Options

Unix Linux Cert Advice

bsdbanditbsdbandit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently working as a unix/linux systems engineer. i have 8 years experience with solaris 8,9,10 RHEL 4,5 and now 6 i code in python, ksh and now messing around with ruby. lately ive been on the certification track, just trying to better myself. so far i have network + security + linux + CLA, LPIC. I'm working on obtaining the following certification SCSA(solaris 10 Admin cert) RHCSA and RHCE. My question what would CCNA and CISSP be worth getting along with these certs ? Note: not trying to be a paper cert guy im all about really learning and not taking short cuts.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    CCNA probably not.

CISSP, maybe. Obviously you specialize in *nix, and if you want to take that specialization a step further and focus on *nix Security, then what you have + CISSP would be great.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    bsdbandit wrote: »
    i have 8 years experience with solaris 8,9,10 RHEL 4,5 and now 6. . .My question what would CCNA and CISSP be worth getting along with these certs ?

You'd probably come up with better answers than most folks here, given you have 8 years of Unix. :D

CCNA would give you some infrastructure background to go with your sys admin skills. I doubt it would be worth your energy to pursue except in these circumstances:
    1. Your role requires you to interact frequently with the NOC and/or infrastructure engineers. (You'd speak their language.)
    2. You're planning to become a network manager with broad responsibility over sysadmins/infrastructure engineers. At that point, you'd want CCNP too.
    3. You want the technical knowledge for the sheer satisfaction of learning it.

CISSP might be more helpful in that: It would add credibility to your security efforts. It might make pushing for security initiatives/funding easier.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bsdbandit wrote: »
    I'm currently working as a unix/linux systems engineer. i have 8 years experience with solaris 8,9,10 RHEL 4,5 and now 6 i code in python, ksh and now messing around with ruby. lately ive been on the certification track, just trying to better myself. so far i have network + security + linux + CLA, LPIC. I'm working on obtaining the following certification SCSA(solaris 10 Admin cert) RHCSA and RHCE. My question what would CCNA and CISSP be worth getting along with these certs ? Note: not trying to be a paper cert guy im all about really learning and not taking short cuts.

Although I am not providing an answer to your question I want to support your decision to get the Redhat certs and the Solaris certs. Major value you have in those especially since you have 8+ years of experience. Stay with that for now.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to validate your networking background, I suggest getting the Cisco certs which also includes your Redhat and Solaris certs. I am an old-school Unix/Solaris/BSD/Linux admin myself, but I am pursuing both Cisco and Redhat certs myself. Not a bad combo, if you ask me.