Options

COMPTIA SECURITY + requirements

samuel.lao85samuel.lao85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I would like to know which requirements should I need to take the SECURITY+ certification test.

Is it necessary the NETWORK+ certification ?
Soon I will take the CCNA test, hopefully I will pass it and then I´m thinking on SECURITY+ but I don´t know if I could apply for it.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    The only requirement to take the exam is money. The objectives recommend you have two years of experience but this isn't a requirement. A good place to look is at CompTIAs web site:
    CompTIA Security+ Certification

Up until December 31, 2011, you have the choice of taking either the SY0-201 or SY0-301 exam. This blog article outlines some of the differences:
    Security+ SY0-201 and SY0-301 Differences

You'll find that networking knowledge will help you a lot with the Security+ exam. It wor't include any commands for Cisco devices like the CCNA exam, but will include a lot of the same networking basics.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    blog
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I strongly recommend a course in Information Security before you take this test. You could just buy a study guide or a set of videos, but that probably wouldn't be as helpful. Don't just rely on your CCNA skills to get you a passing score. Take some practice tests, including the ones available on this site, to see what I mean. If I hadn't already taken a class, I think I'd still be lost.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Simple answer buy Darril Gibsons book for 201, Read the book, flash cards, take exam. You don't need a security course to pass Security+.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Blackout wrote: »
    Simple answer buy Darril Gibsons book for 201, Read the book, flash cards, take exam. You don't need a security course to pass Security+.

Flash cards, really? You use flash cards to learn addition and subtraction, not to pass a professional certification exam. I'm also not for studying from books because all books do is put words in your head. For this test, I think you will need a better understanding of information security than a book can provide. People are different, though. Just prepare to use the money you saved by not taking a class to retake the test about five times.
  • Options
    I haven't seen one person on this forum state they have taken a class for info sec to pass security+.

And yes flashcards. I read DG's book over a six day period and passed easily. The test is easy. I found Network+ was far more difficult.

If the OP can pass CCNA, which imo is 1000 times harder than the security+ exam, he should have zero issues studying for this exam.

If everyone on this forum took a class for every cert we would all be in debt.

• Options
    Well, like I said each person is different. Just because you passed the 201 on the first try (that's what I'm assuming) doesn't mean everyone can. I don't think the Network+ is very difficult.
    Anyway, the OP is studying for the CCNA but has not passed it yet. I was studying for that one but opted for Security+ instead.
  • Options
    Try and find a I failed Security+ thread on this forum, I haven't read one post about someone failing Security+. I read DG's book because everyone on here praised it. It explained in Detail everything I needed to know for the exam. Security+ is an entry level cert, this isn't CISSP, EC-Council, or SANS. You should be able to self study for S+ and pass without the need for a 2000 dollar class.

• Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142

Since I was focusing on CCENT, I have not looked into Sec+ But I am now as it is one WGU cert to go after and cross off... I wanted to get it done as well before the deadline.. and 152 5 Star Reviews makes this a solid book even more so with support from TE members
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    samuel.lao85samuel.lao85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok guys, thanks for your responses....

I thought S+ required an entry level certfication....
  • Options
    Try and find a I failed Security+ thread on this forum, I haven't read one post about someone failing Security+. I read DG's book because everyone on here praised it. It explained in Detail everything I needed to know for the exam. Security+ is an entry level cert, this isn't CISSP, EC-Council, or SANS. You should be able to self study for S+ and pass without the need for a 2000 dollar class.
    Okay, fine. Nobody's ever failed the 201 because it's so easy. The 301 is a little harder. A person might still be able to pass by simply studying from a book or flash cards, but that seems to me like a braindump. I think that a class is necessary to really understand the material and I wouldn't recommend less to anyone.
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took the exam today and passed. You don't need any other pre-req to take the test except money like Darril stated.
    On a side note, I think its kinda pricey for a entry level exam... $266 zzzz

I took about 2 weeks to read through his SYO-201 book. Then took a few practice exams. But to tell you the truth, the book is probably enough.
    I was pretty much able to answer 90% + of the practice question without easily.
    X
  • Options
    How in the **** is reading a book a braindump? The same material you learn in your class is the same material in security books, don't try and bring others down cause you can't read or have zero reading comprehension.

• Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Study Techniques, Why Study with Flashcards?

This is a very common and widely used technique. It is no way shape or form a brain ****. Further more, the mere suggestion to not read has lowered any advice you ever give to be disregarded.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    How in the **** is reading a book a braindump? The same material you learn in your class is the same material in security books, don't try and bring others down cause you can't read or have zero reading comprehension.

Awfully defensive, aren't we? What have I said that has brought you down? Did I say that reading books is worthless? Did I say that you shouldn't take this exam if you haven't taken a class? Did I say that no one should read a book on Information Security, or merely suggest that reading a book or using flash cards alone might not be enough for some people? I really don't agree with the flash card method anyway.

The fact is that I have a degree in Information Technology, and I also study nightly from a book. I feel that the classes enabled me to understand the reading and will help me in the real world. I wouldn't recommend anything less to anyone, regardless of level of comprehension.
  • Options
    KrisA wrote: »
    Study Techniques, Why Study with Flashcards?

This is a very common and widely used technique. It is no way shape or form a brain ****. Further more, the mere suggestion to not read has lowered any advice you ever give to be disregarded.

I never said not to read. I don't know where this is coming from. I've never used flashcards. Do they provide you with an explanation of the answer and why the others are wrong, or do they just show you the answer and maybe give you a website for reference?
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Michael2 wrote: »
    I never said not to read. I don't know where this is coming from. I've never used flashcards. Do they provide you with an explanation of the answer and why the others are wrong, or do they just show you the answer and maybe give you a website for reference?

No, but books and the intellect to understand the contents do. Several people self-study and do just fine, the choice to go to a class is just that, a choice. Suggesting that people working on Security+ need to take a class is a bit over the top. You should go into the CCIE threads and tell them that self-study doesn't work well. I'd love to hear their responses.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Who's saying that self-study doesn't work? All I said was that I recommend taking a class. You can take my advice or not, I really don't care. If any of you who like to argue noticed, somebody said you don't need to take a class, implying that classes are worthless. I think it's wrong to tell people not to consider the option. Self-study may not be worthless, but it is definitely no replacement for taking a course.
  • Options
    Flash cards, really? You use flash cards to learn addition and subtraction, not to pass a professional certification exam. I'm also not for studying from books because all books do is put words in your head. For this test, I think you will need a better understanding of information security than a book can provide. People are different, though. Just prepare to use the money you saved by not taking a class to retake the test about five times

Your all over the place in this thread, first you mocked the idea of Flashcards, and in the same paragraph state that your not for studying for books, "Because its just putting words in your head."

You do go on to say people are different though, basically telling the OP and everyone else that without a course, they should be prepared to retest multiple times due to inability "to Grasp the concepts".

Judging by your previous posts im going to go ahead and assume you don't currently have your security+ certification. My suggestion, which you have allready showed multiple times in this thread that you don't care about anyones suggestions but your own, is to take the cert, pass and then give people advice.

This isn't ITdegrees.net, this is Techexams.net, people come here for information and guidance on how to study and pass certifications.

I never once implied that taking a class was "Worthless", I was mearly suggesting that taking a class for security+ is overkill. Taking a class for CCNA? On the money, Taking a Class for MCITP? On the money. Paying outrageous amounts of money for a certification that 99 percent of people pass with "Self Study", not so much.