Options

Landed a job with a good amount of Linux involved..should I crank out Linux certs

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
I found a position where I'll be using linux to troubleshoot equipment and some other techincal support duties. I was thinking about cranking out Linux certs (maybe L+, LPIC-2, LPIC-3, some red hat certs) within my 1st year of being there and after the 1 year of experience and possibly 3-5 linux certs..then possibly looking for some type of linux sys. admin job? I was looking at some job posting and a lot of them have 1 year as a min., so I'm thinking the certs may help me out. I bet the pay would be a lot better!

Not to many entry level IT jobs let you mess around with linux that much, so I was thinking I should use it to my advantage.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Sounds like a good plan to me! Congrats on your new job, also!
  • Options
    mario21mario21 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That would be a great goal
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that my goal before this job was to get into networking(maybe wireless) but after getting this job, I think I should maximaze my opportunity with this new linux role. I would enjoy both networking and linux jobs, even though I might feel like I wasted my time getting my CCNA (but it could help later on in my career?).

Is it a good idea to maybe abandon my networking job/career hunt for now and start working towards a linux career? I've always heard in IT, EXPERIENCE IS #1 (over education and certs)!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    did they reference your CCNA in the interview?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Not really, they said it was nice I had the knowledge because I'll troubleshoot network connections every once in a while.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say, see how it goes with the position and evaluate after. Perhaps you'll love working on Linux and decide that you don't care as much about networking. In turn, maybe you decide you hate Linux and want to stick to networking. Won't know till you try and networking skills will always be a good thing to have either way. Congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks again grinch for the feedback. I start soon, Ill make sure to post my opinions about the job.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Thanks again grinch for the feedback. I start soon, Ill make sure to post my opinions about the job.

Definitely do that! We'd love to know how its going.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'm with the Grinch on this. Work the job, gain the experience, and see how you like the Linux side as opposed to the network side. Also, a lot of network devices have Unix like (or based) OSes, so you'll be familiar with the environment of both systems and networking. All of these skill sets tie in well together, no matter if the focus is security, networking, or systems. So, gaining experience and seeing what environment you enjoy is the best possible thing you can do.

Congrats on the position.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Not really, they said it was nice I had the knowledge because I'll troubleshoot network connections every once in a while.

Sounds like the job is focused on Linux with no real networking other than host configuration. Not a bad thing, Linux server administration would probably be my second choice after networking tbh.
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    The only Linux cert worth a damn is RHCE imo. Linux+ isn't a bad idea though since you get four for the price of one (only reason I did it first)