Options

Running Packet Tracer in Linux Ubuntu

computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
I'm trying to get packet tracer to work on ubuntu. I downloaded the wine program and now I'm stuck. I ran winecfg in terminal and now I'm not sure of the next step. The tutorial I'm using says to run wine /path/to/PacketTracer_setup.exe next, but when I ran it in terminal got an error message saying "wine: cannot find '/path/to/PacketTracer_setup.exe' ". What am I doing wrong? Here's a link to the tutorial Running Cisco Packet Tracer in Linux - Linux * Screw
There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Are you actually putting in /path/to/PacketTracer, or are you replacing it with the proper path? The wine error is telling you what the problem is - it can't find the file you've requested at the path specified
  • Options
    In the command line on terminal I put in wine /path/to/PacketTracer_setup.exe as the tutorial says to do.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Do you have any extra RAM? A last resort would be to run a virtualized Windows session with VMWare Player or VirtualBox.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I have windows install on my machine, but I hate using it. I'm just going to run packet tracer on windows. Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    In the command line on terminal I put in wine /path/to/PacketTracer_setup.exe as the tutorial says to do.

Ok, so do you actually have a directory called /path/to with PacketTracer_setup.exe in it? Or is it in some other folder, like your home directory?

You're supposed to replace the /path/to portion with the actual path to where the .exe is. For example, if I downloaded PacketTracer_setup.exe to a folder named win in my home directory, the command I'd run would be wine /home/forsaken/win/PacketTracer_setup.exe
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry getting to this kinda late, been busy with the new gig :D
    Long story, anyway
    There is a version of Packet Tracer for Ubuntu and Fedora now.
    However you do need to have access to the NetAcad site to download.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That version has been there for a while... at LEAST a year.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens