Options

Good news: IT unemployment rate

With all the talk in the media about unemployment, recessions, double-dip recessions, foreclosures, etc., I thought that some good news may be refreshing for those of you who are seeking employment in the information technology field.

The national unemployment rate for computer and mathematical occupations in August was 3.7% compared to 4.3% in the same period one year ago. The overall average national unemployment rate remained at 9.1% in August compared to 9.5% in the same period one year ago. Computer and mathematical jobs are trickling back at a faster rate than almost any other occupation category.

So try not to get discouraged. You could be saying "would you like an apple pie with your order sir", in which case there is a 11.8% average national unemployment rate in the food preparation and serving related occupations category.

Source:
Bureau of Labor Statistics "Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey"
A-30. Unemployed persons by occupation and sex
9/1 - Citrix A18 :study:
9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LAN_Guru wrote: »
    With all the talk in the media about unemployment, recessions, double-dip recessions, foreclosures, etc., I thought that some good news may be refreshing for those of you who are seeking employment in the information technology field.

The national unemployment rate for computer and mathematical occupations in August was 3.7% compared to 4.3% in the same period one year ago. The overall average national unemployment rate remained at 9.1% in August compared to 9.5% in the same period one year ago. Computer and mathematical jobs are trickling back at a faster rate than almost any other occupation category.

So try not to get discouraged. You could be saying "would you like an apple pie with your order sir", in which case there is a 11.8% average national unemployment rate in the food preparation and serving related occupations category.

Source:
    Bureau of Labor Statistics "Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey"
    A-30. Unemployed persons by occupation and ***

Thanks for the positive news!
  • Options
    irratikirratik Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't really trust unemployment rate statistics since they count out people who've given up looking for a job or people who have recently been laid off.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    irratik wrote: »
    I don't really trust unemployment rate statistics since they count out people who've given up looking for a job or people who have recently been laid off.

Same here, however even at the rate I suspect it really is (double) we're still doing better overall. Could be worse. How? Could be raining.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    That is pretty good news.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    LAN_Guru wrote: »

Source:
    A-30. Unemployed persons by occupation and ***

Positive news is definitely better than negative news. Thanks for the post!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IT unemployment will rise over the course of the next 3 years. If you are 'cubed', you will be outsourced. Get into more meetings and senior roles where you have a say in what a company needs to do in terms of technology. Work on your meeting skills and presentation skills. Once you are cubed and processed it can be lifted and shifted to any English speaking country.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    IT unemployment will rise over the course of the next 3 years. If you are 'cubed', you will be outsourced. Get into more meetings and senior roles where you have a say in what a company needs to do in terms of technology. Work on your meeting skills and presentation skills. Once you are cubed and processed it can be lifted and shifted to any English speaking country.

Couldn't have said it better. The days of being a super tech and being able to sit in a cube and do "techy" stuff all day have been drawing closer and closer to the end. I'm finding people skills and business skills much more important to companies than ever before. The low end or repetitive tech process oriented jobs are being not just outsourced, but offshored, and in some cases companies are hiring contractor companies that have techs that handle the same simple tasks for many companies at the same time.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Indeed. A harsh but unavoidable truth regarding IT-hope for the best but prepare for the worst. icon_sad.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534

Kind of makes me want to cut my wrists (not literally...but you get the idea) after reading that. I just joined the corporate IT world a year ago and now you're telling me that in 3 or so years if I haven't moved up to a top dog position I'll be looking for work elsewhere...probably in a different field.