Options

CCNA after Network+

3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
Im thinking if i pass the network+ while all the networking is fresh in my head to keep on going and do CCNA??

I idealy want to have MCSA and CCNA, but from what ive been told they are worlds apart ie networking compared to mangement of a network.

Comments

• Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Network + is a vendor neutral cert and is fairly easy to pass. The CCNA is all about networking with Cisco equipment and that test is a lot harder than Network +.

But, doing the Net + then CCNA is a good plan.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    The vendor specific part isn't necessarily a factor in the case of the CCNA, as it's mostly about learning how to network and internetwork. Since Cisco pretty much defines standards as far as networking these days, Cisco certs are very useful to pursue if you want a career in networking. I've found it quite easy to apply what I've learned working towards Cisco certs and on Cisco equipment to other vendors, specifically, Juniper, Nortel, and Foundry (though in Junipers case, a Unix background helps too)

The CCNA is like Net+ on crack. It supersedes the Net+, and starts digging into the surface of what networking is really all about. If you do not have a strong background in networking already, you're not going to be able to just jump in and take the CCNA and reasonably expect to pass it. But if you put in the study time, you could possibly pass in a few months, but I don't recommend it unless it's material you already mostly know.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=