Options

How much time do you spend studying in a week?

This is my first post here but I've read a lot of success stories on this forum. I applied to WGU and I plan to start in a couple of weeks. My question is, how much time do you spend studying in a week? Considering i'm working full time, what would be a reasonable amount of study time?

Comments

• Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. It all depends on how much you are comfortable with. Assuming you work 8am-5pm, you could try whenever you get home-9pm? But again, it all depends on what you want to do.

Congrats on enrolling in WGU, good luck!
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. It all depends on how much you are comfortable with. Assuming you work 8am-5pm, you could try whenever you get home-9pm? But again, it all depends on what you want to do.

Congrats on enrolling in WGU, good luck!

Perfect answer. All depends on your ability to learn the material and what you work with (if your working in IT) It will also depend on the subject you might find some easier then others.

Good Luck!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    I'm just curious. How much time do you put in your studies?
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I'm a little lucky right now I'm able to get in about Ten hours Mon-Fri and Three to Ten hours on the weekends depending on if I'm getting close to a Certification test.

I'm currently not working but me and my wife decided it was time to suck it up and get me ahead after a few dead end jobs so we consolidated a few things and decided to send me back to school for a couple of years this is my last Semester at my Tech school and by February I should be a MCITP-EA and by the end of next Summer I'll have an associates degree from a local college that works with my tech school just a few online classes and I'll be done. I have prior experience in IT working five years but with no Certs it was hard to find a job in IT without them.

You need to get your study time in one thing you need to do to make it happen is make sure that you significant other if you have one is to understand how much this is going to get you ahead in your field and life.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phaneuf1 wrote: »
    This is my first post here but I've read a lot of success stories on this forum. I applied to WGU and I plan to start in a couple of weeks. My question is, how much time do you spend studying in a week? Considering i'm working full time, what would be a reasonable amount of study time?

Not much in my case. Iam the Tsar. At work, I have no time to study. When not at work, Im thinking about work. Certification is mainly the province of the 'wannabee', once you are at the level when you are lead architect you need to get on with it! Little time for studying and to be honest, studying more doesn't solve your problems! Even the CCIE doesn't solve half of the headaches I have as lead technical architect on my platform. LACP constraints with Checkpoint and VSS?? It aint tested! It isn't even documented, but the decision point is serious and costs a lot of money! It isn't even tested in the CCDE or the CCA which remains a Cisco certification for fanboys.

What I will say is studying for the CCIE keeps me switched on for the technologies. But for design, pretty much all tracks are useless as they study the track in terms of 'we are the way forward', which they are not. There are commercial considerations! They lie to you to sell boxes, and dont expose the problems so you buy something else.

You have to make a decision, and if you get it wrong it's your fault.

Fun :)
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    phaneuf1 wrote: »
    I'm just curious. How much time do you put in your studies?

I'm not enrolled in WGU (But I am studying for the CCIP - BGP/MPLS Exam)... On a good day I'll get 3 hours in, of course lately I've been working 12 hour days so many studying has been limited to the weekend.. Saturday and Sunday I'll try for 6-8 hours both days.

Study is all dependent on per person and per topic basis.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I probably study for certs 10-15 hours / week, mostly at work during downtime.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Goes it cycles.

A lot of time I will study for 3-4 months pretty diligently then take the exam and relax for a while.

When I am on it's probably 10-20 hours a week

When I am off it's more like 5
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    About 30 hours.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Between 15 to 20 hours a week on average, sometimes as much as 40 if we get a lull at work and I actually have the opportunity to engage in some uninterrupted study time on my employers dime.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I spend a minimum of 20 hours a week, sometimes up to 26. Full time school, and certs.