Options

WGU Healthcare IT degree

GomjabberGomjabber Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Healthcare IT caught my eye a while back as a profession that is going to be in high demand over the next few years. I don't have any healthcare experience, and from what I've read, hiring managers prefer a Healthcare background learning IT than the other way around. Still, I'm really considering giving it a shot.

WGU's Healthcare IT program... does anyone have any opinions one way or the other? You only gain two certs (A+ being one, which I already have) and I don't know if it would hold any respect out in the real world. I think I'd like to attend WGU, and the straight IT degrees I feel make you stronger strictly IT wise, but still that healthcare it degree and field is really intriguing. But I can't escape the feeling the WGU program isn't enough of the two disciplines. I read where having the WGU degree makes you eligible for a Healthcare IT cert thats well respected, so there is that aspect.

I'm working my tail off to get myself and my family into a more stable position, and I think WGU could help a lot. Just not sure if the Healthcare IT degree is a wise choice or not.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm assuming you are refering to the Health Informatics B.S. degree from the School of Nursing. There is a bit of a difference between healthcare IT and health informatics. Wikipedia has a fairly good description of health informatics here: Health informatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I've always thought of it as more on the business side of healthcare, data mining and reporting and so on. Just so you're aware of the differences, healhcare still needs regular IT people too.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    I'm assuming you are refering to the Health Informatics B.S. degree from the School of Nursing. There is a bit of a difference between healthcare IT and health informatics. Wikipedia has a fairly good description of health informatics here: Health informatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I've always thought of it as more on the business side of healthcare, data mining and reporting and so on. Just so you're aware of the differences, healhcare still needs regular IT people too.

Yes that's what I'm referring to. That's an important distinction. No time now but I will check it out later.

Any opinions on the health informatics degree?
  • Options
    mypcrepairguymypcrepairguy Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This also caught my eye, and I spoke to my mentor about it. She stated that if I wanted to I could change my degree path at any time, however I felt it prudent to do so once I earned MCITP:EA and then polish off the remaining classes needed for healthcare informatics. I am still cogitating on this and have 5 classes left before my capstone...Good luck with your decision!
    (Start date 1/01/2011) BSIT: Network Design and Management

Units to Complete: (33)
    CLC1, WFV1(LOL), AKV1, TPV1(wip), AHV1, AIV1, AJV1

Transfered Units: (34)
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1,

Completed Units by Certification: (30)
    TEV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1

:study:currently reading: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide (Exam PK0-003) by Kim Heldman and William Heldman
  • Options

Ok I've had a chance to look at the Wiki entry and if that explained the difference between Healthcare IT and Health informatics, I flat out missed it. I saw a general description of healthcare informatics and some history, info from different countries etc. The description is really broad. Could apply to both disciplines.

"Regular IT", I've never seen any mention of healthcare specific training. "Health Informatics" a blending of the two disciplines. But is WGU's program enough? Soon I'll have Sec+, that would give me the trilogy, which would knock out a significant portion of WGU's straight IT bachelors programs. But if you look up Healthcare IT, Health informatics, whatever you want to call it, the opportunity going forward is huge. No shortage of position well into 2018 and once up and running you would be occupying a killer niche that should keep in demand as the baby boom generation retires.

One of you stalwarts has to have a take on the value of the WGU Health informatics degree.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Health Informatics is the application side of things. Generally supporting HIS (Health Information System), its users and so on. The switches, hardware and OS's are generally supported by different groups although the lines can blur in smaller facilities. Is there going to be growth, sure if it's the type of work you enjoy and want to do.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management