Options

Nexus 1000v

fightclub34fightclub34 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
If multiple hosts are using the same nexus 1000v switch and they connnect upstream to the same cisco 6500, do I create seperate port channels for each host or can all hosts be included in the same port channel?

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally port channel really only make sense when using a stack with multiple switch member where each member is used as backup. So one single host with two nics, one nic into each stack member so you'd use a porrtchannel for those two nics.

Now when you use a Nexus however, I seem to remember that port channels are not necessary (can't find the source right now though).

Now you say you got s single hardware switch, in that case I don't think port channels make a lot of sense, you could easily use Port ID instead of IP Hash as a failover policy.

But assuming I have two hosts, two nics each and all four nics are connected to the same vDS, I'd probably put those four nics into the same port group assuming you got each link connected to a different member of a stack .. If you got two member in a stack I'd probably go back to the example above, nic #1 of server 1+2 in one port channel and nic #2 of server 1+2 into another, assuming nic #1 and #2 goes into either member.

But like I say, if you just have a single physical switch then I don't think you have to use port channels. It all 'depends'.

Still, I am nowhere near a Cisco guru, I am merely a long time user if you will.

Found this :

Cisco IOS Hints and Tricks: VMware Virtual Switch: no need for STP
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p