Options

Need help with Healthcare IT Job Interview

Hello everyone, I was very fortunate to receive a phone interview this afternoon for a healthcare IT job. I know I have the IT experience for the position, but unfortunately, I don't have any healthcare education or healthcare work experience.

Has anyone been in my position?

What did you tell the prospective interviewers during the interview on what you can do to adapt to it? I wanted to see if I can paraphrase it into my own words for today's interview and for any future interviews (hopefully this week).

Any advice I can get to let them know that I can handle the healthcare environment with my regular IT skillset?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I wouldn't worry too much about the healthcare related questions unless the job is supporting a clinical application. Just be honest about your experience and that you are willing and eager to learn in the healthcare environment. Healthcare can be a totally different animal with all the modalities interacting with Electronic Medical Record systems that they can't expect people to have unless you work in a healthcare environment. You may want to do a little research to understand HIPAA.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    What exactly are the job responsibilities? An IT job at a Healthcare organization does not mean it is "Healthcare IT". Unless they want you to support Healthcare Apps or Equipment (think Epic, McKesson, Draegar, Phillips, GE, etc) full time, don't think of it as "Heathcare IT".

I went to work for a Healthcare provider with 1 large hospital and a dozen or so clinics spread across the region for a couple years. Before that I'd only ever worked in the Aerospace/Defense industry. My primary role was working with Exchange, but I also did AD and other stuff. They could care less that I'd never worked in Healthcare before, because things like AD, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, Windows servers, etc. are not unique to Healthcare. 2 years working there, and I only ever touched 1 actual healthcare system. It was an EKG system used in ambulances that could send the EKG data to a hospital while en-route. It relied heavily on systems I was responsible for, so they just gave the whole thing to me.

Having knowledge of any type of regulatory compliance that is anywhere near HIPAA, will help. Read up on HIPAA if you don't know anything about it, and try to think of what knowledge/experience you have that is similar. It is something you can always learn (and will most likely have to) after starting a job, but showing you have at least a basic understanding of it could set you apart from other candidates.
  • Options
    Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
    Everyone wrote: »
    What exactly are the job responsibilities? An IT job at a Healthcare organization does not mean it is "Healthcare IT". Unless they want you to support Healthcare Apps or Equipment (think Epic, McKesson, Draegar, Phillips, GE, etc) full time, don't think of it as "Heathcare IT".

I went to work for a Healthcare provider with 1 large hospital and a dozen or so clinics spread across the region for a couple years. Before that I'd only ever worked in the Aerospace/Defense industry. My primary role was working with Exchange, but I also did AD and other stuff. They could care less that I'd never worked in Healthcare before, because things like AD, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, Windows servers, etc. are not unique to Healthcare. 2 years working there, and I only ever touched 1 actual healthcare system. It was an EKG system used in ambulances that could send the EKG data to a hospital while en-route. It relied heavily on systems I was responsible for, so they just gave the whole thing to me.

Having knowledge of any type of regulatory compliance that is anywhere near HIPAA, will help. Read up on HIPAA if you don't know anything about it, and try to think of what knowledge/experience you have that is similar. It is something you can always learn (and will most likely have to) after starting a job, but showing you have at least a basic understanding of it could set you apart from other candidates.

Hey Everyone,

Here's the responsibilities:

* Provide product software support for our product and 3rd party products and add-on’s as required
    * Effectively identify and document customer issues providing all required symptom information and troubleshooting steps, troubleshoot and provide problem resolution to customers using basic and advanced troubleshooting methods, documented procedures and available tools provided within the scope and bounds of GE services
    * Receive, research, and resolve customer questions and problems within the software products we support for our customers including handling case assignment regarding customer questions/concerns within supported product related to: Practice management system/Electronic Medical Records, Desktop and Server Operating * * * Systems (Microsoft), Database issues (SQL Server), Interface/Integration with 3rd Party Products and Clinical Workflow
    * Manage a queue of multiple customer issues and effectively interact and communicate with our customer base; handle all cases in a timely and efficient manner consistent with department processes and Service Level Agreements (SLA)
    * Case management accountability – take ownership of cases and corresponding resolutions
    * Provide exceptional customer service experience while troubleshooting customer issues via phone, email or remote connection
    * Identify and help develop best practices within the support ream and overall business
    * Educate clients on the application of our software and its features, support processes and SLA’s
    * Appropriately initiate escalations process to ensure management awareness of problems that are several in nature or that are exceeding documented targets
    * Call intake/triaging
    * Misc. duties including but not limited to management of team mailbox, etc.

And the Qualifications:

* Bachelor’s Degree (or High School Diploma/GED and 4 years experience support software applications and related infrastructure in a technical support/services role)
    * Required minimum 2 years experience supporting software applications and related infrastructure in a technical role/services role
    * Minimum of 2 years in Customer Service role in a call center environment providing technical support directly to the end-user customers
    * Intermediate working knowledge of PC and standard PC software including Microsoft Office and database programs
    * Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Windows Operating System (XP/Vista/Outlook/PowerPoint)
    * Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Server Operating System (200/2003/200icon_cool.gif. Microsoft SQL (2002/2005/200icon_cool.gif, including installation, troubleshooting, administration and performance optimization
    * Demonstrated experience with Microsoft networking, Active Directory, and TCP/IP LANs
    * Must be willing to Travel (< 10%)
    * You must be willing to take a drug test.
    * You must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including for example, verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background.
    * You must be legally authorized to work in the United States without work sponsorship at the time of hire.
    * You must submit your resume through gecareers.com or a job board to be considered for a specific job opening

Desired Qualifications:

* A strong dedication to quality customer service including strong verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills
    * Superior telephone etiquette and an ability to deal effectively with customers, peers, and management
    * Previous or current experience with HL7 interfaces
    * Previous or current experience with
    * 2+ Years’ experience in a clinical environment
    *Prior experience in the HealthCare Field
    * Intermediate medical office process workflow knowledge including scheduling, billing and charting visits.
    * Self-motivated, confident, strong interpersonal skills and excellent customer relation skills
    * Initiative and self-motivated
    * Strong problem solving skills
    * Proven ability to quickly learn new applications, processes, and procedures
    * Proven ability to work in a cross functional team environment
    * Previous or current experience with Centricity PM and/or EMR software
    * Extensive knowledge of Kryptiq software line and its application in a medical office environment
    * Experience in a telephone driven customer service or help desk role

Now that I'm looking over this again, it does look like more of an IT role, but I just want to be prepared for any healthcare questions that might be IT related or non-IT related.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Sounds like a vendor (GE?) tech support gig... not an actual Healthcare provider. I read that as taking phone calls from Healthcare IT pros at various Healthcare providers that use the products (software?) made by the company you're interviewing with.

They will train you on their product. The systems mentioned (Windows, SQL, AD, etc.) are what their software relies on, so you need to understand those.

If you have most of the "wish list" with the only exception being the Healthcare experience, you'll probably be OK.

HL7 = Healthcare specific.
    2+ years experience in a clinical environment = healthcare specific.
    PRioer experience in the Healthcare field = obviously healthcare specific.
    Medical office mentioned a acouple times
    EMR = Healthcare specific.

All those are "Desired" though, so unless it comes down to you and 1 person with everything you have + those, you have a fair chance. ;)

Good luck.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The duties/skills listed are pretty industry agnostic and apply for basically anything. I see that they threw in a couple of industry specific items but remember, that is just their wish list for a perfect candidate. Chances are if you are a good candidate they will be more than happy to train you on those. Do not overthink it.

Like Everyone said, any kind of regulatory framework knowledge is extremely valuable. I am not sure you have the time, but there's tons of free online training that will give you the basics. The knowledge you gain can definitely help you for that interview. For example, knowing what PHI is and what role IT plays will definitely be an advantage.

My recommendation: In the future, try to push that follow-up interview a day or two. I will give you some time to regroup and analyze the data you received from that initial phone interview. If it is a new industry, research the heck out of it as long as time allows. See how you fit in and how you can adapt your knowledge and experience.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    That description is all over the board. It looks like it will be mostly help desk supporting GE Centricity. Good luck with the interview.
    WGU grad