Options

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

phenixphyrephenixphyre Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started working at a widely known company in June in the "Customer Technical Support". I was supposed to start with 4 other people. However due to paperwork issues that are beyond my power me and 1 other guy started 2 weeks after the other 3 guys.

Those 3 guys went through the full blown Tech Support training that lasted a full month. While me and the other guy started and were only trained on password resets. Doing password resets wasn't bad but it wasn't great. Me and the other guy asked for more training because we had pretty much mastered password changes and were getting bored with it.

I got the training that I wanted, but it was training in Customer Support, which has NOTHING to do with tech support. All 5 of us got the CS training, along with 2 other people. After CS training we go on the floor doing CS, which is ok being that they just trained us for a month to do CS.

Forward to now! The 3 other guys are going back to Tech Support while me and the other guy I started with are stuck back in CS. I dont mind talking to people but its when the calls have to do with money, I want NOTHING to do with them. Me and the other guy are promised that we will get the full blown Tech Support traingin, "when there is a need". Kinda knowing how things work around here, seems like it's gonna be a few months before there is going to a need in Tech Support.

So here is my question to everyone. Do I suck it up and deal with the crappy CS calls and wait for the Tech Support training or start loking for a new position and take a new job if offered one??

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Honestly to me it sounds like they have already answered your question for you. Considering there was paperwork issues with two new hires (you and another guy), to me it seems that they might have over filled said position. Thus, you are stuck doing Customer Support instead of Tech Support. Their need for TS could be months or more away. I would start looking for a new job, but keep at this one until you find something and have signed on the dotted line. Keep working to your full capacity, and don't let it get you down.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Well, if this is your chosen career field, how is it going to look on your resume being a CS rep?

Unless HR has you classified as Tech Support, then its just teaching you nothing.
  • Options
    galorybergaloryber Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tell myself almost everyday, there's nothing wrong with looking :)

And hey, if you find something better... good thing you were looking!

In the mean time, keep at it.
  • Options
    phenixphyrephenixphyre Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilry... The exact title of my position is Customer Technical Support....I might tell a "white lie" and cut off the Customer off of the title.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilry... The exact title of my position is Customer Technical Support....I might tell a "white lie" and cut off the Customer off of the title.

Don't do that, ever. The farthest I would ever go is to give the job description of your position, maybe. You'll be found out.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with looking elsewhere. Don't burn bridges with the current company. Unless they're totally unreasonable people they will understand when you tell them you found something else. I think in your case, you need to find something more technical (although, still will be entry level).
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    bababooey1bababooey1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blargoe brings up a good point. My exact title is "analyst, client systems." Doesn't exactly roll off the toung. I actually do level II/III desktop support. Am I supposed to stick with my exact title?
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Came here for "well, if you go there will be trouble, but if you stay it will be double".
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilry wrote: »
    Unless HR has you classified as Tech Support, then its just teaching you nothing.

Theres always something to learn so treat every job as a learning experience. Learning Customer Service may not make you better technically but it may very well make you a better tech in the long run.

Frontline techs deal directly with customers or other members of the organization and thus need the customer service skills to deal with them.

Even advanced techs however need customer service skills for when that higher-up calls and wants to know why the network is down or for when you need to explain complex network architecture to someone who knows jack about computers but holds the purse strings for your department's budget.

Your customer service skills may not directly translate but if I were doing the hiring and had the option between 2 nearly identical prospects, the one with the customer service experience will take precedence over the one without the experience, that person might even get the edge over someone with much more technical experience if the other person doesnt know how to deal with people. Hire for attitude, train for skill.

All that being said, you are clearly in a field you dont want to be in and without hard deadlines from the company for transferring into the correct position, Id absolutely be looking elsewhere for employment but as someone else has already said, continue to work at your current employer and give it your all until the end of the day of you're last day at work. You shouldnt leave until you have something else lined up and you shouldnt give the employer a reason to terminate you or not to be a good reference for you in the interim.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP