Options

I'm at the crossroads, help!

My fellow TE members, I really need your input on this. I have been with this small company for over a year. About 5 months ago, I have been promoted to a helpdesk manager but with no salary increase, just more responsibilities. The past 5 months have been literally a nightmare but I stucked it through. I know I'm underpaid, my boss is a micromanager, no more overtime (to save company money), and my work has tremendously affected my personal/social life.

I'm also a part time student at the masters level, got a few courses left. My work is convenient in terms of location, not far from my home or school, my co-workers are great, but other than that, it’s not challenging and I can't stand it. I loved my original role as an IT support analyst. I was pretty much forced to take this role and now I get the blame for everything that goes wrong. This is one of the reasons why the guy before me left, plus I don't want to be a manager, I like to solidify my technical skills.

Last week, I was called to write an exam for a support/system admin position with a large government organization. Shortly after I completed the test, they sent me an e-mail stating they would like to see me for an interview. It's a temp position with possible extension, 2 full time slots available. I have never done a temp position or contract. I like the feeling of having a "stable" income especially at a moment when the economy is not doing so great, plus I’m paying for school and trying to save up for marriage.

The new job if I'm hired is 9-5, my classes start at 5, and the drive will add at least 45 minutes which means I'll be late for class. The salary is not a deal breaker, about 5k more then what I make now but it's less demanding and there’s opportunity for growth. I’m at the crossroads, should I go for the final interview and take a chance with this position. If yes, what excuses without raising any alarms would you use other being sick? And do you think is a great idea to bring up school and ask if I can leave 30 minutes early?
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It the current position/company your first since getting into IT?

Looking at what you posted, and the fact that you are not (yet) married, I perceive that you are still young. If you are ever going to put yourself out there and take a chance with the temp-to-perm job market, this would probably be the best time to do it, while you do not have anyone depending on you to bring home the bacon. Temp/Contract jobs are a great way to build experience early on. Also, it sounds like this type of work is more indicative of the kind of work that would make you happy. If it doesn't work out, student loans to get you through the rest of your master's program is always an option, and you can always have a smaller or later wedding.

Since you are already committed to school, just be up front about that. You need to adjust your work schedule and work 8:30 - 4:30 and see if that is OK. I wouldn't jeopardize the ability to perform well in your classes not that you are this heavily invested in your master's degree by conceding that you are going to be so late to class every day. So if the potential gig is not going to be flexible in that regard, maybe that is what makes the decision for you.

If you do take the interview, don't tell the company you're interviewing with that you have no interest in becoming a manager, because they may see you as someone that is not a candidate for growth.

Good luck
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you aren't into management then you might want to start looking.

However................. you are so close to graduating I would hate to see a job hinder that. Maybe you could work from 8-4 until you graduate. Let them know your intentions of getting your masters.

If you don't ask you will never find out.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    blargoe wrote: »
    Is the current position/company your first since getting into IT?

No, I have over 5 years of combined IT experience, anywhere from helpdesk to network support engineer.
    blargoe wrote: »

If you do take the interview, don't tell the company you're interviewing with that you have no interest in becoming a manager, because they may see you as someone that is not a candidate for growth.
    The problem with my current job is that my boss wants me to wear many hats which in small IT organizations is the norm. But I have been given additional responsibilities which is not something I have signed up for and I'm still on the same salary. I don’t think I’ll ever forget this but he once said to me, I want my money's worth and laughed off about it. I'm doing him a favour for sticking around and school is the only reason. All the NOC/SOC positions require rotating shifts which is something I can’t do. I sometimes wish he would give me the pink slip so I can collect employment insurance, this would pay for my school plus I don’t have to deal with all the headaches.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Maybe you could work from 8-4 until you graduate. Let them know your intentions of getting your masters.
    I thought about this idea, I hope their open to it. Don’t want to demand too much during the interview or else they’ll pick the next guy. Getting off work at 4 will give me enough time to get to class.

If I do remember correctly, there was a thread about possible list of excuses to tell your employer you can’t come into work. The interview is at Noon; maybe I can come in at 8 and leave an hour early combined with my 1hr lunch. Would you take the whole day off? If so, what would you say to your employer?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,038 Admin
    From what you have described, your boss it just seeing how much he can get out of you with no additional compensation. I would advise doing whatever it takes to complete your degree and then consider how best to get out of there. Don't change jobs yet unless it would be beneficial to your schooling to do so.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    JDMurray wrote: »
    From what you have described, your boss it just seeing how much he can get out of you with no additional compensation. I would advise doing whatever it takes to complete your degree and then consider how best to get out of there. Don't change jobs yet unless it would be beneficial to your schooling to do so.

You are absolutely right JD, this man is milking me! I'll tell the hiring manager about my school and see if they can work with my schedule.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,038 Admin
    WiseWun wrote: »
    I'll tell the hiring manager about my school and see if they can work with my schedule.
    An excellent course of action!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been late to every class for the past year and a half. They always start at 5:30 or 6 and I don't get off until 6 with a 30-45 minute drive. I always check with the professor before it starts and they don't care that I show up late.

One way or another you can probably make it work.
    Decide what to be and go be it.