Trying to do work that you have done in your previous company into your new one.

jakecitrixjakecitrix Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

I am not too sure if people have came across this but what is the best way of doing work in your current new company that you have previous experience with.

For example there are tons of things work and technologies that I have worked with in the past company that I do not get to do in my current one.

Has anyone come across this and whats the best way to go on about it.

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    If you really believe it is a good way of doing things, try to sell it to the decision makers (if you're not one) as a process improvement.

You have to be able to show what value is added to the company by using a certain technology, or doing things a certain way.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Bringing your former experience and knowledge to the table can never hurt, just
    plan a good presentation.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Make sure you phrase it properly also. You don't want to say "Well at my old job we did it this way" for instance, as that may not come off well with your managers. As others have mentioned, you need to show proof that the method/product you want to to implement will save the company money in the long run.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, when introducing new technologies to a company you need to sell it. Don't try to push a technology that doesn't make sense, will cost more than what's in place (if it does the same thing), etc. You need to make it worth it for the company, and show it's value.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »
    If you really believe it is a good way of doing things, try to sell it to the decision makers (if you're not one) as a process improvement.

You have to be able to show what value is added to the company by using a certain technology, or doing things a certain way.

This. Everybody does things in a different way, sometimes because someone set it up that way a no one questioned it. It is always good to inject fresh air in a stagnant room. If you can show value in terms of savings of time and/or money you are golden. Make a strong case and back it up with facts.
  • jakecitrixjakecitrix Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol u guys dont get it wht i mean is lets say u did exchange server in ur last company but in ur new one they dont let u touch it stuff like that
  • jakecitrixjakecitrix Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i am just saying what will u do if u have previous exp in technologies and they dont let u work with them in ur new role u understand what i am saying
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I wouldn't let you touch any of my systems "if u lol wrt like dis". ;)

If it isn't your job, why do you need to touch it?

Working for large companies, you can often end up in a technology silo. I have a lot of AD experience, but AD is not part of my job, so I don't have rights to AD beyond what I need to do my job. I have EMC SAN experience, and all of my servers are connected to an EMC SAN, but I never touch the SAN, that is someone elses job. etc.

The benefit is I know exactly what to ask of the people who's job it is to work with these other technologies that I happen to have experience in, when I need something done. So while I can't just go do it myself, I can still get it done in a timely manner by following the approriate procedures.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    I wouldn't let you touch any of my systems "if u lol wrt like dis". ;)

If it isn't your job, why do you need to touch it?

Working for large companies, you can often end up in a technology silo. I have a lot of AD experience, but AD is not part of my job, so I don't have rights to AD beyond what I need to do my job. I have EMC SAN experience, and all of my servers are connected to an EMC SAN, but I never touch the SAN, that is someone elses job. etc.

The benefit is I know exactly what to ask of the people who's job it is to work with these other technologies that I happen to have experience in, when I need something done. So while I can't just go do it myself, I can still get it done in a timely manner by following the approriate procedures.

+1 to ALL of this :)

It is about the principle of least privilege. I agree that it can be annoying when you are restricted from doing something you are capable of doing. But it isn't your job. There would be a huge security risk by allowing extra people access to do something that they don't need to.

Before starting my current position I had Enterprise Admin rights (to a college lab). Today, it is just simple AD access. It can be very annoying to not be able to take a look at the DNS server or to look at Sites. But I really have no reason to. When I needed to find out what the DNS scavenging policy was, I asked. Then I told them how to do it when the guy replied all asking if anyone remembered how to look it up. Not being able to clears my name if anything ever breaks.

Perhaps you accepted the wrong position if you're not doing what you would like to be?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Perhaps you accepted the wrong position if you're not doing what you would like to be?
    +1. Apply for positions that you'll be able to do what you like, or ask your manager if it's something you're really interested in.