Options

Contract roles & giving notice

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
I knew there was a thread on here about it somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it.

However, when putting in notice at a contracting position - should you notify your recruiter first/after/at all?

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Whoever you report to first... not sure about the recruiter as I've never worked a contract. However someone who got hired as a contracted and started the week after I did, just put in her notice the other day. She told me that her recruiter wasn't very happy with her. I imagine her recruiter probably didn't get all (if he even got any) of his money, for getting her into the position, since she only stayed a month and a half.

Anyway, I'd say if you haven't had to deal with the recruiter regularly since taking the position, then all you really need to worry about is giving the notice to your boss. Your boss will tell whoever else needs to know. Or you could even ask when you turn it in... "Hey is there anyone else that I should give a copy of this to?"
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would notify the recruiter, you never know when you may need them again. I have a friend that has worked with TEKsystems many times, he has given notice on contracts that they had for him, because he is such a good worker and promptly notified them, he has been able to go back and work other contracts with TEKsystems.
  • Options
    I would notify the recruiter, you never know when you may need them again. I have a friend that has worked with TEKsystems many times, he has given notice on contracts that they had for him, because he is such a good worker and promptly notified them, he has been able to go back and work other contracts with TEKsystems.

I figured as much. Notify direct manager first, second - recruiter for a heads up.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Technically, I think that's backwards. I work for a recruiter and I would notify them first before telling my supervisor at the site I'm working at. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    I should mention this post was a "what if" rather than a "I am doing this" type post.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    Technically, I think that's backwards. I work for a recruiter and I would notify them first before telling my supervisor at the site I'm working at. Just my opinion though.
    Totally agree with you, the recruiter is the one who is sending your paycheck. But in the past i've given notice to the recruiter first and the job second. Recruiter was fine with it, the job, not so much.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.