Options

nervous and excited about upcoming interview with Comcast

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I have a interview with comcast this tuesday for a Technical support Rep (IP) and I'm pretty nervous on what to wear and say. This is my first time so advice for those people that had same experience is helpful.

However, I am not sure if anyone has had a similar interview. This seems to be a interview with many candidates that have passed the assessment test because the the whole interview is from 8.30 am till 3.00 pm. It's basically the whole day.

They have like a check in time from like 8.30 am to 8.45 then they have something called a GIS presentation from 9.00 am to 10.00 pm..then the interview process from 10.00 am till 3.00 pm. What kind of interview is that? the coordinator states that comcast will be giving a presentation about the company benefits and everything, so that does mean I'm basically hired...

I'm pretty nervous, what if they pick each one of us one by one and put in a room to interview..you think so?

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    keeranbri wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

I have a interview with comcast this tuesday for a Technical support Rep (IP) and I'm pretty nervous on what to wear and say. This is my first time so advice for those people that had same experience is helpful.

However, I am not sure if anyone has had a similar interview. This seems to be a interview with many candidates that have passed the assessment test because the the whole interview is from 8.30 am till 3.00 pm. It's basically the whole day.

They have like a check in time from like 8.30 am to 8.45 then they have something called a GIS presentation from 9.00 am to 10.00 pm..then the interview process from 10.00 am till 3.00 pm. What kind of interview is that? the coordinator states that comcast will be giving a presentation about the company benefits and everything, so that does mean I'm basically hired...

I'm pretty nervous, what if they pick each one of us one by one and put in a room to interview..you think so?

1. Dress professional, where a suit and tie
    2. Bring plenty of resumes

From what you said, this could mean that you spend all day, and you may interview with three or four managers. Companies like to tell you about their benefits, to make you feel happy to work there.

Be prepared to be there all day, and just know what you know, and be confident.

You do not want to be the under-dressed one.
    You also do not want to be the one who forgot enough resumes.

If you need to shape up your resume, use this weekend to post it on TechExams, so people can look at it. You might want to create a new thread particularly for that topic , though, with a more recognizable title that shows you need resume help.

To be clear: it doesn't mean you're hired. it means they're interviewing a ton of people that day, and it's the most efficient way for them to do it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone,

Residential, Business or desktop for internal employees? I ask as each one of those can bring a different level of experience or frustration. If you are wanting to break into IT. Business and internal is the best. I can say that residential tech support does give you some of the best customer services skills you could every wish for. You will deal with anyone from an already good IT guy to the dumbest person you have ever met. Being able to walk different people through all kinds of things. Although very lacking in the technical side of things. Basically unplug your equipment and plug it back in sort of thing. Business is much better as you learn how to deal with how business connections actually work. I have found in general that a lot of "call centers" comes with a lot of BS. Just be on the look at for that. Bust your backside and work towards your end goal. NOCs at a cable company are about as amazing a thing as I have ever seen. That includes my current job which has about a much space as my Cable job did. Don't stay in the call center as it will hurt you in the long run if you stay, push for the NOC if it is in your area as it is an amazing place and I only wish I could have worked in there.

I wish you all the luck in the world on this and I hope you do well and get the job. Call centers for cable companies will give you experience with every type of person you could think of and will develop you customer service skills in a way that will help you in the future..
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
    Project+ and CIW Foundations.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What to wear is easy:

ihatecomcastshirt.jpg

icon_smile.gif

Best of luck!
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Hello Everyone,

Be ready for a "Technical interview" that is canned/scripted. Be able to show your ability to be technical, but speak layman. eg, Your NIC isn't transmitting data to the to the modem, so we need to power cycle the modem... Layman " Your computer isn't talking to the modem, so we are going to turn it off for 30 seconds"

Know your basic HOME network troubleshooting. Be able to explain the process step-by-step, and why your doing it.

I have 4 years prior experience at call centers, I have done these interviews in the past.
    I'm pretty nervous
    There are hundreds of pages on interviewing, I won't get into details.. but you shouldn't be nervous, you've got it in the bag. This is the opportunity you have been waiting for!

And I agree with instant, this will be a revolving door of interviewees. Stand out, dress to impress. If you sit in front of 3-4 managers and/or team leads, have copy of your resume for each of them.. ( I have seen a person ask if the resume could be shared)
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Going to try to not burst your bubble, but will give you an honest perspective on Comcast as I have worked there and currently have a buddy there.

