Options

Finish MCSA or start CCNA?

nycguy1128nycguy1128 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I’ve got a bit of a problem and I’m not sure what the best course of action would be. I’ve been working in a Desktop Support role at a major investment bank for the last 4 years and it is really time for a change. I got my MCP just before getting this job and then started on with the MCSA in Windows Server 2003. I have only the 70-291 remaining. Now my problem is that I haven’t really done any studying for this test in almost a year (family health issues made it hard to study). Should I start picking up this test again to complete the MCSA before moving onto the CCNA? I'm sure it will be nice to have the MCSA listed on my resume but I’m just wondering if it would be worthwhile since it is for Server 2003. Also, seeing my company being on an outsourcing binge for 2 years and outsourcing a large part of their server administrators I've been reconsidering pursuing the Server Administration field.

Thanks for your help and thanks to all the members that make this such an informative forum!

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nycguy1128 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I’ve got a bit of a problem and I’m not sure what the best course of action would be. I’ve been working in a Desktop Support role at a major investment bank for the last 4 years and it is really time for a change. I got my MCP just before getting this job and then started on with the MCSA in Windows Server 2003. I have only the 70-291 remaining. Now my problem is that I haven’t really done any studying for this test in almost a year (family health issues made it hard to study). Should I start picking up this test again to complete the MCSA before moving onto the CCNA? I'm sure it will be nice to have the MCSA listed on my resume but I’m just wondering if it would be worthwhile since it is for Server 2003. Also, seeing my company being on an outsourcing binge for 2 years and outsourcing a large part of their server administrators I've been reconsidering pursuing the Server Administration field.

Thanks for your help and thanks to all the members that make this such an informative forum!

There is something to be said with completing a task. Psychologically it will benefit you to complete the MCSA. It's no easy feat and you are so close. I would study 291 like gang busters and proudly place the MCSA on your resume.

If you are up to the CCNA after the fact then go for that.

But hey that's just me.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    There is something to be said with completing a task. Psychologically it will benefit you to complete the MCSA. It's no easy feat and you are so close. I would study 291 like gang busters and proudly place the MCSA on your resume.

If you are up to the CCNA after the fact then go for that.

But hey that's just me.

+1

I would complete the MCSA first. I have found that the MCSA and MCSE titles are still relevant in the industry.

Heck, even if you decide to get into the networking arena, having the MCSA will make you a more well rounded net admin.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    agreed, finish the MCSA, then move on to CCNA
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    MCSA, build up that confidence (like was previously said), and kick the CCNA's butt!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    nycguy1128nycguy1128 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice everybody! MCSA is it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nycguy1128 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everybody! MCSA is it.

Let us know how you do.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    There is something to be said with completing a task.
    ^^This! I know you've already decided, but I have to say that everyday you put off the 291 makes it more and more likely you will never finish the MCSA.

Our choices have a certain type of inertia with them and once you start to actively put some thing off, not just the "I'l do it tomorrow" sort of procrastination, in favor of another task like the CCNA - you will likely never return to complete the first one.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Finish what you started. Also, it helps validate your work experience; it is a perfect compliment to your recent past on your resume.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...