Options

Life after A+

diddy_tongdiddy_tong Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well - just passed my A+, in no small part due to lurking around these forums! I'm trying to decide on what to do next, so any advice would be appreciated.

A bit of background: I work for a small charity (between 4-8 employees during the time I've been there). The unofficial part of my job is dealing with all things IT, as we don't have a dedicated person to do that. We don't use any server software, so it's effectively consumer desktop support, backing up systems etc. I also do some of freelance work for a friend of mine who has a student housing business. They provide internet access as part of their service - I look after this in 35 houses - so things like configuring routers, wireless access points/bridges, plus being on the end of the phone for 200 students when their internet stops working! (I don't get that many calls, which I take as a sign I'm doing my job!)

Despite these things being the secondary part of what I do, it's the part I enjoy most, so I'm looking to get into IT fulltime, hence taking the A+. Given what I've said, and that the most likely starting point is some kind of helpdesk/1st line position, what would be the best certifications to take next? Options would be Network+, or Microsoft cert (MCITP - Desktop Support -70-680, 70-685 seem the most relevant), or even CCENT.

I'm leaning towards the MS certs as they would seem to fit best; but do I need the Network+ knowledge before doing them? MCITP seems to be more sought after in job adverts I've seen. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    My path after A+ is Net+ and 70-680. Seems to be the best path to me.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    If you know enough to pass Microsoft exams and the CCENT, then the Network+ may not be worth your while. In your position, I would rather save time and money and just go after the MCITP and CCNA. If you still feel you're not ready for those exams, take the Network+ and it'll help to prepare you for those harder certs. That's my two cents, hope it helps, good luck!
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you may have some networking knowledge already. I just started working on the 70-642 book and I'm glad I took the the network+. There's a lot of terminology that isn't explained in detail that you are expected to know; it would be that much harder without the network+ foundation.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like the idea of getting a Windows 7 certification.

It seems your objective is getting a help desk gig. Well I think with A+ and your experience you are already there. However, if you wanted to really lock in and give yourself a great chance I think a Windows 7 certification would be great. I can't remember which one is application support but I think it's 70-685 or 686. I would look at one of those.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    As joehalford01 mentioned, networking knowledge is a definite requirement for Microsoft certifications. A network+ cert helps ensure you have that knowledge, but you may have it already, so you may be able to start right into Windows 7.

Microsoft certs are much different than A+ certs so I would not recommend starting with the MCITP exams (70-685 or 70-686). Books on those certs assume knowledge from the 70-680 exam and if you don't have that knowledge, you can get discouraged rather quickly. In other words, if you choose the Windows 7 Microsoft route, I'd suggest starting with 70-680.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    blog
  • Options
    diddy_tongdiddy_tong Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to buy a Network+ book (Mike Myers), and go through the content. Then I'll decide whether to take the exam or to move on to something else.

Cheers!