Options

I brought some critical questions about ISP monitoring

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, i need your assistance concerned with damn censorship in my country. It reached a level even access to VPN sites is blocked by my ISP. They totally ruined everything.

What im trying to say clearly is i have some critical questions about this censorship. For now there is no legal censorship applied until 22th day of November.

Here are the questions;

1) Assume i have an Internet connection through my local ISP. My private little network consists of WAG120N
DSL modem/router and two wireless built-in laptops. While i am "only connected" either from these two laptops but no web page is open, no file is downloaded, can local ISP still see my location?

2) Assume i downloaded a free VPN client software in order to remain private. With it I set up a connection between VPN server and my either PC but, at a time i lost connection somehow. At that time, am i able to be caught by ISP? is my VPN be able to be detected? or blocked?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Uh... what country?

1. ISP gives your your IP. If youd DSL modem/router is doing NAT, they will only see that far, and everything will appear to come from it. As long as it is physically connected and powered on, they can see it.

2. Yes they can block VPN protocols, so you won't be able to connect to the remote end at all.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Uh... what country?

1. ISP gives your your IP. If youd DSL modem/router is doing NAT, they will only see that far, and everything will appear to come from it. As long as it is physically connected and powered on, they can see it.

2. Yes they can block VPN protocols, so you won't be able to connect to the remote end at all.

For "one", yes ISP gives my public IP in order for my computers to connect to the Internet. Something new made my mind confused. For ex. i send a web page request from one of my computers then my private IP addresses are mapped to a public IP. Is this public IP(that is mapped via PAT) always the one assigned by ISP to my modem/router"s WAN interface?

For "two" Around the world, so many people began searching for VPN solutions against censorship. If VPN connection is encrypted also tunnelled via strong encapsulation protocols, how is our traffic examined that time? Our location?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    For "one", yes ISP gives my public IP in order for my computers to connect to the Internet. Something new made my mind confused. For ex. i send a web page request from one of my computers then my private IP addresses are mapped to a public IP. Is this public IP(that is mapped via PAT) always the one assigned by ISP to my modem/router"s WAN interface?

The mapping that occurs happens at your router in your home. All your ISP knows about is that. Anything that happens behind that, they can't see. For example if you were to copy a file from 1 pc to the other. They don't see it because it never leaves your house. On the other hand, when you request a webpage it does go through their connection so they can choose to filter it.

You may or may not get the same public IP address from your ISP. Generally you do because you just keep renewing the same address. But their systems usually are set up to be dynamic, which means they can change. They do this because it is easier to set up and it will usually prevent you from setting up a web server at your house. Most ISP's will allow you to spend more money for a static address, but you would need to ask them.
    If VPN connection is encrypted also tunnelled via strong encapsulation protocols, how is our traffic examined that time? Our location?

It isn't. It is blocked because it could potentially contain something that they are trying to keep from you. Rather than assume it is good and allow it through they can assume that it is bad and block it.

If the latter is true, your are probably SOL. You MIGHT be able to talk to them and make a claim that the only way you can access your company's network is through VPN and that if you don't you are going to get fired. Maybe they can bend the rules or something but if you are dealing with government censorship I wouldn't bet on it. Their hands could be tied.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The mapping that occurs happens at your router in your home. All your ISP knows about is that. Anything that happens behind that, they can't see. For example if you were to copy a file from 1 pc to the other. They don't see it because it never leaves your house. On the other hand, when you request a webpage it does go through their connection so they can choose to filter it.

You may or may not get the same public IP address from your ISP. Generally you do because you just keep renewing the same address. But their systems usually are set up to be dynamic, which means they can change. They do this because it is easier to set up and it will usually prevent you from setting up a web server at your house. Most ISP's will allow you to spend more money for a static address, but you would need to ask them.

It isn't. It is blocked because it could potentially contain something that they are trying to keep from you. Rather than assume it is good and allow it through they can assume that it is bad and block it.

If the latter is true, your are probably SOL. You MIGHT be able to talk to them and make a claim that the only way you can access your company's network is through VPN and that if you don't you are going to get fired. Maybe they can bend the rules or something but if you are dealing with government censorship I wouldn't bet on it. Their hands could be tied.

It is not about my company cos im unemployed right now, but level of censorship took a high step against us. Currently, im
    connected to the Internet using VPN client via OpenVPN protocol. As a casual Internet user, i do not deserve such a thing especially i never voted for this government. Idiots did but people like me are punished.

1) Whatever, i was asking when i saw that PPP authentication is successfully done on DSL, ISP assigned me a public IP address.
    Then i sent a request from one of my PCs after PPP LED is on, my request reached my modem/router and PAT
    translation was made. Is that public IP (result of PAT) always the same with the one assigned by my ISP?

when we applied PAT on CCNA, we could be able to map private IP addresses to the WAN interface of the router (like interface serial 0 overload) not choosing from ISP pool "everytime".

2) how is my VPN blocked if its encrypted and tunnelled from my end through VPN server? Almost all of them tells their connection won't be tracked!

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Blocking and tracking are 2 different things.

The protocols that the VPN uses can be blocked. If you can't established the encrypted connection to begin with, how are you going to use it?
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Blocking and tracking are 2 different things.

The protocols that the VPN uses can be blocked. If you can't established the encrypted connection to begin with, how are you going to use it?

First, No, in that question i assumed if i made a successful connection between my client and VPN server. At that time, whats the chance of being blocked?

Second, i am subscribed to the ISP for high-speed DSL connection. I placed a wireless modem/router in my private network. i possess two laptops which i need to connect to the Internet simultaneously. On CCNA lab's NAT/PAT cases, there was a situation when private IP addresses are mapped to single public IP address but not gathered from ISP pool.

For instance,

host A local intf : 10.1.1.1/24
    host B local intf : 10.1.1.2/24

lets say modem's LAN side IP : 10.1.1.254/24 modem's WAN side IP : 88.12.34.1/24

10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 mapped to 88.12.34.1 with distinct port numbers but
    IP range given by ISP : 90.23.45.1-16

In this situation, which one should my public IP be?

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm assuming you are trying to make the VPN connection prior to the blocking and are hoping it will stay connected once the blocking is in place? I'd assume that it might stay up, but once found the connection will be cut and blocked. You need TOR.

https://www.torproject.org/

My guess is you are in Turkey....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff