Options

Becoming a software engineer as an IS major

davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to be a systems analyst/project manager but i want to open myself to other options. My second choice in occupation would be in software engineering. I know that IS majors can do software engineering but CS majors have the advantage with deeper technical knowledge.

Would it be hard to get my foot in the door as a software engineer as an IS major? What can I do to increase my chance?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL sometimes it takes time to get replies, patient young grasshopper. It's going to depend on your course work whether or not you could easily become a software engineer. I have a friend who was an IS major, but had lots of programming classes. He's now some sort of Linux Sys Admin/Programmer hybrid. So if you know a language fluently, then I suppose you shouldn't have a problem. But as you know, Software Engineering/Computer Science majors will have the advantage. So aim for experience or coursework in the subject to get a job in that field.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Grinch. What languages are common for SEs? My course-work only includes one a VB.NET class, however, more programming courses are available for electives. I can only pick two electives and I will either have to go the PM route or the programming route.

I was hoping that there is a big demand for software engineering for business applications. There is only so much information out there though. What language is recommended for business applications?

As far as my course work, I'm only required to take one programming class (which I'm in) to graduate. It is a VB.NET class. We also have the option to take more programming courses for our electives. These are our options for electives:

IS Technology
    Project Management
    E-Business & Web Development
    IT Projects
    Advanced Programming for Business
    Java Programming for Business Applications

I can pick two for my electives. I was thinking of either going with Project Management/IS Tech/IT Projects or Advanced Programming/Java Programming. Since I would not be a PM until later in my career, wouldn't the programming/technical classes be more useful straight out of college?

I could also go the network/database analysis routes but I want the higher paying positions.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not going to lie, a course in Project Management could really do wonders for ones career. As far as the language choice goes, really depends on the area that you live in. I am in the Philadelphia area and I see job postings that center around three basic areas:

C#/.Net - Sometimes I see Visual Basic and I always find a lot of schools use VB as their starting point, you'll see some job postings for VB.net
    Java - Java seems like a pretty big one and used in all different industries
    PHP/Web Development - Seems like there has been an explosion of jobs looking for PHP Web Developers

Of the languages, I believe Java will probably be the best bet. If your course of study provided foundations in programming then you shouldn't have a hard time picking up other languages as needed. Just about every CS/SE major takes courses in programming theory, where there is no language, but the course covers how modern languages should act. Given the course work (I am not a manager and don't have any idea how they hire programmers), I believe you could probably find a position as a programmer. I know there are a couple companies in my area (and around the country) that will hire you based off of the programming courses and then move you through their internal courses to build up your skills. Below is an example of a job posting for the Vanguard Technology Leadership Program:

Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks career-oriented individuals for the Technology Leadership Program (TLP). The program is available to graduating college seniors, who are ready to enter the business world and eager to develop their IT skills using the latest technology, including:

* Databases: DB2, Oracle, SQL Server.
    * Platforms/Servers: zOS, Solaris, Windows, Linux, Web and Application, .NET, Spring, Web Services.
    * Languages/Tools: Java, JSF, Ajax, JavaScript, C/C++/C#, XML, XSLT, HTML, XHTML, CSS, COBOL, JCL, Maven, Hudson, Subversion, Nexus, JTest, Open Source, Dreamweaver.
    * Concepts: Distributed, Tiered, Data Driven, Test Driven, Domain Driven Design, Service Oriented Architecture.

About the program

The Technology Leadership Program is a comprehensive, one-year training and development program for select new IT hires at Vanguard. But it doesn't end there. Your growth and development will continue to thrive with new and exciting challenges. And our IT leadership team will be there to help you reach your full potential with ongoing coaching and mentoring.

You'll receive comprehensive training and development designed to expand your skill set and help you understand what makes Vanguard a unique company. You'll work on projects that support key business groups and initiatives, and attend structured technical training that maximizes your strengths and helps you reach your professional goals. With the guidance of seasoned professionals, you'll develop new solutions that have immediate and meaningful application to our clients.

Program support

During your time in the program, you'll attend a number of professional business and technical training courses at Vanguard University®, our award-winning, on-site educational facility. You also will work closely with IT professionals committed to your growth and development. This combination of classroom and on-the-job training lets you apply and test what you're learning with the full support of your IT group. Throughout your career at Vanguard, you'll participate in ongoing training and professional development opportunities at Vanguard University, as well as through our tuition reimbursement benefit. Once you launch out of the formal program, you'll continue to be challenged with exciting opportunities. Vanguard believes in having their crew broaden out their skill sets and take on new assignments as they move grow and develop. So if you like to continually be challenged, Vanguard IT is the place for you.

About the position

In the Java developer role, you will join a dynamic team that delivers large, custom-developed, robust, netcentric software solutions to Vanguard clients. In addition, you will gain first-hand knowledge to design patterns, test-driven development, Unix commands and scripting, unit and integration testing techniques, and others. In addition, our Java developers work on project teams comprised of multiple technical disciplines (e.g. Business Systems Analysts, Systems Testers, Cobol DB2 Developers, User Interface Designers, Subject Matter Experts, etc.), so you will have the opportunity to use analysis and design skills in a fast-paced team environment.

Available in Pennsylvania and North Carolina

Qualifications

The ideal candidate is a graduating college senior who possesses:

* Bachelor's or master's degree with a concentration in computer science, computer engineering, or related technical/engineering discipline required.
    * Mathematics, MIS, Graphic Design majors are also encouraged to apply.
    * Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher preferred.
    * Demonstrated leadership skills
    * Effective analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills.
    * Ability to work independently as well as part of a team in a dynamic environment.

Note: Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a successful drug-screening result.

This example below is for a regular entry level programmer (Java) at the same company:

Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks an entry-level developer to provide entry-level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based systems.

Your primary duties and responsibilities will include:

* Providing entry-level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware; integrating third-party products.
    * Translating technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients; developing code that reuses subroutines or objects, is well structured, includes sufficient comments, and is easy to maintain; writing programs, ad hoc queries, and reports.
    * Elevating code into the development, test, and production environments on schedule; providing follow-up production support; submitting change control requests and documents.
    * Learning and following software development methodology; learning and following architecture standards.
    * Participating in design, code, and test inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues; participating in other meetings, such as those for use case creation.
    * Participating in systems analysis activities, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
    * Writing the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables, including the version description document; assisting technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g., systems testers, test plans) or writing these items if on a small team.
    * Acting as a system tester for unit, integration, systems, acceptance, and related testing; writing the test plan to ensure requirements are satisfied.
    * Learning client business functions and technology needs; learning Vanguard's tools, technologies, and applications/databases, including those that interface with business area and systems.
    * Learning and complying with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones; learning and complying with all Information Security policies and procedures.
    * Participating in special projects and performing other duties as assigned.

Qualifications

The ideal candidate should possess:

* An undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
    * Two years or less of general business experience, including one year or less of developer or systems analyst experience.
    * Good written and oral communication skills.
    * Good analysis and problem-solving skills.
    * Good attention to detail.

Working knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:

* Systems analysis and design techniques.
    * System/subsystem requirements.
    * Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards.
    * Screen, report, and query design.

Working knowledge of current versions of the following products:

* Microsoft Office Suite.
    * Visio.
    * Working knowledge of one or more development tools and programming languages in the SOE/SDE list.
    * Working knowledge of one or more IT platforms.
    * Working knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages in the SOE/SDE list preferred.
    * Java experience (required).

Note: Vanguard is not providing visa sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a successful drug-screening result.

So as I said, aim for a company that has some sort of developer program that will build you up. Usually these programs will look for varying skills and a knowledge of the language. I think you definitely have a shot at becoming a programmer, but might have to sell your program being well rounded for all aspects of IT (I say this not seeing your entire course load, so basing it off of what most IS/IT programs require). I have a friend at Vanguard who entered the TLP program for Support Analysts. She completed a years worth of Unix training (our program required we complete three linux courses in Red Hat, she was a SGT/Detective so beyond the coursework there was no hands on experience). In speaking with her now, she is an awesome Unix Admin and is doing all kinds of fun stuff. She proved she had the soft skills they needed and a willingness to learn, which got her the position over other candidates with a more solid experience in Unix/Linux. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    davidboy wrote: »
    Would it be hard to get my foot in the door as a software engineer as an IS major? What can I do to increase my chance?

Get involved with an open source project or make your own and post the code somewhere (github, googlecode, etc.). If you show up front that you have practical experience under your belt (and that you enjoy it enough to do it in your free time), you will have an easier time getting an interview. The better the code (and documentation) the more interested they will be.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. What if I take on an internship as a QA analyst and slowly start developing my skills from there? I have an interview for that position next week and I know that I could learn java here.

Also, how do I decide between systems analysis, software engineering, database management, and networking?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't let academic snobbery get in your way. As far as software engineering goes, there is no absolute requirement that you even need a degree. It will come down to how well you teach yourself and how much effort you put into improving yourself.

Honestly, unless you are going to be a medical doctor (or similar) or an attorney, having a degree goes a long way, regardless of what you majored in.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro