Love?

Money?

Other?

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Allows me to provide for my family.
    2. I like IT
    3. I like to learn and IT is a great field for learning.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. Knowledge
    2. (Probably ties with 1) Money
    3. Few careers accepting of a person with a "everything is going to fail" attitude
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    I knew Linux from when I was a teenage nerd. I went into the Air Force for something completely unrelated to IT, so my skills stagnated for 5 years. Then I got out and applied for a Linux Admin job at a hosting company (apparently remembered enough to get hired)

I'm kind of passionate about Unix, but not as much as I was when I was younger. I'd still like to expand my skills though, and hopefully one day I'll be a fat bearded Unix guru. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pram wrote: »
    I knew Linux from when I was a teenage nerd. I went into the Air Force for something completely unrelated to IT, so my skills stagnated for 5 years. Then I got out and applied for a Linux Admin job at a hosting company (apparently remembered enough to get hired)

I'm kind of passionate about Unix, but not as much as I was when I was younger. I'd still like to expand my skills though, and hopefully one day I'll be a fat bearded Unix guru. icon_cool.gif

What is it with Networking guys and *nix gurus always having beards? LOL
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    1. Money
    2. Benefits
    3. Autonomy
    4. Something I don't mind
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Better pay
    2. More challenging
    3. Better pay

Not too concerned about benefits since I don't plan on having a family.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does "trying to get out of" counts lol .. Motive was "wants to morph a hobby into a job". Now I know better and will do another job after my reincarnation (sp?)...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    1) Something I enjoy
    2) Something I easily grasp
    3) Ability to self educate
    4) Money
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Having multiple careers in I.T. gives me the resources to provide for my wife and 2 kids. Not having to have my wife work takes a lot of stress off of our shoulders and allows for us to spend the maximum amount of time with them.

Also, I plan on getting my daughter her CCNA and CCNP by the age of 13, which is the minimum age limit according to Cisco's website:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_certification_exam_policies.html

She is 7 right now and I plan on teaching her basic router configuration next year, then I plan on stepping it up to Routing Protocols, binary and subnetting.

My plan is to teach her CCNP Level Curriculum so that by the age of 13 she will be able to pass the CCNA and CCNP.

Actually, I'm joking :)

But, she has shown interest in computers so I might teach her the basics and if she really likes it I'll go from there. Sometimes I wish my father would have done something like that for me. When we are sitting at the table eating breakfast she is always asking, "where is that package going?" and I try to explain to her, "well, this going to someone in a different country and it is training material to help them study and learn about computers, kinda like you learn from your teacher at school"

She hasn't quite got a clue on what I'm doing just yet. I would like to get her into the I.T. career field if she wants, but I will definitely not push it onto her. I see too many parents try to "live through their children" and it makes me sick to my stomach to see these children pushed to do 10 extracurricular activities a week and always be on the go till the point of exhaustion.

Let them live their own lives and pursue their own careers/goals is how I see it.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope to reopen the bifrost and take my rightful place as king of Asgard. But if that doesn't work, I'll probably just provide for my mortal family here on Earth and work my way up to a decent salary through a combination of experience, a degree and certifications.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having multiple careers in I.T. gives me the resources to provide for my wife and 2 kids. Not having to have my wife work takes a lot of stress off of our shoulders and allows for us to spend the maximum amount of time with them.

Also, I plan on getting my daughter her CCNA and CCNP by the age of 13, which is the minimum age limit according to Cisco's website:

Certification Exam Policies - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

She is 7 right now and I plan on teaching her basic router configuration next year, then I plan on stepping it up to Routing Protocols, binary and subnetting.

My plan is to teach her CCNP Level Curriculum so that by the age of 13 she will be able to pass the CCNA and CCNP.

Actually, I'm joking :)

But, she has shown interest in computers so I might teach her the basics and if she really likes it I'll go from there. Sometimes I wish my father would have done something like that for me. When we are sitting at the table eating breakfast she is always asking, "where is that package going?" and I try to explain to her, "well, this going to someone in a different country and it is training material to help them study and learn about computers, kinda like you learn from your teacher at school"

She hasn't quite got a clue on what I'm doing just yet. I would like to get her into the I.T. career field if she wants, but I will definitely not push it onto her. I see too many parents try to "live through their children" and it makes me sick to my stomach to see these children pushed to do 10 extracurricular activities a week and always be on the go till the point of exhaustion.

Let them live their own lives and pursue their own careers/goals is how I see it.

I know exactly what you mean. My parents kept trying to push me into nursing. I even went so far as to get my CNA and CPR certifications and worked as a CNA in a hospital for 5 months before I finally came to my senses. I'm glad I'm finally doing what I want to do with my life now.
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Challenge and knowledge, mostly. I don't earn nearly enough at my position to consider pay being a motive icon_wink.gif
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Lol, I always thought love and passion go hand in hand. So I guess it leaves "Money" and "Other" as options?
    Uhm, I don't expect to earn my first million $$ in IT, but you never know.
    It all started in the days of dial up connections- troubleshooting modems and their Win 95 drivers, knowing AT commands, was a norm back then, and I simply "got it" when it came to fixing those things. Too bad I didn't lay my hands on something bigger than a personal Win 95 box back then, my story may have been different.
    Since dialup rode to sunset long time ago, I looked at what else is there with dark screen and commands :)
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    World Domination?

Jk.

I wanted to have a interesting job that i would be able to stand. When i was younger i didnt tihnk i could possibly stand a 9-5 job. Also information security kept me out of prison.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Challenged, knowledge, money, and just enjoying technology. Gets me through the days/weeks/years. ;)