Options

12+ years experience and lost in IT

Aut0d1dactAut0d1dact Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Since 1998 I have worked with many different technologies but slacked off and let myself get sucked into the JOAT roles. I never specialized in anything because I was getting paid good money and the hours were great. Here I am 12+ years later, married-2 kids, and not sure what I should do when I grow up and get ahead in my career.

The JOAT stuff is not cutting it anymore. In my current employ I’m still in the same position (Senior Programmer Analyst) I was 9 years ago when I started. The ladder is broken, or I just can't find it! I won’t get a promotion because I lack a degree, I won’t get a promotion because I have no specialty in IT, I won’t get a promotion because they like to keep me where I am to do the JOAT stuff. I blame myself for not being on the ball and doing something about it years ago.

Being employed and not keeping up with the certs & trends due to the economy I’m not sure what would be a good fit for me in IT today with future growth and compensation potential. I do know I need to do something and written down and few items.

What I do know:
  • I like creating, designing company Intranets.
  • I like working with SQL Server.
  • I’m now starting to work with SharePoint 2010 (after many years of avoiding it), and kind of like it. icon_redface.gif
  • I want to specialize in the field and no longer be a JOAT.
  • I’m not a programmer.
  • I missed an opportunity to work with a friend and possibly learning MS Dynamics.
  • I want to make more money (break into the $100+ club someday). Hey, I have kids now…
  • I started to study for my MCTS for SQL 2008, have a voucher that will expire in 5 months, lost motivation.
So I post here wondering who am I? Or better yet, who should I be in IT? Advice, thoughts, criticism.

Comments

• Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be in IT for 12+ years and only have the basic MCP, A+ and Net+ may give your supervisors the impression that you lack motivation.
    Since you like designing intranets then perhaps you should look into gettind a CCNA cert. As for making $100K/yr, that's a pretty lofty goal to have. You'll need to add some managerial/executive experience to your profile to even think about making six figures.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    Hello MrRyte,

To be honest my current employer (CIO / CTO) doesn’t care about IT certs. He is all about the sheepskin, the old boys club. However, from your experience, do you think potential employers would look at the MCP, A+, Network+ and 12 years of hands-on IT experience as a lack of motivation? Is this the state of IT in 2011? As previously mentioned "not keeping up with the certs & trends." I can understand what you’re saying but not sure I agree 100%.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Have you thought about obtaining a degree? These days there are so many options to look at Online, B&M, etc. If updating your certs is your goal, look into discounted vouchers, and used books (equipment). I never buy books new, when I can get them off of Half.com for a percentage of the original cost.

I am honestly in a similar position, and I feel that by completing my BS in IT, I will be able to move onto better things.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    MrRyte wrote: »
    To be in IT for 12+ years and only have the basic MCP, A+ and Net+ may give your supervisors the impression that you lack motivation.
    Since you like designing intranets then perhaps you should look into gettind a CCNA cert. As for making $100K/yr, that's a pretty lofty goal to have. You'll need to add some managerial/executive experience to your profile to even think about making six figures.

I'm going to have to disagree here. The experience trumps the certs. Sure there are places that put a lot of value on certs, but there are just as many, if not more, that put even more value on experience.

I think by "intranet", he was talking internal website, and not networking, so CCNA is not the way to go.

$100k/yr is not a lofty goal, especially for his location. NYC has a high salary index. I'm very close to $100k/yr, and I live in an area with a pretty low cost of living. I too have 12+ years of experience. I am not a manger or executive. There are jobs out there paying $100k+/yr for Senior/Lead level technical workers with enough years of experience. It just depends on the area.

@Aut0d1dact
    If you like SQL, why not finish the cert for it before your voucher expires? If you truly enjoy DBA work, that is usually a well paying path. Not many people really like to do it. How much SQL experience do you currently have?

While you may have been a "JOAT" for most of your career, there's probably at least 1 thing you've worked with more than others. If you liked working with it, maybe that can be your focus?
  • Options
    jts1234jts1234 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We're in pretty much the same club, except I'm about a year into fixing the problem. Management sees people that know their stuff, but don't have paper, as extremely useful. You can't as easily leave, so they can pay you less while still getting good value. If you're unmotivated to advance career-wise, so much the cheaper.

Your username implies that you love to learn... which is great. I spent my whole life doing that, but not getting it "validated by a third party." A year ago, I had no certs. A year and a half ago, I didn't have a degree (although I did have credits). By next May, I'll have three degrees and a huge pile of certifications.

