get yourself a 75$ pc from someone, some ppl even throw working stuff out
    just gather that and experiment, practice
    same with routers, same with err programming or windows server.
    Install in a virtual and play around

But if you just read and memorize the "text"... hmm
    gonna hit a wall somewhen in your job
    meh
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would go CCENT myself. Cisco just carries more weight than CompTIA.

No question about it.

I would go CCENT and directly into the CCNA.