Options

Installing Win Server 2008 r2 for Labs

DrumsDrums Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I do not have any experience installing a Server O/S, but would like to start preparing for the 70-640 exam. Is the evaluation version offered by Microsoft fine for labs?

What is the easiest way to set up a tiny server/domain setup in my home office? I have a vista 32-bit machine, a 32-bit vista laptop, and an old xp home pc. I was thinking of just buying a new Win7 64 bit PC , upping the RAM to 8GB or so, and installing and reinstalling the trial version until I'm done with the exams.

Any advice is much appreciated, I'm really struggling with how to broach the process. I don't want to spend a lot of money either if I can avoid it.

Comments

• Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    I built my own machine with quad core amd and 8gb ram, then installed the R2, then use Hyper-V role for your vm.
    So you should be okay with your plan. Just make sure it's 64bit cpu.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yes, get a 64 bit system with at least 8 GB of RAM, I'd recommend a quad core CPU too. You can use it as your desktop AND setup a lab on it. Your existing vista and XP systems can be used as client systems for your lab. I am completing a series of articles on doing exactly this.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked out a book over the weekend (Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed - Authors Noel, Morimoto, Amaris, Mistry, Droubi) and I felt a little intimidated by the material.

Does anyone know of a great book for starting out in the WinServ 2008 R2 world? I want to create a small domain in my home office and start practicing but I am not sure where to start?

Does anyone have any advice for me please? My ultimate goal is to get MCITP SA certified, but with only a desktop background I feel a little intimidated.
  • Options
    contivacontiva Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I would suggest purchasing a reasonable spec laptop/desktop - i5 or i7 CPU, at least 6GB of ram and install Windows 7 x64 on it. Download virtualbox software, Vmware workstation/player is another option but in my experience virtual box is lighter on the host system.

The MS trial software will work for you but if funds are available purchase a technet subscription for a few hundred $$ - this will give you access to all of MS software which is not time limited. You could even use technet for Windows 7 to install on your new machine saving a few $$.

Spend a little time going through installs, configure DHCP, DNS, Fileshares, AD and when you are fairly comfortable buy the certification guides and if possible Trainsignal and CBT nuggets. use your desktop experience and learn how to configure the services your users have - DHCP/DNS/File shares/GPO etc - you will soon start to build up a good understanding. If you need to buy a book to get started then I'd suggest the 2008R2 admin pocket guide ( ISBN - 978-0735627116 ). Good luck
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    get a technet account. download all the software you'll need, with its licenses for your lab use. remember, theres a balance between your budget and your needs. the more you spend on the hardware, the less waiting you'll do. if this is your career, then you'll know better than to gimp out.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice Lamini and contiva, and thanks to everyone in this forum. This forum has been a great resource for me and I hope to be able to give back as much as I've received. Thanks again!