In some ways I feel like a huge sell-out, but at least I plan on getting paid.

I decided to "specialize" in security, because it's such a wide-ranging topic. I love SQL and databases as well, and could see that being a tolerable "specialty." I need variety and new puzzles (and coffee, but that's another story).

You may want to look into Western Governors University. The price is right, it's possible to accelerate your progress (I've done 56 credits in my first term, and have four classes to go in order to get a second bachelors), and the people are fantastic to work with. AND... you get to double-dip: you get industry certifications that also count toward your degree. Both go on the resume...

Best of luck to you,

Tom
  • Options
    @jts1234 - Good catch. icon_thumright.gif Yes I like to learn at my own pace and consider myself a self-made geek and scholar today. College wasn't in the cards for me in the 90’s. I’m in the IT field because of the 4 years I spent reading, hacking away at the keyboard and learning all I can about computers and web design. My web design work/portfolio got me into a fortune 500 and that’s how it all began.

@ everyone - Thank you for this: “While you may have been a "JOAT" for most of your career, there's probably at least 1 thing you've worked with more than others.” Your are right and it’s always been web related. This is my strongest skill set. If I had to choose something today it would be web technologies.

I have been looking at online schools (most I can afford are nationally accredited) to get a degree and working on this part time. But In the mean time though, I wanted to stop procrastinating and focus on specializing in 1 or 2 IT areas and then continue with some part time schooling when I can. I know now, that I will get a degree but maybe not as fast I would like to.

Here’s who I am today:

I’m a web designer / Information Architect. I basically setup cooperate Intranets, start to finish, manage the CMS, train users. I create wireframes and site designs. I’m UX designer for .NET web apps developed in house, and an Applications integrator, setting up, testing and integrating new software into various departments. I do some lite SQL 2008 DBA task along with maintaining a Windows (approx 15) server development / QA environment...

The $100k is what I think I can make in the next 1-3 years or so based on my experience and new specialty. I’m close already and can obtain it if I remain here (As the JOAT and master of nothing guy) another 2/3 years just by calculating the annual raises I would get. They have been pretty much the same in the last 6 years. As mentioned I’m in the Big Apple, there are guys in IT younger, older and less technical than me making $100k+. I see it here. Sure they may have a degree but I can guarantee you its prob. in pottery and not technology. The degree makes a difference - I understand and know I will have to work harder now.

As I read the replies and think about it more. Maybe focusing on the MCTS in SQL Server 2008 (I do like some of the DBA work) and SharePoint 2010 might be a good starting point.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    I'm going to have to disagree here. The experience trumps the certs. Sure there are places that put a lot of value on certs, but there are just as many, if not more, that put even more value on experience.
    +1
    Some hiring managers value certs, some don't. Same for education, for that matter. But pretty much all hiring managers will highly value experience.

Aut0d1dact, my impression is that it will be difficult or impossible to progress further with your current company and role. I'd suggest going on some job interviews to see what's out there. Update your resume and apply for some jobs that sound interesting, and if your resume looks half-decent you will get interviews based on your experience alone. This forum is a good resource if you need help with your resume.

I'm not that familiar with SharePoint but I've heard it's hot right now, so if you like it, like creating intranet sites, and like SQL, it seems like a good area to focus on. Have you used it in any professional capacity? That will look good on your resume. Just because you are a JOAT doesn't mean your resume has to reflect this... you can and should tailor your resume to the type of position you want.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you enjoy working with SharePoint, stick with it. There is a huge demand for SharePoint engineers. Lots of companies having hard times filling positions, and (at least last year when we needed a resource) the waiting list to engage a Microsoft field engineer for anything other than break-fix was over a month.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +8 for SharePoint. If you learn SharePoint, and I mean learn it, you will be in huge demand. I was recently at a SharePoint 2010 training class and the instructors and account reps, all they talked about was the lack of qualified SharePoint people out there. You want 100k+? become SME with SharePoint.
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    Hmm, my post didn’t show up yet…

@ ALL - Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. My post was a bit long and I believe has to be approved. Didn’t realize I was just typing before I left for the day and wanted to give a little more info about what I do today in IT and mention that I will finish off my SQL Server 2008 exam 70-432 and going to look into web related technologies within IT. I see SharePoint could very well be a path I should consider even more.