A few years ago I kept seeing the messages on the cable box about an open house for CAE. This was for the residential support desk, so I figured why not show. Went dressed up nicely (some did not and still got hired) and waited in a room for a little bit. First, they had us all take a computer exam. I thought "great, going to test us on our knowledge", but this was not the case. The exam was a personality exam to see if you fit what they need for customer service. Pass the exam and you go back into a room to be called in for an interview, don't pass and they will ask you to leave. It is a basic personality exam, you probably have taken them before.

From there I was interviewed by two managers I believe. They looked at my resume, asked some basic tech things (I don't recall all of it, but I want to say that there was very little as way of technical questions), and then brought back to the room. Finally, I was called in, told I was hired and that I would hear from HR on a start date. You'll wait a little bit because you will go through the Comcast Tech Class to learn about the company, values, and details of doing the job. I started at 14.25 an hour (with the night pay) and that I will say is pretty decent for only have some college and Security+ at the time.

So I finally hear from them with a start date. Basically, you are in class from 8:00 or 8:30 to 5:00 everyday for about 6 weeks (I think it might be a bit longer now). At the time, there were various groups supporting the various items Comcast had. There was a voice support department, internet department, and cable tv department. They had a couple of people who worked third shift that would learn everything and I believe now you pretty much support all the products (though Internet might still have a group). The training was ok, having any tech knowledge will put you at the top of your class for sure. Out of a class of 10, only two of us were in college for IT. One guy was a former HVAC tech, another a retired guy looking for supplemental income, two ladies who had kids and were getting back into the work force, and one guy who moved from Cali and had telcom experience with Bell South. You'll find that they don't expect a whole lot of technical skills from you as you only have a couple of options when troubleshooting:

1. Look at the signal on the modem
    2. Have user unplug modem and any networking devices
    3. Plug modem back in, plug computer directly to modem
    4. Reboot the computer

If there is no signal or it's in the red (and reboot doesn't fix it) roll a truck to fix the issue. I never had a call longer then 30 minutes as either the reboot fixed it or I rolled a truck. Comcast is very big on metrics and your raises/promotion count on your calls taken/time ratio. They have people who's sole job is to monitor all the people in the call center and if you are not on the phone they call to ask why. We were given I believe two 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute dinner. They have a lounge and cafeteria to eat in, which had computers and tvs in it.

Comcast basically only promotes from within, so you have to work there to move up (sometimes they go outside, but I have found that to be rare). The kicker is you have to work in your position for a year before you can start applying elsewhere in the company. My buddy is started in the same position as me, was there for almost two years before moving up. He had applied at other departments, but now works level 2 support at another location. Be prepared to work weekends for awhile, as you might be able to get one day off on the weekends, but not the whole thing. At the time, they had shifts and you would bid on what was left over after those who were already there picked through it. You'd list the couple of shifts you wanted and based on your social security number you'd get one of the choices you select (this is when you are in class, once you've been there it is all seniority).

If you can hack working for Comcast, you can work anywhere. As others have said, you will work with the dumbest and meanest people you've ever met. Comcast is the devil and you are the demon they get to talk to. I had some calls that went really well, but most were a mad customer who Comcast screwed over time and again (so they will tell you). Some will curse and the mute button will become your friend. I have some friends on the business side and it's about the same there. You'll gain some technical skills, but not a whole lot (unless you move up) as they don't expect a lot on the support side. One guy who sat across from me had a degree in communications and wanted to work at Sports Net. He had applied a number of times and heard nothing, on his calendar was the countdown to when he would leave. If you hang in there, it does seem that you will move up eventually (like my buddy did).

They do have some benefits though. Like UPS, they have a website where you can get all kinds of discounts on basically everything. I felt the pay was good for having no experience. I never got into the vacation time, but it seems to be almost a month from what I can tell. Finally, your cable and internet are free. When I was there it was $15 a month for phone service and they charged you for any boxes you had (one was included, all others were $3 a month). You get the highest package they have, which is nice. Also, all pay-per-view is half price so you'll find friends you didn't know you had.

Overall, it was an ok job. I quit after a month because the stress really got to me. I was young and 40 hours a week with school was draining. I know I could do it now without an issue. The biggest thing is to not let customers get to you. One night I literally took 15 calls and everyone yelled about whatever it is that ticked them off. If you can get past that, you can move around and get raises. I'd say go for it and do whatever you can to move up. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    throwerthrower Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did the interview go?

Hello Everyone,